Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by tide
Additionally, Uber did not use my available USD credit balance but instead, charged entire fare to credit card. I've emailed them to see why.
I think because they have to charge (and pay taxes) through the local uber-company they handle operations from. That's why i've got USD10, 150THB and 20EUR credits in my account and depending on which country i'm using uber the credit is used.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1MM
Thinking about using in Uber for our upcoming trip to Paris. A few questions for those who have used the service, especially for rides to/from the airport.
1/ Are the rate quotes on the Uber website per person or per ride? For instance, UberPOP between CDG and Rive Droite prices at 30 euros. There will be two of us. So, is the fare 30 euros? 60 euros? Or is there a slight surcharge depending on number of people? On the number of pieces of luggage?
2/ Is it possible to actually book a ride in advance? Not concerned about our arrival but I probably would feel a bit more comfortable if a ride from the hotel is pre-scheduled for a 7:30 am pickup instead of waiting until that morning. I read that waiting time has been very minimal but I'm also familiar with traffic issues in Paris in the morning...

Thanks for your input. Depending on pricing, Uber may turn up to be a better option than share-rides in shuttles and a more convenient one than the RER when one travels with luggage beyond a roll-on-board.

Last edited by laginibre; Aug 10, 2014 at 4:39 pm
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by laginibre
Thinking about using in Uber for our upcoming trip to Paris. A few questions for those who have used the service, especially for rides to/from the airport.
1/ Are the rate quotes on the Uber website per person or per ride? For instance, UberPOP between CDG and Rive Droite prices at 30 euros. There will be two of us. So, is the fare 30 euros? 60 euros? Or is there a slight surcharge depending on number of people? On the number of pieces of luggage?
2/ Is it possible to actually book a ride in advance? Not concerned about our arrival but I probably would feel a bit more comfortable if a ride from the hotel is pre-scheduled for a 7:30 am pickup instead of waiting until that morning. I read that waiting time has been very minimal but I'm also familiar with traffic issues in Paris in the morning...

Thanks for your input. Depending on pricing, Uber may turn up to be a better option than share-rides in shuttles and a more convenient one than the RER when one travels with luggage beyond a roll-on-board.

I use Uber within the city, but for airport pick up I use Le cab or other ones. I couldn't figure out how to do a preschedule pick up on Uber.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:00 pm

I just don't get the impression that one can preschedule with Uber. But I can see the benefit of using them while I'm in the city itself: scheduling or looking for a taxi in Paris is so frustrating...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:39 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
No, with Uber, you have arrange on arrival, and rely on there being a car within a few minutes' of the airport (you get 15 minutes waiting time).

Looking on the app right now, I can see half a dozen UberPOP and UberX within 3 minutes of the Roissy terminals.

And yes, Paris is a pain on getting taxi pickups as the antiquated system of 'bornes de taxi' persists. This page may help if you want to use this system at any point (you basically ring up a phone on the taxi rank and the taxi will come and pick you up - meter starts then, of course).
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:11 pm

I agree with you: the system is antiquated. A few years ago, I rang a cab at a borne and waited more than 45 minutes before one showed up (at Place de L'Etoile, no less!)
Another time, the hotel couldn't even get a taxi to commit to pick up my mother the next day to catch her train because a RATP strike was scheduled and taxis would have a hard time getting anywhere in a timely fashion... Insane.
I'll definitely give Uber a shot on my next trip.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:28 am

Why are you calling the borne instead of the main number? I'd only call (or even go to) the borne if I knew there were taxis at the one closest to me. Any additional pickup cost from a further-away taxi answering a radio call is surely worth 45 minutes of my time.

G7 now has an Uber-like app for calling a taxi.
http://www.taxisg7.com/order-taxi/ta...bcjs8atlhdjdl2
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:46 am
iff

Originally Posted by Louie_LI
Why are you calling the borne instead of the main number? I'd only call (or even go to) the borne if I knew there were taxis at the one closest to me. Any additional pickup cost from a further-away taxi answering a radio call is surely worth 45 minutes of my time.
Calling a nearby borne has saved my colleagues more than once when they were running late and G7's main number wasn't answering or had no taxis available. I only call G7 by phone when I have plenty of time to spare, because (a) it takes forever to get through their phone tree, and (b) all too often they have no taxis available.

That said, some bornes rarely have taxis present or only at certain times of day, so I would definitely try something else if there were no response right away. I've been happy with Le Cab. I haven't tried Uber but know other people who use it regularly in Paris.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know if the recent free ride (up to $30) referral credit works in Paris when signing up with a US account?

Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:07 am
iff

Originally Posted by Bacopa
Does anyone know if the recent free ride (up to $30) referral credit works in Paris when signing up with a US account?
In the past they have not. Perhaps the main Uber thread will have more info (see first post + link in thread below).

UBER referral credit in different countries?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, SWA, DL, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Starwood GE, Club Carlson Plat, Hyatt Plat, IHG Amb
Is Uber still alive in Paris as I will be flying there in a little over a month and is that still the best way to get from CDG to my hotel which is near the Eiffel Tower?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by imprezu
Is Uber still alive in Paris as I will be flying there in a little over a month and is that still the best way to get from CDG to my hotel which is near the Eiffel Tower?
I used UBER in August and had relatively decent experiences. However, for the airport, I used leCab, and was pleased.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SWA, DL, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Starwood GE, Club Carlson Plat, Hyatt Plat, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I used UBER in August and had relatively decent experiences. However, for the airport, I used leCab, and was pleased.
How much did you pay for your fare? I can't get a quote from their site.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
I believe it was €48 and it was right on the site.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Originally Posted by imprezu
Used Uber there last month with no problems at all. Dunno how it compare to the leCab that was mentioned, but the Uber airport flat rates are listed on their web site as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.