Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

2011 Capt. Jason Dahl Scholarship fund - contribute, you may win a T-6 "Texan" ride!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Capt. Jason Dahl Scholarship fund - contribute, you may win a T-6 "Texan" ride!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:08 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Capt Denny, thank you for joining us, and making this charity alive for us.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Welcome to Flyertalk, Capt Denny. ^
Old Aug 26, 2011, 6:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've spoken to Captain Dan and his answer is yes.
Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Welcome to FT Captain Denny!

I'll be doing my donation this weekend. In addition, I'm going to email some friends of mine who travel a lot who might like to win the ride or just give to a good cause.

Cheers.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:03 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk Capt Denny!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 8:51 pm

Donation Update

After Capt. Jason Dahl tragically lost his life on Sept 11th his wife, Sandy, set up a scholarship in Jasons name to give financial assistance to young men and women interested in an aviation career. Each year we increase our giving and in May we distriputed $15,000 to seven students. Your help will keep Jasons memory alive through those that the scholarship helps. dahlfund.org

After two days we have four members that donated to the Capt Jason Dahl Scholarship. Three wanted chances and one member just made a donation to the scholarship. Total donated $150

I was quite suprised to receive a donation from Dublin. Thanks aidanc. My family is from Cork and my wifes family is from Kilfree in County Sligo. We took the whole family, 44 of us, there last summer.

Capt Denny
Old Aug 26, 2011, 9:14 pm

Captain,

First a warm welcome to FT.

Could you explain the structure of the fund? Does it only pay out investment earnings each year or is it also distributing its endowment? I have a strong preference for supporting efforts that can grow in perpetuity and help more people each year as a result (though you'll get a bunch of my money either way through another effort).

Hope to meet you in Denver in a few weeks.

Ryan
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:24 pm

Now there's at least 5 donations. thanks for doing this.

-David
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:02 am

Ryan,
Every year we add to our endowment so at some time it will be sustained by the investment earnings. Currently our scholarships are paid out through donations from corporate sponsors and fund raisers such as Flyer Talk and Mile Point. Jeppesen and Nascar are currently our biggest donors.

Capt Denny
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:06 am

Thanks David, we had a few donations overnight and one from Australia. Just shows the impact September 11th had on all of us.

Tally for Saturday morning is $250

Capt Denny
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation If I win, one of you wins!

Done! Let's get on this one, fellow FTers - it's a great way to remember those valiant aircrew and passengers who were taken from us that infamous day, as well as those in the buildings and their would-be rescuer heroes, and enable someone who dreams of flight to undertake the expensive, long route to accomplish that task.

And here's the deal: I earned a few chances on the ride, and will contribute the Texan ride to another FlyerTalker who contributes to this worthy effort if I win! (I will come to some arrangement with our Community Director over how that person will be chosen if I happen to win.)

Capt Denny, welcome - and I am glad to hear Jepp' is in on this scholarship fund!
Old Aug 27, 2011, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
If I win one you you wins also!

Originally Posted by JDiver
Done! Let's get on this one, fellow FTers - it's a great way to remember those valiant aircrew and passengers who were taken from us that infamous day, as well as those in the buildings and their would-be rescuer heroes, and enable someone who dreams of flight to undertake the expensive, long route to accomplish that task.
I can only afford one chance to win but as I won't be able to go I will happily donate my WINNING ticket (sorry Jdiver but I am going to win this one)
to a FT'er who donates AT LEAST $100 to the fund!

Let's do this in memory of all our loved ones, friends and family who suffered on that day.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Welcome to FlyerTalk Capt Denny!

You might recall the exchange with ATC quoted in my signature line...

cheers,
Alan
Old Aug 27, 2011, 2:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hah! So you say! :neener neener:

(I recently saw a rating for FT online says it is for less than mature audiences, so I guess I qualify.)

But really, in either case, a member who donates wins, and we win too, me colleague. Your idea of a $100 donation is very, very good!

Originally Posted by squeakr
I can only afford one chance to win but as I won't be able to go I will happily donate my WINNING ticket (sorry Jdiver but I am going to win this one)
to a FT'er who donates AT LEAST $100 to the fund!

Let's do this in memory of all our loved ones, friends and family who suffered on that day.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 2:41 pm

Donations just Quadruuuuuupled since this morning. We are now at $1025.

Thanks to all of you. More to follow.

Capt Denny

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.