Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Give Blood. It may save a life...YOURS!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Calcifer
Hope it went smoothly, Cassie55! I had a doctor once hit the nerve with me and it is a horrible, horrible feeling. I am surprised the blood center folks would be that bad at it though.

I gave on Sunday--I'm finding that the good thing about giving right when I hit the window is that the mark from where the needle went in last time is still visible, so I can say "There." I have pretty small veins and it's not pretty when they try to get creative, just go with the tried and true...

And pbjag, a happy belated birthday! Glad to hear this one was spent in a much better place.
Thanks for the bday wishes, Calcifer and Finkface!
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:44 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Calcifer
Hope it went smoothly, Cassie55! I had a doctor once hit the nerve with me and it is a horrible, horrible feeling. I am surprised the blood center folks would be that bad at it though.

I gave on Sunday--I'm finding that the good thing about giving right when I hit the window is that the mark from where the needle went in last time is still visible, so I can say "There." I have pretty small veins and it's not pretty when they try to get creative, just go with the tried and true...

And pbjag, a happy belated birthday! Glad to hear this one was spent in a much better place.
Thanks - it was fine

There must have been a note on my file as the nurse mentioned that I had experienced a problem last time.

They were super nice and I treated myself to a mocha cookie crumble Frappuccino as a reward afterwards.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 4:02 pm

Platelet Donations

Platelets are in greater demand than blood, in part, because it is a longer procedure. Donation can take 1 to 1.5 hours.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: US, UA, Marriott, SPG, HH Silver
I finally got over my fear of needles and donated last January. I was planning on going to the next blood drive at my school but ended up getting sick a few days before, and didn't know what it was (allergy/flu/etc), so I simply skipped it to avoid contaminating blood or more people.

I gotta say, being the only A- who can donate blood in my mom's side of the family, I was pretty much on standby when my grandma had surgery, just in case they couldn't get enough donors (A- seemed to be on low supply) or if they had to replace blood blank blood.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:33 pm

Blood Type: O Positive
Eligibility: Whole Blood - 09/11/2013
Double Red Cells - 09/11/2013
Platelets - 07/20/2013
Plasma - 08/14/2013
Last Donation: Date: 07/17/2013
Procedure: Whole Blood Type: Donor Center Location: Fishers
Donations: 2013 donations: 3 Lifetime donations: 39
Old Jul 21, 2013, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I'm in the habit of giving blood every 2 months. It's a good thing to do.

Before they take your blood, the do a test of your 'iron'. Your iron level should be between 15 and 16. That's healthy. So today, my iron level was 17.

When you give blood, you reduce your iron level. So by giving blood today, I was able to bring down my iron level.

I wouldn't even know that my iron level was high unless I gave blood, or went for a check-up.

The otherr way to know if you're iron level is high is by looking in the mirror. Is your face a little redder than normal? How about your ears? This is a warning sign.

A friend of mine had high iron and didn't know it. After he died, his entire family got tested. Several of them now give blood regularly to reduce their high level of iron in their blood.

Bottom line, give blood. It may save YOUR life.

By the way, I'm A-

Dan
It's often called the Celtic disorder ! Heamocromitosis to much iron in the body
I'm O- and give every 90 days , I believe I can give blood to anyone and they won't reject it .

Last edited by spudseamus; Jul 21, 2013 at 10:56 pm Reason: Extra line
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
A- donated in 8 minutes. A new record for me.

dh
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
A- donated in 8 minutes. A new record for me.

dh
Impressive!

Donated last week and just received a letter notifying me that I joined the 3-gallon club. (O+)
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:38 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I just gave platelets yesterday...seems like platelet donations have been lower than usual during the summer months, so the Red Cross has been sending out reminder emails every few weeks.

Originally Posted by saacman5033
Impressive!

Donated last week and just received a letter notifying me that I joined the 3-gallon club. (O+)
w00t! Congrats! ^:-:
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Donating blood as we speak

Pint #: 85
BP: 107/75
Pulse: 73
Blood Type: Red
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:46 pm

American Red Cross--platelet donation plasma restriction

Donated platelets last week, and found out that I've given so much plasma with the platelets that I can't donate for 5 weeks (normally only a 1 week recovery period, normally go every other week). The restriction I was familiar with was 1 donation every 7 days, up to 24 times in a 12-month period. But when I was told that I'd hit the limit, the worker seemed to indicate that there's a new volume limit on plasma loss. Anyone else run into this?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:35 am

donating blood is homophobic, which is why I refuse to participate:

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donatin...opic#lifestyle
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisMcWhitton
donating blood is homophobic, which is why I refuse to participate:

http://www.redcrossblood.org/donatin...opic#lifestyle
I can see an argument that Red Cross Blood is homophobic, but I'm failing to see an argument that donating blood is homophobic. Regardless of the politics of the entity, hospitals are dependent on blood donors to save the lives of patients of all orientations every day.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by rehoult
I can see an argument that Red Cross Blood is homophobic, but I'm failing to see an argument that donating blood is homophobic. Regardless of the politics of the entity, hospitals are dependent on blood donors to save the lives of patients of all orientations every day.
Pretty sure the regulations in question are federal, and the American Red Cross (and other entities that collect blood donations) are merely complying with them.

As for donating blood supporting a homophobic system, perhaps it does, but the benefits of helping save lives ought to (IMO) outweigh it.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
As for donating blood supporting a homophobic system, perhaps it does, but the benefits of helping save lives ought to (IMO) outweigh it.
^ Completely agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.