Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Depart PAR for Brittany following Paris Marathon; Best Way?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire

My girlfriend will be running the Paris Marathon, on April 3, next year. We're looking for logistical help with leaving the city and continuing our trip, which will be a week in Brittany.

Backstory is, fly nonstop DFW-CDG Mar 31, arrive morning of Apr 1, spending two nights at the Westin Vendome. She should finish the race @ 2:00PM, given her historical times 4-4 1/2 hours).

She's willing to jump in a car immediately after finishing the race, for the four hour drive to Dinan. (with me doing the driving) or we could take a late afternoon train from Gare Montparnasse to Rennes, which the innkeepers tell me is the nearest place to Dinan to rent a car; then a 40 minute drive from Rennes to Dinan. Either way it will be fairly late evening by the time we arrive at our B&B. My concern here is, how difficult will it be to pick her up in a car and depart Paris while the race is still in full swing? Between security and what I imagine will be many roads closed/blocked, that could be a very stressful way to start a road trip.

Another option she suggested is, I go ahead and drive to Dinan either the day before or the morning of the race, with most of our luggage, leaving her with an overnight bag. I'm SPG Gold, so we'd be guaranteed late checkout, which would give her time to shower and change before taking the train. She could Uber to Gare Montparnasse and I could drive back to Rennes to pick her up. I'm not a runner, and I've been at the finish line for enough of her races that she doesn't need me there for the moral support. Our biggest issue is simply getting out of the city as easily as possible. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

PS., if I do decide to stay for the race, I'd love some ideas about a convenient/not too crowded watching spot. Will all the cafes along the route be packed to the rafters?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:17 pm

The heart of your question is whether to drive or take the train to Dinan.

Great info on train travel can be found at the Man in Seat 61 website. I am a big fan of trains over driving, especially when it is just to get from one place to another with few if any stops, as in your case.

In considering renting a car, check carfefully if the rental agency is open Sundays and if so when. Many are not and I would call the local office to confirm rather than relying on web info or an offsite CSR.

Have you considered spending the night in Rennes and then diving into Dinan the next morning?

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Dec 29, 2015 at 1:38 am
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Thanks for your reply. I have considered whether car rental agencies will be open on a Sunday, and will confirm that when making a reservation.

The heart of my question, however, isn't so much about drive/train; I've done both in France several times, and am equally comfortable either way. In this instance, Google maps says it's a four hour drive from PAR-Dinan, vs. 4;05 hours by train from Gare M.-Rennes, then a 40 minute drive.

Our main issue is which will be easier to depart Paris the day of the marathon, and should I even bother staying around for the day of, or leave the day before in a rental car, and have my girlfriend take the train after the race. We will need a car once in Dinan anyway, and I'd prefer to arrive there the first time in daylight, to get my bearings. Then it would be simpler to drive back to Rennes the next evening to pick her up.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by NotDuncan
Thanks for your reply. I have considered whether car rental agencies will be open on a Sunday, and will confirm that when making a reservation.

The heart of my question, however, isn't so much about drive/train; I've done both in France several times, and am equally comfortable either way. In this instance, Google maps says it's a four hour drive from PAR-Dinan, vs. 4;05 hours by train from Gare M.-Rennes, then a 40 minute drive.

Our main issue is which will be easier to depart Paris the day of the marathon, and should I even bother staying around for the day of, or leave the day before in a rental car, and have my girlfriend take the train after the race. We will need a car once in Dinan anyway, and I'd prefer to arrive there the first time in daylight, to get my bearings. Then it would be simpler to drive back to Rennes the next evening to pick her up.
Have you considered renting a car somewhere outside of the marathon zone - maybe at CDG or ORY? Or perhaps some other town along the RER (although this may be tricky being Sunday - but I suppose you could rent the day before and then park it nearby).
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Actually, Gare du Nord is outside of the marathon course zone. That may be a good option for a rental car (and it looks like some agencies there are open on Sundays).
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Actually, Gare du Nord is outside of the marathon course zone. That may be a good option for a rental car (and it looks like some agencies there are open on Sundays).
Great tip, thanks. I had considered renting at CDG, but Gare du Nord would be a less expensive Uber ride, and still put us in the right direction.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:45 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Just a quick point... It's 2:05 from Paris Montparnasse to Rennes by TGV, not 4:05, if that influences your decision...
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
Just a quick point... It's 2:05 from Paris Montparnasse to Rennes by TGV, not 4:05, if that influences your decision...
stut, thanks for the reminder about TGV. Bogged down in trip planning generally, I had only looked at the SNCF schedule which is where I got the 4:05 train time.

You're right, TGV is 2:05, and yes that makes a big difference. We have decided to leave together after the marathon, so can be in Rennes by @ 6PM, then a quick hop to Dinan by car.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Leave Britney alone!
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/1078154/
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Bumping my own OP, normally wouldn't but I have the trip planning figured out and still would like some suggestions about what to do/where to hang on marathon day.

Any Parisiens available to advise on a good watching site? Ideally I'd love to sit at a sidewalk café and watch the spectacle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.