Wiki Posts
Search

Michelin 3* restaurants in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Michelin 3* restaurants in Paris

I would like to experience a Michelin 3* restaurant in Paris while I am there in May with my wife. Anyone have any recommendations/experiences? We both love an extravagant tasting menu and are open to pretty much any type of cuisine.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ah yes, the infamous menu degustation( that's french for leftovers). the only similarity i have ever seen is that at least one course will be the chef's signature dish. the chef will cook whatever is fresh. in many outlying 3* the chef will ask if you want any particular food. typically 9 or 10 dishes none on the regular menu. if you arrange to show up X days in a row. they will have something different every day. sometimes there is a theme. i have had 6 different courses of fois gras on one occasion. the 3's in paris are frequently sold out pretty far in advance. call the hotel concierge today, and make arrangements for your seating.

a french 3* gives you your best chance to be treated like garbage. yep, if mr big bucks brings a party of 8 you're chopped liver. you may also get some food you really dislike. i remember raw lobster tail. take one fresh maine lobster tail, shuck it, put it on the plate serve with a wallalahh. raw sea urchin is another.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I love Alain Passard and especially now that he has his spring menu.

http://www.alain-passard.com/fr/.

And Pierre Gagniaire

http://www.pierre-gagnaire.com/#/balzac/Maison_Gagnaire

Now you made me hungry.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I love Alain Passard and especially now that he has his spring menu.

http://www.alain-passard.com/fr/.

And Pierre Gagniaire

http://www.pierre-gagnaire.com/#/balzac/Maison_Gagnaire

Now you made me hungry.
+1
my two favourite, with Atelier Robuchon (great cuisine, maybe more relaxed atmosphere).

Was VERY disappointed by Thierry Marx at Mandarin Oriental.

Some one star options can be very interesting too: Sergent Recruteur, L'Instant d'Or.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
I love L'Atalier, but the one in the 6-7th, and not the one by the Champs. Somehow it doesn't taste the same even the carpaccio de dorade.. Totally different no matter how much they claim that it is the same.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback. L'Arpège was one of the restaurants I was considering so I decided to pull the trigger and made a reservation!
Old Mar 22, 2013, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Ok - next question. I'm looking to make a reservation for a Saturday night. Seems my choices are slightly limited on the weekend. Was looking at Guy Savoy and Le cinq. Anyone have any advice as to one or the other? Thanks again!
Old Mar 23, 2013, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bevoinva
Ok - next question. I'm looking to make a reservation for a Saturday night. Seems my choices are slightly limited on the weekend. Was looking at Guy Savoy and Le cinq. Anyone have any advice as to one or the other? Thanks again!
Cinq... Lots of restaurants are closed on the wknd.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

most hotel restaurants are open on sun. for a complete list of open and closed, try the michelin red guide.

ferme means closed. dim. i think means means sunday.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:26 am

The dining room at L'Arpege is very ho-hum. It's not an 'occasion' place in my view. If you want the full-blown thing, then I'd recommend Le Maurice - amazing decor, *** nosh.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think le cinq is a 2*. my understanding is they opted to become a 2*.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:14 pm

My understanding is that the chef at Le Cinq left for Caprice at the Four Seasons Kong Kong and that's why Michelin dropped a star.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pausanias
The dining room at L'Arpege is very ho-hum. It's not an 'occasion' place in my view. If you want the full-blown thing, then I'd recommend Le Maurice - amazing decor, *** nosh.
It is.. but the food is just incredible..

And Le Cinq is a 2 star because the chef left.. Though I understand a new 3 star chef is coming, but I am not sure when.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

I did see where Le Cinq was only a 2 star. I'm willing to sacrifice though .

In all seriousness we're really looking forward to some great food and wine. We were in Paris a few years ago and we spent the whole time on the go doing the museums and sightseeing. For this trip we wanted to have a more relaxing experience. We have a private tour set up for the Champagne region in addition to the fine dining in Paris. Looking forward to just sitting at a sidewalk cafe and drinking a glass of wine people watching.

We're dropping off our 2-year old with the grandparents for the week so that in itself will be a vacation!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bevoinva
I did see where Le Cinq was only a 2 star. I'm willing to sacrifice though .

In all seriousness we're really looking forward to some great food and wine. We were in Paris a few years ago and we spent the whole time on the go doing the museums and sightseeing. For this trip we wanted to have a more relaxing experience. We have a private tour set up for the Champagne region in addition to the fine dining in Paris. Looking forward to just sitting at a sidewalk cafe and drinking a glass of wine people watching.

We're dropping off our 2-year old with the grandparents for the week so that in itself will be a vacation!
I did eat at Le Cinq last month and it was very good... really good, but I prefer the other 2 that I mentioned... But Le Cinq is great.

Go to Spring for good food and wines and Frenchie the wine bar for tapas and wines... skip the resto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.