Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving Across France, Itinerary Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Driving Across France, Itinerary Ideas?

I will be renting a car in Strasbourg in late June and driving to Toulouse where my flight back to the States leaves from. I will have about 12 days to do this. What are the places I simply must visit while on my journey?

To help narrow things down, here's some of what I'm looking for:
  • I'd like slow-paced, relaxed traveling with plenty of time for great food, wine, cafes, and ambiance.
  • I would like to visit places that offer a window into the most interesting of French culture and lifestyles.
  • I like beautiful countryside, historical sites (Roman, medieval, and early renaissance especially), and the quirky/unique/hip side of cities.

Currently, this is what I have penciled in:
  1. 2 days or so for Strasbourg
  2. 2 days or so for the outlying towns & villages like Obernai, Selestat, Riquewihr, Colmar (any suggestions on which of those would be the best & which I should skip?)
  3. Geographically, the next step would likely be Franche-Comte, though I know nothing about this region. Is it worth stopping in or should I pass through and spend my limited time elsewhere on the route?
  4. Next I see two main possibilities:
    Take a clockwise route from Lyon south along the Rhone (i.e. down the A6) to Orange and then swing southwest through Nimes, Montpellier, and Narbonne before heading west to Toulouse via Carcassonne, OR
    Take a counter-clockwise route west from Franche-Comte into Burgundy and the Auvergne, perhaps routing either southwest from Dijon or west from Lyon to Clermont-Ferrand and then on to Brive-la-Gaillarde and following the A20 south to Toulouse.
  5. In the end I would like to have at least two full days left for Toulouse.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by TheFlyingPenguin
I will be renting a car in Strasbourg in late June and driving to Toulouse where my flight back to the States leaves from. I will have about 12 days to do this. What are the places I simply must visit while on my journey?

To help narrow things down, here's some of what I'm looking for:
  • I'd like slow-paced, relaxed traveling with plenty of time for great food, wine, cafes, and ambiance.
  • I would like to visit places that offer a window into the most interesting of French culture and lifestyles.
  • I like beautiful countryside, historical sites (Roman, medieval, and early renaissance especially), and the quirky/unique/hip side of cities.

Currently, this is what I have penciled in:
  1. 2 days or so for Strasbourg
  2. 2 days or so for the outlying towns & villages like Obernai, Selestat, Riquewihr, Colmar (any suggestions on which of those would be the best & which I should skip?)
  3. Geographically, the next step would likely be Franche-Comte, though I know nothing about this region. Is it worth stopping in or should I pass through and spend my limited time elsewhere on the route?
  4. Next I see two main possibilities:
    Take a clockwise route from Lyon south along the Rhone (i.e. down the A6) to Orange and then swing southwest through Nimes, Montpellier, and Narbonne before heading west to Toulouse via Carcassonne, OR
    Take a counter-clockwise route west from Franche-Comte into Burgundy and the Auvergne, perhaps routing either southwest from Dijon or west from Lyon to Clermont-Ferrand and then on to Brive-la-Gaillarde and following the A20 south to Toulouse.
  5. In the end I would like to have at least two full days left for Toulouse.

Thoughts?
Beaune. Visit the Hospice for sure. Mme. Bagatelle's chambre d'hôte in Chateauneuf-en-Auxois was a nice place to stay in a lovely little village. We stumbled onto a medieval abbey while looking for a bakery in the vicinity.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
Beaune's a great option. Dijon as well. If it was me, I'd head from there through northern Burgundy visiting the old historic and beautiful towns of Autun, Avallon and Auxerre. From there you can head south toward Clermont-Ferrand if you wish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.