good quality bistros/restaurants paris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
Then you need to get out more and look around.
I eat out almost on a daily basis.

The restos that I go to close on the wknds because their clientele are usually in their country houses. And they'd like to spend time with their families.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I eat out almost on a daily basis.

The restos that I go to close on the wknds because their clientele are usually in their country houses. And they'd like to spend time with their families.
Perhaps you need to try a poorer neighborhood.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond

Paris has been homogenized, there are no more "no go zones" you find Bobo going everywhere. One of my dearest friends who happens to own a very well sought after Resto lives in the " prostituition" area St Denis. He paid over a million euros for his 3 bedroom place. No poor areas here.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:08 am

Paris has been homogenized, there are no more "no go zones" you find Bobo going everywhere. One of my dearest friends who happens to own a very well sought after Resto lives in the " prostituition" area St Denis. He paid over a million euros for his 3 bedroom place. No poor areas here.
It was a joke, hence the wink. As I don't live in Paris, I am in no position to judge, and certainly wasn't talking about no go zones. That said, I guess the question remains, where do all the people live who can't afford a million euros for their three bedroom apartments and don't have country homes live? Do they have restaurants in those neighborhoods, do they stay open on weekends, and are they any good? I find it hard to believe that a city as big as Paris has no reasonable, decent restaurants open on the weekend, even though there may be fewer than during the week. It may be that your own personal eating patterns may not lead you to find those restaurants, however.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In general, people go out during the week and not the weekend. Even ones who don't have country homes.

Mainly people cook and entertain at home on the weekends. Of course there are some that are open, but those are just brunch like places.

Sundays,the tradition is to eat at grandma's, and usually a roast chicken, thus the name Poulet de dimanche. Now there are some places that are open for example Lazare (very good and some sundays they even serve the chicken),
L'atalier, but in general places are closed.

And I didn't see the wink, for I was on my phone having a quick bite to eat at Cafe Constance before tonight's cocktails.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:48 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
And I didn't see the wink, for I was on my phone having a quick bite to eat at Cafe Constance before tonight's cocktails.
My recollection is that Café Constant is open on Sundays as are Christian Constant's other Paris restaurants, Les Cocottes and Le Violon d'Ingres.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
My recollection is that Café Constant is open on Sundays as are Christian Constant's other Paris restaurants, Les Cocottes and Le Violon d'Ingres.
They are, Le Voilon is an toile (and am not sure if they are open on Sundays). Les Cocottes is closed for renovations, I think they open mid March.

Voilon is open on sundays. And Les Cocottes is open now.

Last edited by Yahillwe; Mar 6, 2015 at 12:16 am
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:28 am

I thank Yahillwe for the suggestions and encourage the others to chime in with weekend suggestions rather than just say disparaging things.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:37 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Le Voilon is an toile (and am not sure if they are open on Sundays).
According to the website, it is.
135 Rue Saint-Dominique
75007 Paris

Déjeuner : 12h00 - 15h
Dîner : 18h30 - 23h
Ouvert 7/7
And Les Cocottes has reopened:
We are thrilled to announce the re-opening of Les Cocottes de Christian Constant after undergoing some wonderful much needed renovations. We’re sure you’re going to enjoy the improvements. It’s just like before, only better!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Am I right in understanding that the five restaurants/bistros under Maison Constant are being recommended?
(as having good quality food and reasonably good lunch deals)

http://www.maisonconstant.com/en/restaurants/

Cafe Constant,
Les Cocottes,
Le Violon d'Ingres,
Le Bibent,
Bistrot Constant

Yahillwe
Am I right in assuming that the restaurant Lazare that you mention is the one in the Gare Saint-Lazare?
http://lazare-paris.fr

Last edited by helosc; Feb 28, 2015 at 1:50 pm Reason: deleting a wrong assumption
Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by helosc
Am I right in understanding that the five restaurants/bistros under Maison Constant are being recommended?

Cafe Constant,
Les Cocottes,
Le Violon d'Ingres,
Le Bibent,
Bistrot Constant
Café Constant is classic bistro. It is casual and reasonably priced (for paris, that is). It is open until 11:00 am for breakfast and then non-stop from noon to 11:00 pm.

Les Cocottes serves mostly casseroles in cast iron pans. It's a bit more expensive than Café Constant. Appetizers and first courses are priced between €7 and €11, main courses are about €15 to €30.

Le Violon d’Ingres is Constant’s flagship restaurant. The prices are higher, but not as high as comparable Parisian restaurants. Expect to pay €40 and up for set menus. Otherwise, starters are in the mid twenties and main courses are €40 and up.

Constant’s other two restaurants are not in Paris; Le Bibent is in Toulouse and Bistrot Constant is located in Montech (~ 50 km north of Toulouse).

Christian Constant was the executive chef at the Hôtel Crillon; he left in 1996 to open his own restaurants.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 28, 2015 at 6:36 pm
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by helosc

Cafe Constant,
Les Cocottes,
Le Violon d'Ingres,
Le Bibent,
Bistrot Constant

Yahillwe
Am I right in assuming that the restaurant Lazare that you mention is the one in the Gare Saint-Lazare?
http://lazare-paris.fr
Yes the one at Gare St Lazare.

Am not sure if Les Cocottes has opened yet, I'll pass by tomorrow and will let you know.

Le Violon, is his Michelin resto, I don't think it is open on sundays, but again I will check tomorrow.

There is: http://www.yannick-alleno.com/restau...is-brongniart/, the food is very good there.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Thank you TWA884 for clarification.
I only glanced at the Maison Constant site and then posted the link.
But now I have looked more closely.

To add :

The Cafe Constant does not have lunch menu deals, on the other hand they have a very reasonably priced menu - entrees 11 €, plats 16 €, desserts 7 €.
They also have a 'Chef's suggestions menu' at higher and variable prices.

Cafe Constant is open every day.

Les Cocottes have a lunch menu : 2 courses 23 € and 3 courses 28 €.

Les Cocottes is open every day.

Le Violon d'Ingres has a lunch menu, 2 courses for 39 €.

Le Violon is open every day.

And thank you Yahillwe for the recommendation of Le Terroir Parisien.

As far as I can see there are two locations.

Le Terroir Parisien
Palais Brongniart
28, Place de la Bourse

They have a lunch deal, 2 courses + coffee from 26 €.

Closed Saturday for lunch and all Sunday.

Le Terroir Parisien
Maison de la Mutualite
20, Rue Saint Victor

I can not see their menu, the link isn't working.

They are open every day for lunch and dinner.

I am staying very close to Gare Saint-Lazare for 3 of my 5 nights in Paris. and I had looked at the Lazare but must admit that I dismissed it without checking too much as it was a station restaurant.

I sometimes add information such as links and prices to already mentioned restaurants - this will make it easier for other people who are interested in this thread and I check anyway for my own benefit.

Not to go too much off topic but I am also staying in Versailles, and I plan on one dinner there and maybe one lunch.
Any suggestions; same criterias as for Paris restaurants - good quality food at reasonable prices (and no I don't want to eat in the Gordon Ramsay restaurant).
This will be on weekdays.

Last edited by helosc; Mar 1, 2015 at 10:02 am
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by xooz
I thank Yahillwe for the suggestions and encourage the others to chime in with weekend suggestions rather than just say disparaging things.
Sorry, in no way was I trying to be disparaging. Just trying to keep people from despairing that there was no solution and that we should just give up trying to find weekend suggestions. So to add to the conversation, I found a website which specifically lists Paris restaurants open on Sunday.

That site does seem to somewhat confirm Yahillwe's thought that a lot of restaurants are closed on Sunday.

Originally Posted by Paris by Mouth
Did you know that at least half of Paris restaurants are closed on Sunday?
However, if half are still open, some of them must be good. I don't live in Paris and haven't visited in a while (hoping to get back soon). Perhaps those more familiar with the current Paris restaurant scene could take a look and make some recommendations from those on this list.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of the restos on the list are pizzerias, or noodle places,(you can go to St Anne and have lots of noodles) or many are bars.

Some are stared places, and others am not keen about.

Read the descriptions carefully. Some are very expensive, others (coq rico) serve only roasts, as in chicken or foul.

L'entrcote has only one and only one dish, no menu.

I can go on and on. But am leaving you guys to your own.

I said my 2 cents.

Fish and its sister resto across the street are mainly filled with tourists. Good food though.

Regis only serves oysters. No hot food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.