Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeing Eiffel Tower from the Air

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Seeing Eiffel Tower from the Air

I recently flew in and out of CDG, Paris but was unable to see the Eiffel tower from the air. (from passsenger window of a A340)

12 years ago, I remember flying out of CDG and at that time was clearly able to see the Eiffel Tower (from a passenger window of a 747).

any ideas why? Have flight paths been altered to avoid the Tower?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:01 pm

The only thing I've ever seen flying into CDG is fields, little villages and roads.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:09 pm

Depends on the STAR/approach the pilot used approach the airport. There are dozens for each airport.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:16 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
itengineer, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Please follow the thread as it moves to the Travel->France forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:10 am

Programs: BA
Surely it depends on the visibility on the day.

CDG is to the north of the city and Orly to the south. Both have main runways aligned east/west. Therefore aircraft do not particularly pass over any of the urban area at all, a notable contrast to places like London.

In fact the only time I have noticed aircraft in Paris is on the south-facing plaza high up in front of Montmartre church, where on a quiet night you might just hear the late evening heavy departures out of Orly, in the far distance.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
actually, I had many flights over Paris. Almost every flight to MLH, SXB, STR, MUC flies over Paris when heading east. since due to wind, they mostly take off heading west, they need to turn left after take off (the right turn would block the other runway). best seats would be on the left side of the plane.

I almost never saw the city when arriving longhaul (except for ORY airport)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.