Best way to call USA from France??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Best way to call USA from France??

Hi all,

We are staying in Paris and need to call USA for one single business phone call (60 minutes).

We have our USA iphones so it would be $1/minute with AT&T, approx $60.

Our rented flat does not have a phone.

The agent did suggest going to a Tabac and buying a cheap mobile and a calling card. How do we do that?

Suggestions / anecdotes are welcome

Merci!
Michael
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Do you have good wifi in the flat ? I would use skype...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I normally don't call back much when we're in Europe, but I have a phone card (Net2Phone ... there are many others) for when I do. I locate a payphone, call the France/UK/Ireland/etc. freefone number and gab away. 7-1/2 cents/minute as I recall.

Of course you have to find a payphone (you don't even have to put any coins in or get a phone card - just dial the 0800 number at the sound of the dial tone), but that has been surprisingly easy. Not sure how long that will last, but so far it's been OK.

If you want to make your business call from, say, an office or poish hotel room, the payphone may be a bit downmarket. But be prepared to pay a lot more. And don't use the phone in the hotel!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:13 pm
AAL

Skype would work great if you have internet. If not, you need a cell phone that will work in France and a French SIM card, for the cheapest rate.

Check the specs on any other cell phones you may have, or you can buy one on ebay, or buy a prepaid phone when you get to France, from the Phone House or another such source.

You can also find phones and SIM cards online at le French Mobile and other providers.

If you have a suitable phone, and will be in Paris before your call, you could buy a SIM card at the Phone House, orange, SFR, etc. or a tabac.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:39 am

Setting up a Skype account and downloading the app to your US cell phone will probably take 20-30 minutes. Then you can call from anywhere you are online. No need for French cell phone, French cell service, Sim cards, nothing. And it will be a lot easier to find a place in Paris where you can get online to handle the call than it will be to find a quiet, working phone booth, much less chasing down phones, cards, etc., all in French.

All that's about convenience but the real payoff is cost. Paris to US runs about 8 cents a minute or less so a one hour call is under $5. AND you are then set-up for cheap calls forever from almost anywhere in the world where you can get online.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
http://www.lefrenchmobile.com/en/vid...nchmobile.html
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA Club Card, UA & DL Platinum; Hyatt's Gold Passport, AVIS President's Club, AA, GOES
Originally Posted by gaobest
Hi all,

We are staying in Paris and need to call USA for one single business phone call (60 minutes).

We have our USA iphones so it would be $1/minute with AT&T, approx $60.

Our rented flat does not have a phone.

The agent did suggest going to a Tabac and buying a cheap mobile and a calling card. How do we do that?

Suggestions / anecdotes are welcome

Merci!
Michael
If you have access to a wifi, you should download "viber" apps to your phone so you can make phone calls for free or bring a magic jack with you. Good luck!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
If you are looking for convenience&costs... Buying a local sim & using skype would be the recommended solution assuming that your phones are unlocked... When unable to use wifi (using data in roaming is even more expensive), you could use local skype access number to call...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Club Card, UA & DL Platinum; Hyatt's Gold Passport, AVIS President's Club, AA, GOES
You also might want to consider this pocket wifi

http://www.tepwireless.com/
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:38 pm

You might want to look into this pocket wifi rental

http://www.tepwireless.com/
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
mobilecaller.com has phone "cards" (They are virtual now!)

They have a toll free number (0800) from anywhere in France, even works in the cabines, and the cost back is about 3 or 4 cents per minute. A great deal, I have been using this card for years. Also works from the US to France, and there are toll free #s for many countries in Europe...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.