Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for 5 days in France ( not Paris)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for 5 days in France ( not Paris)?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2011, 7:52 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Question Suggestions for 5 days in France ( not Paris)?

We just got back from our first trip to Paris and loved it.

We want to return in the Fall of 2012 and spend 5 days in Paris and 5 days in another area. For that " other area" our hope is that:

1. We can travel via train ( or rent a car) and would be within 3-5 hours of Paris.

2. Perhaps visit several towns in those 5 days or choose one as a hub and do day trips.

3. We looked into barge cruises and they are more money then we want to spend.

We are not focused on any one particular interest...although ancient classical history is my hobby.

Thanks for any insights or suggestions to begin my research.
Old May 30, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
If you take 3-5 hours by TGV train, you could go almost everywhere in France, however, I would suggest you have a look at touring the Loire Valley by rental car. There are many castles there worthwile a visit, apart from good food and wine. Return could be via Mont St. Michel and Normandy. This is not too far from Paris and easy to drive. In Fall you should not have a problem finding accomodations on the spot.
Old May 30, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Come to Brittany!

Brittany is in northwest France and is lovely country to explore, especially given your time frame. You can drive all over, visiting the south with the ancient dolmens at Carnac, historic medieval cities of Vannes and Auray, and the beautiful coast of in Quiberon. The west has Quimper with lots of old Breton culture to be had, and along the north coast you have the wonderful rocky coastline, the historical city of Saint-Malo, and finally the not-to-be-missed Mont St. Michel (as the previous poster pointed out).

To me, Normandy is easily done in one or two days from Paris, as is the Loire. Sure, you could devote your 5 days to combining these two (arguably quite nice) areas, but I would suggest using them on something a little harder to get to since you have the time.

There's my €.02 - enjoy!
Old May 30, 2011, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a pleasure to drive in Loire Valley, as well as Normandy.

3 to 4 days in Loire Valley is a nice leisurely trip provided you do not go into the castles. The villages and small towns are very pretty and full of flowers in months of April thru August. In the Fall you may want to rethink about where to go because many gardens would become quite bare.

Fontainebleau is easily reached by regular train from Paris for a daytrip and is the No.1 castle you should visit if you have not done so on your 1st trip.

Lots of the castles in Loire Valley are nice to drive by, admire them and then get going... If you must visit one or two inside, then write to Loire Valley tourism to ask for information - you will be bombarded by tons of brochures and then you can study them in more details with pictures, and research on the web to decide what you like to do.

I would say among all the castles in Loire Valley Chambord is worth a visit - to the ground only - as it is THE most elaborately built castle and for the use of the Kings. But it is not furnished inside. The cost is extremely reasonable at 3 euro parking if you only stroll the ground, versus virtually all other castles ask for 9 euro and up just to pass their gates... Blois has a lovely castle that its nice facades are largely viewable from just outside, at the square.

You may also want to include Chartres in your planning - the stained glass windows of Chartres are extremely impressive, much more so than those in Notre Dame in Paris.

Last edited by Happy; May 30, 2011 at 12:37 pm
Old May 30, 2011, 1:16 pm

Why not come to Alsace and enjoy new wine ... you might even see the grape harvest in full swing depending on your dates! We usually have great weather in the Autumn, the kids are back in school and everyone is back to normal after the holidays. Plenty to see in the big towns and cities, and also the Vosges mountains, plus an easy day trip to Germany and even the possibility of bathing in hot volcanic spring waters. Do contact me for more details if you'd like to explore a totally different part of France and only a short 2.5 hours hop on the TGV from Paris.
Old May 30, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Obviously all these people are biased about their recommendations

I would recommend renting a car and driving south; one or two nights in Lyon and then settle in St. Remy de Provence and take some day trips from there.

Arles, Aix-en-Provence and Avignon are less than an hour away.
It is quiet and inexpensive in the fall.
I stayed at http://www.sources-saint-remy.com/; great little apartments and not expensive - really nice for family.
Old May 31, 2011, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Let me be biased about Burgundy.

Although I have also lived on the Riviera and love that area too, and most all of France is wonderful, I think from both a classical history (Catholic that is) point and gastronomy, Burgundy is the best. And of course we have the finest wines in the world.

1.5 hours by TGV to Le Creusot or Dijon.
Old May 31, 2011, 2:35 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
It's so hard to be un-biased when one is French!
Old May 31, 2011, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
This just popped up on my PC in a timely tweet...

http://www.burgundyeye.com/attractio...-a-users-guide
Old May 31, 2011, 3:32 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'd vote for a day in the Reims/Epernay area: (1)Lots of Champagne houses, (2)a magnificent Cathedral (Reims). If you use a car, the Normandy beaches (D-Day) is supposed to be very interesting (I still haven't gotten there). Marseilles is a nice city (area) to visit; on a nice sunny day the city is at its best, on rainy (overcast) days it seems "gloomy" [the harbor area is particularly nice].
Old May 31, 2011, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my bias is to michelin green and red guide. get the green guide and find the 3* sites. get the red guide and find the 1 & 2* restaurants. stay in B&B's at a place close to the restaurant and the site. hold driving to an hour or two each day. just tour 1 area. we have spent 7-14 days touring most all areas except south west(closed in winter) and alpine(snowed under), as we did all visits between nov and feb. i would avoid loire and Mont St. Michel during anything remotely resembling tourist season. we went to Mont St. Michel on a christmas day probably 20 years ago, and there were lots of tourists.

up north and west of paris is very interesting. lots of history. the normans came and went a number of times.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 4:53 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by imagineertobe
It's so hard to be un-biased when one is French!
mais, bien sur
Old Jun 1, 2011, 4:45 pm

The area that draws me back is the Lake Geneva area. It was a favorite of artists, Writers, the rich and the famous for a reason. It is very beautiful. Staying in Evian or Geneva will allow you to take day trips to Lausanne, Montreaux, etc., by ferry or to Annecy or Chamonix by train and will easily fill the five days. Renting a car would be optimal by ferry or train is available if you'd prefer not drive. It's a 3 1/2 hr. TGV ride from Paris.

Bobette
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:33 am

Why not Provence

You could take the TGV to Avignon in Provence in about 3 hours. This makes a good base for visiting the many ancient villages and Roman artifacts within an hour or less by car, such as Arles, Pont du Gard and Vaison la Romaine. You also can head into the Luberon for any number of charming small villages. Weather should be nice (been there past two Septembers) and tourists a little thinner.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by david4455
...although ancient classical history is my hobby.
All those "biased" posters conveniently overlooked this phrase...

keisari probably had the best suggestion for this: Lyon and further south. Although I would take the TGV to Lyon instead of driving. I don't find the 600km of highway between Paris and Lyon very interesting.

After Lyon you could either continue by TGV to Aix, or rent a car and drive south. Visit places like Nimes, Arles, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.