Community
Wiki Posts
Search

23 Hours in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

23 Hours in Paris

I have an upcoming business trip where I was able to wrangle a free 23 hour stopover in Paris (flying into CDG). Considering my short stay and need to travel from and back to the airport, I am looking for some advice on a good central location hotel to stay in (doesn't have to be too expensive since I will try to spend most of the time out and about), easy transportation to get there, and what sights I could squeeze in. I arrive at 12:00PM and fly back out at 11:00am the next day.

TYIA!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:32 am
Original Poster

I should also noted that I understand this is way too little time to explore the city, but I'm just happy to get any time at all

Anyways, looking forward to some assistance
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:51 pm
iff

Have you looked at Nicolas75's wonderful sticky post at the top of the France forum?

Lots and lots of info there, and if you scroll down to the "Types of stays" section, you'll find threads on questions similar to yours. It's a place to start, and then if you have any more specific questions people may be able to give you some guidance.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec
Personally I would recommend staying either in the Marais or in the 5th/6th arrondissements - these areas are both central, lively, with lots of great restaurants/bars/shops.

Unless you have a good reason not to, I would steer clear of the major hotel "brands" - there are hundreds of smaller, and more charming, independently run hotels in Paris.

A few that fit the bill that I or my friends have stayed in:
In terms of sights to see it depends a lot on what you're interested in and on when you'll be visiting. Queues for major sights get progressively worse as summer approaches. Some ideas for "quick hits":
  • Musee d'Orsay - can be "done" quickly in under two hours, seeing most of its famous Impressionist works
  • Notre Dame Cathedral - you can walk around the outside and get a good sense of it in 10 minutes. Add 15-20 minutes if you want to go inside
  • Arc de Triomphe - admire it from the Champs Elysees
  • Eiffel Tower - unless you want to go up, can be admired from underneath as well as across the river. if you do want to go up, make sure you book a timed slot, as queues can be bad.
  • Place des Vosges - wonderful square that can be appreciated just by walking around it

Don't forget to leave time for some Parisian food. If you're arriving at 12 noon, I would recommend a late lunch at one of Paris best "bistros" - Le Comptoir du Relais. They serve food all afternoon - if you show up at 2:30pm you'll be able to get a table almost immediately. See http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...de_France.html

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *G
Have you been to Paris before? I wouldn't try to do so much. Better enjoyed slowly than to rush through the checklist. Find one or two attractions that you cannot not go to, and then find the place to stay.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

This will be my first time - thinking I can probably only fit in Notre Dame, the arc, and of course Eiffle Tower. Definitely hope to return sometime but am glad I can see a little bit on the tail end of a business trip home.

Any recommendations on location for ease of access to these attractions and transit to/from the airport?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mojo2121
This will be my first time - thinking I can probably only fit in Notre Dame, the arc, and of course Eiffle Tower. Definitely hope to return sometime but am glad I can see a little bit on the tail end of a business trip home.
I'd visit the Sainte Chapelle in rather than the Arch of Triumph. It's one of the most beautiful buildings in the world, just a short walk from Notre Dame cathedral on Isle de la Cité. Spending a few hours in the heart of Paris is a potential pleasure I wouldn't miss.

Last edited by ajGoes; Mar 26, 2014 at 1:29 pm Reason: Typo fix
Old Mar 29, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
+1 on seeing St. Chappelle. Most beautiful stained glass anywhere.

Honestly, I'd probably skip going to the tower and to the arc, and just try to get a good view of them from elsewhere in town. (but maybe I'm spoiled or jaded since I live right by the arc and see the tower everyday on my commute)

Might want to try doing a smaller museum, such as the previously mentioned Musee d'Orsay or Musee Rodin.

What day of the week will this be? Some attractions will be open later on certain nights, so that should factor in to your planning.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:18 am
iff

The Sainte Chapelle is beautiful on a bright, sunny day; however, on my first visit it was cloudy and quite frankly was a huge disappointment. On a cloudy day, personally I would skip it and go do something else.

You didn't say when you're coming, but keep in mind that we're approaching various holidays and that may also have an impact on your visit.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
As off mentioned the mega tourist season in approaching, so the lines are gonna be humongous. So plan accordingly.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
23 Hours in Paris

I used Viator for shared shuttle from airport for $25 US -we hit traffic so longer than train option. I did a great street art tour from underground tours (review on my blog philatravelgirl) -agree w/others high tourist season and lines so buy Eiffel ticket online and then IMO walk everywhere stop at a cafe and get some macaroons. Focus on one-two musts - the Louvre does an English tour of the highlights if you must but I'd be outside walking.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

I have a room held at the Sheraton since I agree it is probably easiest to stay near the airport given my short time. Unfortunately the Hilton was sold out. Is it easy to get to this hotel after arrival from an inter-Europe flight and just as easy to get to the major attractions? Is the team fast or should I take a cab?

Thanks all for the help
Old Apr 5, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by mojo2121
I have an upcoming business trip where I was able to wrangle a free 23 hour stopover in Paris (flying into CDG). Considering my short stay and need to travel from and back to the airport, I am looking for some advice on a good central location hotel to stay in (doesn't have to be too expensive since I will try to spend most of the time out and about), easy transportation to get there, and what sights I could squeeze in. I arrive at 12:00PM and fly back out at 11:00am the next day.

TYIA!
I would stay at le meridian etoile, Air France bus non-stop from CDG. Walk to Arc de Triomphe, then straight on down Champs-Elyses......keep going towards Eiffel Tower. Metro stop close to hotel, area around hotel is working class French. Hotel not bad for a quick trip! For me Paris is my favorite city....try to go twice a year!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by steppie
I would stay at le meridian etoile, Air France bus non-stop from CDG. Walk to Arc de Triomphe, then straight on down Champs-Elyses......keep going towards Eiffel Tower. Metro stop close to hotel, area around hotel is working class French. Hotel not bad for a quick trip! For me Paris is my favorite city....try to go twice a year!
Having live in the neighborhood by that hotel (Porte Maillot) for the last several months, I wouldn't classify it as working class French. There are a couple of pockets near residences between Ternes and Grand Armee that might be classified that way, but otherwise it is an expensive neighborhood even by Paris standards.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Having live in the neighborhood by that hotel (Porte Maillot) for the last several months, I wouldn't classify it as working class French. There are a couple of pockets near residences between Ternes and Grand Armee that might be classified that way, but otherwise it is an expensive neighborhood even by Paris standards.
Nice to know, only stayed in area once. Do you think that Le Meridian makes sense for Mojo for the 23 hour stop over?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.