Reload this Page >

Paris Pass - is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Pass - is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by andrewstahl
We used the museum pass extensively during our August trip. We saved a lot of time by not having to wait in line to buy a ticket for each attraction. We used it at Notre Dame, Dorsay, Lourve, Invalides, St Chapelle, Versailles and Arc de Triomphe.

We arrived on a Sunday and got a Navigo Decouverte on Monday. This pass simplified the transportation thing.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat , HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis President's Club
Echo what some others have said. The ability to avoid long lines makes it worth the money.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
If you use the buses, which more people should, you can burn through a lot of individual tickets.
The buses are very underrated. Taking the Metro, you miss seeing a lot of the city and the feel of how it is laid out and all connects. The bus gives you a much better feel for things. Yes, there's the risk of getting stuck in traffic, but that isn't common in my experience.

Go into a metro station and ask for Grand Plan #2 - Grand Plan Lignes Et Rues. This will show all metro lines, bus lines, and major streets as they are actually arranged in the city - much more useful than a regular transit map.

Last edited by SEA-Flyer; Jan 7, 2014 at 3:02 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
The buses are very underrated. Taking the Metro, you miss seeing a lot of the city and the feel of how it is laid out and all connects. The bus gives you a much better feel for things. Yes, there's the risk of getting stuck in traffic, but that isn't common in my experience.

Go into a metro station and ask for Grand Plan #2 - Grand Plan Lignes Et Rues. This will show all metro lines, bus lines, and major streets as they are actually arranged in the city - much more useful than a regular transit map.
+1 for buses. I resolved to use them on my last trip to Paris and really enjoyed seeing more of the city. Next time, I'll get that map, but the free RATP Android app is usable too if you have a data plan. It takes some fiddling to get used to it, and you'd be well served to double-check the stops it advises you to get off at, but it works OK.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by andrewstahl
We arrived on a Sunday and got a Navigo Decouverte on Monday. This pass simplified the transportation thing.
I will point out for anyone arriving around Monday this really is the best deal. 20 euro for a week of unlimited travel + 5 euro for the card (which you can reload if you come back and/or stay long time, hell you may be able to see if someone is selling their old one locally on Craigslist before you leave). Plus you can just swipe it across the turnstyle and don't have to keep track of a ticket(s).

The "catch" is that it's only valid each week from Monday to Sunday so it only makes sense if your dates work out. Also technically you're supposed to attach some sort of photo to it, but you can print one out at home or pay 5 euro for one at one of the ubiquitous photo booths in most stations. But in 4 months I've yet to ever get checked on the metro for my card, and only twice on the RER trains way out in the suburbs.

As to the question, the "Museum Pass" is completely worth it for the line skipping alone. The "Paris Pass" (which the Museum Pass is included in that package) I don't think is since you can ride the metro cheaper usually and the math doesn't add up. But YMMV.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:07 am

The museum pass is a good value.

Last edited by CosmosHuman; Feb 5, 2014 at 9:15 am Reason: Clarification
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by ajGoes
+1 for buses. I resolved to use them on my last trip to Paris and really enjoyed seeing more of the city. Next time, I'll get that map, but the free RATP Android app is usable too if you have a data plan. It takes some fiddling to get used to it, and you'd be well served to double-check the stops it advises you to get off at, but it works OK.
You can go to any of the 2 major cell phone providers Orange/SFR/ Bouygues and get those small internet connecting devices and you can connect your smart phone to the internet anywhere you are.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:49 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In the connecting passageways linking the various terminals at CDG, there are several kiosks which sell nearly all museum passes, metro passes and even a single ride from CDG to Paris--these rarely have more than one or two people in line.
The big plus (as noted elsewhere in this thread) of the Carte de Musee, is the ability to skip long lines at many of the popular museums.
If one is doing a lot of museum "hopping" in one day, a Mobilis pass as opposed to the more expensive Paris Visite pass could be cost effective; otherwise, a carnet (of metro tickets) is the best option. The 5 zone Mobilis is not valid for CDG (and other airports).
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Terminology: There are (at least) two passes for Paris tourists. The Paris Museum Pass affords admission to a broad array of museums, monuments and other tourist sites. It costs 39€ for two days (adult).

The Paris Pass includes a Paris Museum Pass, a transportation pass and other benefits and costs 110€ for 2 days.

Obviously there is a huge price difference. I suggest those considering Paris passes study the two passes and prepare a realistic outline of what you'll do when during your stay. Many people overwhelm themselves by trying to cram too many activities into too short a time. The Rick Steves Paris Guide is a good tool to help in this effort.
Thanks for the info. The 2 day PMP is now 42€. http://en.parismuseumpass.com/rub-the-pass-price-36.htm Will probably buy the 4 day for 56€. Includes Versailles which is nice. We will be staying for 5 full days.

Last edited by philemer; Aug 30, 2014 at 9:34 pm
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:04 pm
HMO

One of the best things about the museum pass is the possibility to return to any desired place. I went to Arc de Triomphe twice, first at day and other at night, one of the best views!

I also went 4 times at Louvre
If I may suggest, you must try the day Louvre has extended hours up to night. Do heard about that painting, Monalisa? It's a kind of famous one...
Well, during the day is almost impossible to be close by the paiting, at night I was able to stand at the red tape. Less than a dozen people in room, 2 or 3 being museum staff ^

Last edited by HMO; Aug 30, 2014 at 11:27 pm Reason: add picture
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Walking home from the gym I saw that Paris pass conducts tours in english. First time I've seen that.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I saw that Paris pass conducts tours in english.
There is no such item usable as a Paris Pass. There is a very over priced collection of individual passes and tickets sold as the Paris Pass, or more accurately now called the Paris City Passport, but the elements contained therein may be individually purchased at far lower cost.

Very popular for those who enjoy museums is the Paris Museum Pass. The Museum pass allows access to a very large number of museums and expositions. It does not include, to my knowledge, any guided tours without paying additional fees.

Those interested in guided tours should consider those offered, in English, by Chris Boïcos, a very knowledgeable and entertaining speaker who offers tours and lectures on a variety of art subjects. Add yourself to his email list by contacting him at [email protected]

_____

In reference to transportation options, the Paris Visite Pass is rarely a good value. The zone 1-3 pass included with the Paris Pass, is not valid for travel from any of the airports or to/from Versailles. Many save a great deal of money by simply purchasing a group of 10 tickets t+ for 13.70€. These may be used anywhere to métro goes and on most buses.

Otherwise the Navigo Découverte can be a good option but unlike what may have been implied by a poster above, be sure to attach a 25mm x 30mm (about one inch square) photo. Without the photo, and your name written on the bottom right corner of the pass, it is invalid and you can be stopped and fined. I am stopped and checked at least once a month, sometimes twice so don´t assume it does not happen. The photo is a small item that should not be overlooked.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tamino
There is no such item usable as a Paris Pass. There is a very over priced collection of individual passes and tickets sold as the Paris Pass, or more accurately now called the Paris City Passport, but the elements contained therein may be individually purchased at far lower cost.

Very popular for those who enjoy museums is the Paris Museum Pass. The Museum pass allows access to a very large number of museums and expositions. It does not include, to my knowledge, any guided tours without paying additional fees.

Those interested in guided tours should consider those offered, in English, by Chris Boïcos, a very knowledgeable and entertaining speaker who offers tours and lectures on a variety of art subjects. Add yourself to his email list by contacting him at [email protected]

_____

In reference to transportation options, the Paris Visite Pass is rarely a good value. The zone 1-3 pass included with the Paris Pass, is not valid for travel from any of the airports or to/from Versailles. Many save a great deal of money by simply purchasing a group of 10 tickets t+ for 13.70€. These may be used anywhere to métro goes and on most buses.

Otherwise the Navigo Découverte can be a good option but unlike what may have been implied by a poster above, be sure to attach a 25mm x 30mm (about one inch square) photo. Without the photo, and your name written on the bottom right corner of the pass, it is invalid and you can be stopped and fined. I am stopped and checked at least once a month, sometimes twice so don´t assume it does not happen. The photo is a small item that should not be overlooked.
Ahh so you know Chris…

Anyway, I was going home after the gym and for the first time saw 2 groups with English speaking guides, the one that I heard was telling the tour that it was 3 hrs then went down to take the RER C.

Have no idea where they were going, and it was the first time that I saw such a group.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
one that I heard was telling the tour that it was 3 hrs then went down to take the RER C.
A 3 hour tour? They didn´t end up ship wrecked did they?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Tamino
A 3 hour tour? They didn´t end up ship wrecked did they?
Yes, in Marseilles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.