Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to buy in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:22 am
Original Poster

What to buy in Paris?

I got this idea from the Germany thread, sorry to be a copycat.

I am a foodie and love to cook. Also looking to bring back small gifts from friends and family.

I read through the thread in the Germany forum about what to buy and also note that products made in Europe designed for the US are quite different d/t the FDA/USDA regulations, I am just guessing.

I know what German products I'd love to bring home, but what about French made products?

If I bought German products in France, would I be charged a whole lot more?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
fragrances are a good choice. they use different ingredients for brands that you can also find in US. Chanel No. 5 bought in France does not smell exactly like Chanel No. 5 bought in US.

visiting a parfumerie in Paris is an experience in and of itself, too
Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:35 am
Original Poster

I did think of perfumes, especially for my mother.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
If you like parfums, I suggest:

Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle: the best nez create very special parfums
Annick Goutal: the boudoir parfumerie
L'artisan Parfumeur: not as selective as Frédéric Malle, but nice gifts to do
Dyptique: the famous candles, but also lovely parfums
Le Labo: very innovative fragrances
Jean Patou: the grande dame of parfums
Chanel Boutique, the only place where you can buy Les Exclusifs de Chanel, an extraodinary selection of parfums for women and men
Old Dec 2, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
Things I usually bring home from Paris:

Cookware/Kitchen Items
Gourmet Foods: Try G. Detou on the 2nd arrondissement of Paris for baking supplies, Fauchon for gourmet goodies such as canned pates.
Chocolate: I always bring home chocolates, Belgian or French
Beauty Products: French pharmacies often stock hair and skin products which, even with the crappy exhange rate, are cheaper in France.
Scarves: most department stores have a dizzying array of scarves. The French wear them so well!
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by happymom2008
I am a foodie and love to cook.
Place de la Madeline is foodie heaven. Fauchon, Hediard, Maille... you can find all sorts of fabulous foods to bring home.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 3:49 pm

E. DeHillerin on rue Coquilliere for cookware

L'Etoile D'or on rue Pierre Fountain carries those delicious Bernachon chocolates as well as things like candied violets.

Bobette
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Cheese

I used to bring home all varieties of cheese, some of the specialty cheese stores will even vacuum pack for you. Once the FA commented on the odor in the overhead bins.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
Izrael on rue Francois Miron in the Marais is a fantastic source for spices.

Denise Acabo in the 9th arrondissement is an excellent chocolatier and another one of the few sources of Bernachon chocolates from Lyon.

The excellent bistro, L'Avant Gout, in the 13th, has a shop across the street that has interesting products as well.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by ShopAround
Place de la Madeline is foodie heaven. Fauchon, Hediard, Maille... you can find all sorts of fabulous foods to bring home.
Maille is a particularly good suggestion for mustard lovers. Their Provence style is a red pepper flavored milder (for Dijon style) mustard that I am passionate about. I usually bring back a dozen of those as they are not available in the United States.

For simple things, don't overlook the Duty Free shop in the airport. While it's a euro or two more, the convenience outweighs the hassle (talking about low cost gifts here). Fauchon cookies were very reasonable, as were some other cookies and chocolate (like $8- $10 each). Very well received.

Also, if you like it, fois gras is a reasonable airport purchase. Go for the better known names. They also may gave the Comtesse du Barry pate (not fois gras) assortment - 8 small tins of pates. Makes very nice gifts.

For myself, it's two things - chocolate and cheese. Both at the best places at Paris (such as Hediard for chocolate and Marie Cantin for cheese). For friends, I get the cheaper stuff.

Wine is usually cheaper in the US for the same bottle unless you buy at the winery. Figure in baggage allowance limits before you buy wine.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 4:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tomsundstrom
Izrael on rue Francois Miron in the Marais is a fantastic source for spices.

Denise Acabo in the 9th arrondissement is an excellent chocolatier and another one of the few sources of Bernachon chocolates from Lyon.

The excellent bistro, L'Avant Gout, in the 13th, has a shop across the street that has interesting products as well.
+1 on Bernachon. visited their shop in Lyon back in April, it was fabulous. my FR colleagues really appreciated some of their chocolates that I brought to the office.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: FB Gold; PC Plat.
For low-priced small gifts, how about shower gels ? You'll find a dizzying array of them at any supermarket or drugstore.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
- Piment d'Espelette - Basque ground red chile. A fashionable ingredient and an extremely portable small gift.
- Crepes Dentelles - shatteringly crisp rolled wafer cookies, nice with ice cream. Buy in metal boxes to avoid crushing
- Fallot mustard - the only Dijon mustard made from French-grown mustard seed
- Artisanal chocolates - the kind found in boutiques that look like jewelry stores. Don't bother with pre-packaged varieties in the grocery stores, they have no taste. The good stuff is wildly expensive but on another plane from Lindt, etc. Jacques Genin, Patrick Roger, Maison du Chocolat, Pierre Marcolini (he's Belgian but still), Jean-Charles Rachou. Also, as previously mentioned, a limited selection from Lyon-based Bernachon available at l'Etoile d'Or.
- There are cheesemongers who will vacuum-pack cheese for travelers
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by tomsundstrom

It's A l'Etoile d'Or.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
I always pack my bags with little containers of fleur de sel (hand-harvested sea salt) ... Le Paludier from Guérande in Brittany is a very good brand; Monoprix stocks Le Saunier from the Camargue region which is also good. People love this gift.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.