Reload this Page >

French Riviera Trip Planning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

French Riviera Trip Planning

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2011, 3:11 am

Hmm...now that i think about it, you like bridges but haven't mentioned stopping at the Pont du Gard? Very close to Avignon, Nimes. One word of advice: be aware of your surroundings where you park. Do not park too far away from the attendants as you may see a lot of evidence of auto break-ins (piles of shattered glass) at many quiet tourist spots. This was a while back but we saw it at the Pont and even on a smaller scale, at Serrabone. Try to park as close to the attraction as possible as leave nothing visible in your car. Have it in the trunk before you arrive.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Just an update on my trip planning... it's gone a bit sideways but the trip is still on.

I managed to get a free business class ticket from TN via my AA miles so we are now flying from LAX-CDG-LAX (previously, I was planning to fly LAX-JFK-BCN / CDG-JFK-LAX). Unfortunately, this means BCN is no longer on the itinerary this time. However, we decided to add a few nights to Paris as we really enjoy the city and could always use more time there... it's a nice consolation prize.

I do have a couple of new questions...

1. It looks like there is a TGV direct from CDG to Nice. My flight arrives at 8:55 am at T2 so I would like to book my train to leave at around 11 am. Is that enough time to clear immigration and customs?

2. My wife booked us this hotel in Eze for our first night: http://www.chateaueza.com/ I want to pick up a rental car to drive to Eze from Nice. Is the rental car desk located inside the train station?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by bzcat
I do have a couple of new questions...

1. It looks like there is a TGV direct from CDG to Nice. My flight arrives at 8:55 am at T2 so I would like to book my train to leave at around 11 am. Is that enough time to clear immigration and customs?

2. My wife booked us this hotel in Eze for our first night: http://www.chateaueza.com/ I want to pick up a rental car to drive to Eze from Nice. Is the rental car desk located inside the train station?
Yes, that should be plenty of time, assuming your flight isn't significantly delayed. Personally, if it isn't a busy period I just buy the ticket when I arrive.

I don't know the Nice gare, but most big stations have rental desks of the major operators like Avis and Hertz. You should call your preferred company to make sure.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
This thread as good as any to bump:

Mrs. Dergon and I will be in the French Riviera for a 4 nights mid/late October. We've never been.

We'll have a car for touring during the days.

Trying to find a hotel recommendation. Would like to keep around $500/night tops.

I'm thinking maybe the Royal Riviera in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, but would love some other ideas to investigate.

Thanks!

Dergon

Last edited by dergon darkhelm; Aug 1, 2016 at 6:06 am
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
This thread as good as any to bum:

Mrs. Dergon and I will be in the French Riviera for a 4 nights mid/late October. We've never been.

We'll have a car for touring during the days.

Trying to find a hotel recommendation. Would like to keep around $500/night tops.

I'm thinking maybe the Royal Riviera in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, but would love some other ideas to investigate.

Thanks!

Dergon
The south would be deserted during that time. If I were you, I'd stay a bit further up. This was I would be able to visit more towns.

As for hotels, the Four Seasons just opened one in Cap, maybe they'd have a deal since it is off season.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
The south would be deserted during that time. If I were you, I'd stay a bit further up. This was I would be able to visit more towns.
As someone who used to live there, allow me to respectfully disagree. Mid October is a great time to visit. The weather is usually still very good during the day, but getting cooler at night. I go most every year to Barcelona and Marseille in late October and even then it is nice. And Marseille is of course not deserted! The city is buzzing right around that time. Note that school holidays in France run from October 19th til November 3rd this year.

For a very nice yet very affordable beach hotel, check out http://www.hotel-gardenbeach.com/default-en.html but note that they close for the winter starting October 24th it seems. Some hotels in that area close in late October, yet some stay open all year round. The Marriott AC nearby stays open all year, but it's not on the beach.

My favorite in Marseille is the Intercontinental. http://marseille.intercontinental.com/en/
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
As someone who used to live there, allow me to respectfully disagree. Mid October is a great time to visit. The weather is usually still very good during the day, but getting cooler at night. I go most every year to Barcelona and Marseille in late October and even then it is nice. And Marseille is of course not deserted! The city is buzzing right around that time. Note that school holidays in France run from October 19th til November 3rd this year.

For a very nice yet very affordable beach hotel, check out http://www.hotel-gardenbeach.com/default-en.html but note that they close for the winter starting October 24th it seems. Some hotels in that area close in late October, yet some stay open all year round. The Marriott AC nearby stays open all year, but it's not on the beach.

My favorite in Marseille is the Intercontinental. http://marseille.intercontinental.com/en/
I wasn't saying not to visit, a wonderful and calm time to visit the area, but if it were me, I'd go a bit further up, I would have a wider radius to visit towns.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I wasn't saying not to visit, a wonderful and calm time to visit the area, but if it were me, I'd go a bit further up, I would have a wider radius to visit towns.
What town would you place as the perfect "epicenter" then?

And stimpy, thanks for ideas. Will check them out.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would stay in Avignon/ St Remy/Arles (my fav)/Isle-sur-la-sorgue.

Then I'd just draw a circle around it and visit the small towns. It should be lovely. Marseille is a very nice and bustling city so is Nice, but ST/Cannes, well they are a nice drive through but not stay at because they are sleeping until the spring time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.