Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need a recommendation for anniversary lunch in Paris [Oct Saturday]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Need a recommendation for anniversary lunch in Paris [Oct Saturday]

My wife and I will be celebrating our upcoming anniversary in Paris. We'll be in Paris as part of a broader trip, but we only have one day in Paris. I would greatly appreciate recommendations/suggestions for where to eat lunch. On previous special occasions in Paris, we've eaten at Les Ambassadeurs and Taillevent, and enjoyed both.

Some additional information, to help better tailor the recommendations:

1. We'll be eating on a Saturday, so restaurants that are not open for lunch on Saturdays won't work.
2. We'd like to keep the budget to €100 or less, per person, not including wine.
3. Michelin-starred restaurants are good (two or three stars, even better), but not required.
4. The primary and overriding objective is to have excellent food. The secondary objective is to do so in a place with good ambiance.
5. Spending €100 per person or thereabouts is not an objective. If we can eat a quality and memorable meal for less (or, even substantially less), all the better. A prix fixe lunch menu within our budget would be particularly welcome. I'm sure there are some excellent prix fixe lunch values out there.
6. It would be nice if the restaurant is within walking distance of a metro or RER stop.
7. If the dress code is not formal, that would also be welcome because the rest of our trip is going to be an active/outdoorsy one, so we'd like to avoid packing fancy attire solely for the purpose of this one lunch.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations/suggestions.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:19 am
Community Director Emerita

Consider Les Ombres by the MUSÉE DU QUAI BRANLY. You have excellent food, outside if the weather is cooperative, with a wonderful view of the Eiffel Tower. You can then go thru the museum should its exhibits be to your taste.

We have had the pleasure of eating lunch at a number of the Michelin starred restaurants in Paris but think that many have moved beyond the 100 euro price point. Then, there is the issue of even getting into the restaurant. My favorite is L'Astrance, but it only has 28 covers and they tend to go 2 months in advance when the date becomes available for booking. As I write, I looked it up and find it is closed on Saturday. I also looked up Le Meurice, where we had some of the best service I ever remember, and find it, too, is closed on Saturday lunch.

I think that Les Ombres is special, with the conjunction of excellent food and the wonderful view, worthy of a place to celebrate your anniversary.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
My wife and I will be celebrating our upcoming anniversary in Paris.
Upcoming as in next week or next April? The reason I ask is there is a restaurant I meant to visit last year but sadly ran out of time that I think would definitely work but they are closed for a few weeks into Aug.

les Papilles is a casual bistro with loads of ambiance, is open on Sat. lunches, has good access by RER & Metro and is within a few blocks of the Jardin du Luxembourg and so the two could be combined easily. Pricing is very reasonable and a good selection of wine is available.

Just a thought.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:09 am
Suspended

If it is in August, I would recommend trying somewhere other than Paris. Typically, August weather in Paris is terrible, which is why the chefs and other top personnel of Paris restaurants go south for their holiday. And despite the fact that most Parisians will have fled the city in August, it seems that is also when most of the tourists arrive!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
We'll be there in October. I'm inquiring now to have sufficient lead time to make a reservation.

We've been to Paris on multiple occasions previously, so proximity to tourist attractions or what you can see from an outside table is unimportant. A memorable meal, chiefly in terms of the quality of the food, is what truly matters.

I appreciate the two suggestions so far.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Jul 25, 2013 at 6:18 am
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by MichaelBrighton
If it is in August, I would recommend trying somewhere other than Paris. Typically, August weather in Paris is terrible, which is why the chefs and other top personnel of Paris restaurants go south for their holiday. And despite the fact that most Parisians will have fled the city in August, it seems that is also when most of the tourists arrive!
While I agree with your conclusions, I'm not convinced the reason is the weather. Yes, the weather can be bad in August (I was working in Paris in the infamous summer of 2003), it can also be quite nice (like it was the following summer). It's just that that is when the French take their month-long vacation. The hordes of tourists are the main reason I would avoid Paris in July-Aug.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Your criteria in your first post above have narrowed the field down to a couple of thousand restaurants, SAT Lawyer!

You will get someone's personal favorite here, but that may or may not be helpful.

There is a nice website: www.thefork.com

It breaks down restaurants by district, and you can read detailed descriptions and reviews from folks that dined there. (Many locals). Pick one that suits your fancy.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 2:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
While I agree with your conclusions, I'm not convinced the reason is the weather. Yes, the weather can be bad in August (I was working in Paris in the infamous summer of 2003), it can also be quite nice (like it was the following summer). It's just that that is when the French take their month-long vacation. The hordes of tourists are the main reason I would avoid Paris in July-Aug.
I quite agree with you. I hadn't intended to connect the two (weather and holidays), but somehow my typing fingers had another idea
Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
OP and sandiego we don't have the same taste in restaurants, (even though the view at Les Ombres is incredible) I never liked any of the 3 mentioned and this is why I hesitated in answering.

I, me personally would try to eat at either L'Arepege or Pierre Gagnaire. As for them being near metros..yes they are.

If you want a terrace and still eat at a 3 star then try the resto at the Bristol.

If you don't want a stared resto and still want a terrace, then I recommend Jardin du Palais Royal, at the Palais Royal, one of my favourite areas to spend a lazy afternoon drinking le apero.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:06 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I, me personally would try to eat at either L'Arepege or Pierre Gagnaire.
I've had an excellent meal at Pierre Gagnaire, and their London outpost is a great favorite of mine. I have fond memories of waiters bringing around great bowls of truffles to show us at Pierre Gagnaire. However, I believe that it is closed on Saturday.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
October might be a good time to eat at the restaurant on the Eifel Tower. It would be good to see the fall leaves from there. There's better food in Paris, but it would be nice as a special experience if you've never done this.

Be aware that the RER line along the left bank is currently closed between StMichel and Invalides, although it could be OK in a few months.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
October might be a good time to eat at the restaurant on the Eifel Tower. It would be good to see the fall leaves from there. There's better food in Paris, but it would be nice as a special experience if you've never done this.

Be aware that the RER line along the left bank is currently closed between StMichel and Invalides, although it could be OK in a few months.
I was also thinking Le Jules Verne would be a great lunch option. Granted, the last time I had lunch there was before Alain Ducasse took over the place.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
This is a big wknd in Paris, the last wknd of July and first in August. Apparently tomorrow the roads are on red alert. It is the famous one of Le chasse-croise des juilletistes et aoutiens.

A bit of local culture.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:29 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
We were in a similar situation 18 months ago. I wanted a lovely restaurant for my wife's birthday. This board convinced me to pass on the Jules Verne and to go to Les Ombres. It was a truly memorable meal - costly but far from "nuts". We let them know in advance it was a special evening and were seated by the window overlooking the Eiffel Tower. It was a true highlight and I can wholeheartedly second SD's recommendation.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:21 am

rotating resturant on top of monparnesse

my wife from there and said its first class....i dont know name but in montparnesse (im sure not spell right) theres that tall modern circular building.... the resturant goes around and around...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.