Search

bordeaux wine tour

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2013, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
bordeaux wine tour

Hi-

I'm planning a trip to Bordeaux for next May and I'm looking for a reputable tour company for wine tasting. I'm interested in making sure we are tasting great wines, but I'm not necessarily seeking out the first growths (wouldn't turn them down though...)

I found a thread with a couple recommendations from last year, but seeking additional recommendations. We will be there for 3-4 days, schedule is flexible at this point.

Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Frankly, I think you would get the best bang for your buck by renting a car and picking out some wineries yourself. If you consult with the OT and make some degustation appointments yourself, (many wineries don't need appointments) you would probably do a lot better.

Tour Companies have other issues in selecting their choices rather than choosing ones that best suit your desires and tastes.

http://www.newsday.com/travel/visiti...ance-1.2239249

http://devourtheworld.com/2012/05/fr...isit-wineries/
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Appreciate the recommendation menton1. I was considering renting a car and doing it ourselves as you suggest, but I got to thinking about it and figured that driving in a foreign country while drinking wine all day would not be the ideal circumstance. I know we will probably end up paying a little more. And yes, I figured that tour companies had their own considerations when taking people to certain wineries, so I figured I would see about a reputable company that could arrange some good wineries to taste at.

Thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:36 am
Suspended

Yes, I was going to post exactly the same thing. I find it a very bad idea to suggest drinking and driving and in a foreign country as well.

I would suggest stopping by the local tourist office or the town hall (la Mairie or Hotel de Ville) when you get there and inquire about a tour. Although I've never done this myself (I'm not a wine-lover), I would be quite surprised if the local wine tours did not ask or propose a plan before setting out. Perhaps that would be something to ask the tourist or town hall people about.

Frankly, considering the local people will surely be more familiar with the local wine scene than a foreigner, perhaps you could suggest some wines you like and see if they could recommend something similar locally. Or just ask to try the local specialities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.