Wiki Posts
Search

Miami Sea port, shopping and Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Miami Sea port, shopping and Airport

As part of a big tour with the family we will be arriving from our cruise at 7am in Miami Port and departing to the UK at 2.10pm from MIA international. It will be on 23 December and would like to do some shopping for Christmas presents on the way. Nothing special, but a Walmart or something similar near the airport would be fine.

So, I wanted some advice on what would be best to do.

1. Get a taxi to the airport, check in then another taxi to a Walmart or Dolphin Mall.

2. Go on the way and stop somewhere between port and airport (advantage, might be cheaper and quicker, disadvantage will have luggage).

3. Something else.

We are from the UK and have no time to shop before the cruise and in any case wouldnt want to carry pressies on cruise anyway. Any ideas on how best to work this out practically and is there any alternative to several taxis?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:33 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
If you drive, it would be much more practical (and probably cheaper) to rent a car.

You can rent from someone near the Port Terminal and return it to the Airport Rental Center or take a taxi to the Airport Rental Center and rent there.

With a car, you can go to the Walmart at 87th Ave with 13th St (this is a large one) and to the Dolphin Mall, as both are near the Airport.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
car rentals

There are lots of car rental companies which pick up @ the cruise port terminal. We used Avis. Off the boat, you simply wait for their shuttle bus which operates every few minutes. Trust me, you won't be alone. I did not see any taxis?
Be aware that traffic in Miami is nuts. I recommend a GPS (we had our own, we used it in Cozumel).
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:17 am

Be aware Walmart and others like Target will look like a bunch of wild animals went through the place.

Expect large crowds to be picking the bones of the beast too
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
There are lots of car rental companies which pick up @ the cruise port terminal. We used Avis. Off the boat, you simply wait for their shuttle bus which operates every few minutes. Trust me, you won't be alone. I did not see any taxis?
Be aware that traffic in Miami is nuts. I recommend a GPS (we had our own, we used it in Cozumel).
There are plenty of taxis at the cruise terminal.
If you have a smart phone, there is no reason for a separate GPS (sat nav). Just download the free Waze app. It's much better than any GPS on the market.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
With a 2:10 flight you won't have much time for shopping as you need to aim to be at the airport checking in by noon. Also, a 7am arrival time for a cruise does not necessarily mean they will start disembarkation then. For example, my last cruise had a 5am arrival time listed - disembarkation started at 7:30am.

If you really want to do it, option #1 won't work, as you won't have time to go to the airport, check in, and then leave again.

Make sure you are one of the first off the ship, plan to self disembark if at all possible.

A rental car will be a good idea - gives you a place to store your luggage. Have your route to the Walmart and the route from the Walmart mapped out in advance.

Or consider hiring a car service, that way you aren't the one having to figure out the roads.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by wrp96
With a 2:10 flight you won't have much time for shopping as you need to aim to be at the airport checking in by noon. Also, a 7am arrival time for a cruise does not necessarily mean they will start disembarkation then. For example, my last cruise had a 5am arrival time listed - disembarkation started at 7:30am.

If you really want to do it, option #1 won't work, as you won't have time to go to the airport, check in, and then leave again.

Make sure you are one of the first off the ship, plan to self disembark if at all possible.

A rental car will be a good idea - gives you a place to store your luggage. Have your route to the Walmart and the route from the Walmart mapped out in advance.

Or consider hiring a car service, that way you aren't the one having to figure out the roads.
No reason to be there by noon, but in the 12-12:30 timeframe probably is a good idea (and even 12:30-1 if the OP managed to check in and drop luggage before shopping, though obviously the OP needs a strategy for dealing with the purchases.)

There is a Target very close to the airport. I assume there's a Wal-Mart close by too. Depending on how quickly you get off the boat, that might give you time to check your bags at the airport.

Uber is another great way to get around Miami.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Blumie
No reason to be there by noon, but in the 12-12:30 timeframe probably is a good idea (and even 12:30-1 if the OP managed to check in and drop luggage before shopping, though obviously the OP needs a strategy for dealing with the purchases.)
I would expect the day the OP is traveling, the Friday before Christmas, to be extra busy, particularly with infrequent travelers. This can back up check in and security, even for people with priority status, hence why I would say plan on being at the airport by noon in the OP's situation, an international flight with checked bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.