Wiki Posts
Search

France end of March 2017?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
France end of March 2017?

We are holding (Fare Lock) cheap business class fares SFO-CDG for the end of March, for 7 nights stay. Undecided about staying in Paris, versus flying on to Mulhouse to visit Basel/ Alsace, or South to Roussilon/Languedoc?

Any hints of what the weather might be like?

We have not driven in France before: is it very difficult? We've driven in the UK and Australia and that's pretty easy. If we go out of town we'd probably want to drive.

Thanks
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by mmack
Undecided about staying in Paris, versus flying on to Mulhouse to visit Basel/ Alsace, or South to Roussilon/Languedoc?
In the middle of winter, I would only consider Paris. In March, daylight is limited at this latitude and the chance of your enjoying either Alsace or Languedoc/Roussillon is greatly lessened. Many popular beach towns in Languedoc/Roussillon will the completely empty.

I would only consider Paris as there is still much to see and do, even when it rains.

Cold, cloudy, and wet. As mentioned, days will be very short. I would pack an umbrella and rain gear. I might trade my sunglasses for a warm scarf.

We have not driven in France before: is it very difficult? We've driven in the UK and Australia and that's pretty easy. If we go out of town we'd probably want to drive.
Driving in France is easy. You´re not thinking that we drive on the left are you? However staying only 1 week does not give you sufficient time to drive to Languedoc and back to Paris.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Undecided about staying in Paris, versus flying on to Mulhouse to visit Basel/ Alsace, or South to Roussilon/Languedoc?
If you want to see the Alsace, you might as well start in Strasbourg and drive down to Basel.

I think that a week might be very ambitious as you'll loose much time on the road.

Depends on the region you finally end up visiting. The South can be warm enough for shorts and t-shirts, whereas the north will most probably be still too could. Furthermore, it's rather difficult to foresee, if it's going to be rainy or not. March is one of these months where probably anything can happen (from snow and ice to 30°C and sun).

We have not driven in France before: is it very difficult?
No. The French have a bit more aggressive driving style than other nations. Especially in big agglomerations (Marseille, Paris), it's more nerve cringing to drive. Overall driving in France is rather enjoyable.

Originally Posted by Tamino
In the middle of winter, I would only consider Paris. In March, daylight is limited at this latitude and the chance of your enjoying either Alsace or Languedoc/Roussillon is greatly lessened.
That's where you're wrong. The middle and the end of March (and spring in generally) can be perfect to visit the south. If you are lucky with the weather, it will be warm and sunny. You won't have the usual crowds at the sights, on the road, etc...
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by WorldLux
That's where you're wrong. The middle and the end of March (and spring in generally) can be perfect to visit the south. If you are lucky with the weather, it will be warm and sunny. You won't have the usual crowds at the sights, on the road, etc...
I used to live in the south and it seemed like each year was different in the early spring. Some years rainy, some years sunny. But yes it's good to explore off-season when it's not so crowded. And yes driving is easy. Big cities can be interesting, but these days with GPS's that is easy too.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Some years rainy, some years sunny
But that does apply to the rest of the year as well. Anyone having spend time in France in the past week will certainly agree.

I've been in the South of France on 24th December, walking thru the streets in flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt (+/- 25°C and sunny). A week later there was snow.

The end of March is usually not too cold anymore. It's obviously still too cold for beach activities. Last year (during the first week of March), I swam very briefly in the very cold mediterranean sea.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Thanks for all your suggestions.

What I am considering is flying directly from CDG south or east: ie just to the Roussilon or Provence, or Alsace and tootling around, by car, then back to Paris for a night or two, then back to Hawaii.
We're not really beach people, despite our home.
We like gardens, scenery, wine..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.