Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

World's Greatest Shave (Leukaemia / Leukemia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:48 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci

Hey there folks,

The World's Greatest Shave is run by the Leukaemia Foundation - a charity registered by the Australian government - to raise money to assist in treatment for those with Leukaemia (a lot of which are children), as well as to provide funds for research into treatment and possible prevention of Leukaemia and other blood cancers, which will be helpful to those affected around the world.

Patients being treated for Leukaemia often lose all of the hair on their head, and as part of the fund-raiser, those taking part generally get their head totally shaved, although there are other ways of being involved, such as getting hair dyed, etc.

(I currently totally shave my head once a month, but so that there will be a decent amount there to shave, I have just shaved for the last time until the event, in March).

In return for this, we are either sponsored directly by friends, relatives or work associates, or people can donate directly through an official website (with the proceeds going to the individual's own fund-raising effort, the money still goes to the Leukaemia Foundation of course). An example is my personal page. These head-shaving events are often combined with BBQ's or other functions, as a way of the community coming together AS a community to raise money for a vital cause.

Several Australian members of FT will be taking part in the 2012 Shave, and are seeking the support of the FT community in either raising awareness of this event, or by actually donating (and in true FT spirit, gaining FF points through their credit card spend).

As you can see from my page, very little will assist in the vital work undertaken by the Leukaemia Foundation, and their research work will have considerable effect around the world.

Dave
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:37 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Thanks for the poster who has donated (I won't name you) - early days yet, it isn't until mid-March, so still three months away. Let's try and get some money together for research into blood-borne cancers.

Dave
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Whilst contributions to thadocta's Australia-registered nonprofit are not charitably deductible in the USA, they are certainly for a worthy and good cause, good enough non-Australian members may be willing to contribute on behalf of a longstanding FT member who has contributed here himself to our travel knowledge. :-:

(US Internal Revenue Code Section 501 (c) (3) excerpt states, in part,

"Not Deductible As Charitable Contributions

Foreign organizations (except certain Canadian, Israeli, and Mexican charities."

Please note this is only applicable to U S contributors seeking tax-deductability for their contributions; check your own country's regulations for further information.)
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:21 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

World's Greatest Shave is this weekend, thousands of Australians are either getting their heads shaved (like me), or dyed (wimps, go the whole hog) in order to raise money for the Leukaemia Foundation, to assist in research into blood-borne cancers, as well as assisting those afflicted with those conditions.

Cone one, come all, donate to a great cause.

Dave
Old Mar 25, 2012, 2:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
OK, you have managed to nag me into one more... Only because I am naturally more or less hairless, of course, and I really enjoy all the company I can get.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 3:02 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
OK, you have managed to nag me into one more... Only because I am naturally more or less hairless, of course, and I really enjoy all the company I can get.
Ah, so it was you!

Thanks again for another donation, I really like this method of donation.

It means that people around the world can verify that they are donating to a worthwhile cause (it is registered with the Australian government, the 51st state of the US, after all), it is going to the charity directly (so no chance of fraud, not that anybody on FT would do such a thing), it is quick and secure.

Again though, thanks multiple times.

This is one of the fund-raising efforts I really get into. I refrain from shaving my head for about a month or so before the event, on the basis that if people are paying me to get my head shaved, there had better he hair there to be shaved.

We organised a suasage-sizzle and a family BBQ, with a few of us getting shaved, and managed to raise several thousand South Pacific Peso's (aka Australian Doallar, although given how strong it is at the moment, South Pacific Peso is probably not appropriate) for what is truely a great cause.

Once again though (I know, this is sounding like a record) thanks for your support.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.