Search

Stopover Rule for Award Ticket - Routing

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2011, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, PC Plat Amb
Stopover Rule for Award Ticket - Routing

Hello,

I would like to book a flight ATL - NYC - CDG with a stopover in NYC (>24h).
The first leg would be on Delta and the second one on Air France.
Unfortunately as a one-way or round-try no agent want to ticket this flight.
Do you know if I can book a classic award with the same itinerary with no stopover and request a flight change for the second leg when I land in NY?

Thanks for your insight!
Old May 27, 2011, 12:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
If I remember correctly, Flying Blue does not allow stop overs when booking award, so you'd have to buy to one-way : ATL-NYC then NYC-CDG.
Old May 27, 2011, 2:21 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
If I remember correctly (but last time I did a stop over with award miles it was during the frequence Plus period) it is possible to do a stop over BUT only after an international leg.
If you where doing ATL-CDG-MAD as an example you can do a stop over in CDG.

in your case the ATL-NYC leg is domestic and therefore does not allow for a stop over in NYC.

In all cases if the transit is less than 24H then it is not considered as a stop over so your only solution would be to find good timing to try to be as close as possible to the 24h window or buy two separate award ticket
Old May 27, 2011, 3:08 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Paulliac is right. The FB website states clearly:

"Make one 24-hour stopover during a round-trip, providing the stopover country is not the country of departure of the outward flight."
Old May 27, 2011, 4:15 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
I'm not sure if your overall itinerary is a round-trip but, if it is, how about taking the NYC stopover on the way back? (That would then be within the rules.) Alternatively, if it's a one-way trip, why not just book two awards: ATL-NYC and NYC-CDG? (You may end up paying slightly more in both miles and taxes, but it shouldn't be that much.)

-- Henry

EDIT: Or, maybe I've misunderstood the rule that cityflyer369 quotes: even for a r/t, maybe the 'country of departure' still counts as USA on your return?

Last edited by Henry III; May 27, 2011 at 4:20 am Reason: Possible misunderstanding of the rules!
Old May 27, 2011, 5:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by cityflyer369
Paulliac is right. The FB website states clearly:

"Make one 24-hour stopover during a round-trip, providing the stopover country is not the country of departure of the outward flight."
Indeed, stop vers are possible for either the outbound or the inbound trip, as long as the city where you want the stopover is in a different country than the outbound/inbound departure.

Example
NCE-CDG-ATL => No stopover possible
ATL-CDG-NCE => Stopover possible

ATH-CDG-JFK => stopover possible in CDG
JFK-CDG-ATH => stopover possible in CDG
Old May 27, 2011, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Henry III
I'm not sure if your overall itinerary is a round-trip but, if it is, how about taking the NYC stopover on the way back? (That would then be within the rules.) Alternatively, if it's a one-way trip, why not just book two awards: ATL-NYC and NYC-CDG? (You may end up paying slightly more in both miles and taxes, but it shouldn't be that much.)
stop over on the return would work
Old May 27, 2011, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, PC Plat Amb
Thanks a lot for all your responses!
I guess I will take 2 awards then for the routing ATL - NYC - CDG in this order.
Old May 27, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Originally Posted by julience
Thanks a lot for all your responses!
I guess I will take 2 awards then for the routing ATL - NYC - CDG in this order.
ATL-NYC is so short and cheap. IMHO it would be a waste of miles. Why don't you just get an award for NYC-CDG-NYC-ATL and buy an ATL-NYC ticket?
Old May 30, 2011, 6:31 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
I should based on what previous posters have said be able to book PAR-ATL-SXM RT with a stopover in ATL on the return? I tried to book this itin RT and I used DL in both directions ATL-SXM but AF won't allow this itin on a classic award. And, no its not an availability issue because I see the seats available. In the previous posts were you talking about the flex awards?
Old May 30, 2011, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Catusa
I should based on what previous posters have said be able to book PAR-ATL-SXM RT with a stopover in ATL on the return? I tried to book this itin RT and I used DL in both directions ATL-SXM but AF won't allow this itin on a classic award. And, no its not an availability issue because I see the seats available. In the previous posts were you talking about the flex awards?
For trip with stop overs I would highly recommend to call FB reservation center and deal this with one of their agent. It is too must to ask for the online booking tool.

Last edited by Pauillac; May 30, 2011 at 9:39 am
Old May 30, 2011, 6:46 am

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
I never would have tried doing this online but I have determined that you MUST know what you are talking about before calling FB even the Plat line because what they say varies from one agent to another.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: AF/KL, LX, IB
KLM has the following in the FB conditions published on its website:
3.14 Awards tickets shall be issued for (i) a one-way flight, (ii) a return flight or (iii) an “open-jaw round trip flight” on AIR FRANCE, KLM and/or - the Airline Partners following the most direct route in both journey directions in accordance with the schemes and conditions specified in FB Communication. Subject to the conditions specified in FB Communication, there may be a break in the journey (stopover). An “open-jaw round trip flight” is a round-trip flight in which points of departure and arrival are different but within the same award zone, or where the originating station for the return flight is different from the arrival station for the outgoing flight but within the same award zone.
It is sort of vague as could be, and so if in theory i want to do AMS-ATL-LED-AMS, can it be considered as AMS-ATL-AMS RT with stopover at LED on return?

in three steps the trip would look like:
  • AMS-ATL as the first part of the itinerary
  • ATL-NYC-LED as the second part of the itinerary (it would be ATL-JFK-SVO-LED, that way it doesnt go back through AMS which would 'terminate' the return)
  • LED-AMS as the third part of the itinerary

my question is: would the system allow the second and third parts to be considered as one (and therefore charged at 25K miles?

I'm really wondering, the FB conditions are vague, but this trip also vaguely looks as AMS-ATL-AMS RT with the only stopover (more than 24hrs) at LED.

what do you think?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Would this be allowed as a 25k classic award in Economy?

ATL - MEX - PVR (destination)

PVR - MEX (3-day stopover)

MEX - ATL (return)
Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There's nothing in the rules that would seem to prevent it. You'd have to book it on the phone - so why not ring, find out, and report back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.