Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MIA TSA/CBA question who mans this checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

MIA TSA/CBA question who mans this checkpoint

After arriving at MIA terminal D from MAD, I went through global entry and dropped off checked bag. Then going on to connecting flights corridor I got to the section where you go left -making about 45 degree angle left to another corridor which leads to the terminals. (The terminal entrance being between DFS Cigars and Sweet Indulgences). As you made that left to get to the terminal and before reaching the actual terminal area, there was a uniformed person behind a podium. Is it TSA, border patrol, or airport security checkpoint? I ask because I was in a hurry to catch my connecting flight and the individual there asked me illegal questions and I wasn't able to catch their name and branch. Wore dark uniform and badge. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can have a better idea of who to contact for my discrimination complaint. Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Did the uniform look like this:

http://gtapolicemods.com/showthread....Police-Officer

Note: This is a mock up, not a picture of a real person.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Did the uniform look like this:

http://gtapolicemods.com/showthread....Police-Officer

Note: This is a mock up, not a picture of a real person.
Actually, no. There was a real shiny badge and the person wore a dark uniform (navy blue-ish or black) with a patch on the arm. I can't remember for sure if they wore weapons but I have a vague recollection they did. Does anyone else in the airport wear dark uniform with shiny badges? Is the location too distant for Customs to be stationed monitoring the corridor to the terminals? Looking at the Customs and Borders photos website, it seems very likely a customs officer, but I am not sure that they'd be logically positioned after the global entry exit unless they monitor the exit corridor to the connecting flights terminals.

Thanks though for the mock up link because I can eliminate the Miami police officer from the list of potential agencies since their uniform is not dark.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What were they asking? That might help shed some light on their employing agency. "Illegal questions" is a bit conclusory.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
What were they asking? That might help shed some light on their employing agency. "Illegal questions" is a bit conclusory.
They were asking personal information not relevant to the purposes of any of the agencies at the airport; questions that federal employees are usually specifically trained NOT to ask because they are illegal. There is no identifiable connection between the questions asked and any potential agency. Because complaints must go to the proper agency and I only transited through MIA I was hoping that someone would have gone through international baggage pick up/customs and flight connections area and may know whether those stationed at the perimeters are border patrol, TSA, police, security, or some other agency I am unaware of. There are only two exits (connections and destination) and I took the connections exit from customs area. Only one person was stationed at the corridor since it is narrow and I am guessing to prevent people wandering into the international customs area rather than interrogating people like me who were exiting.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by oaken
Actually, no. There was a real shiny badge and the person wore a dark uniform (navy blue-ish or black) with a patch on the arm. I can't remember for sure if they wore weapons but I have a vague recollection they did. Does anyone else in the airport wear dark uniform with shiny badges? Is the location too distant for Customs to be stationed monitoring the corridor to the terminals? Looking at the Customs and Borders photos website, it seems very likely a customs officer, but I am not sure that they'd be logically positioned after the global entry exit unless they monitor the exit corridor to the connecting flights terminals.

Thanks though for the mock up link because I can eliminate the Miami police officer from the list of potential agencies since their uniform is not dark.
Sounds like the Border Patrol agents of Customs, however they would be the same uniforms as the Customs agents that interview you as you pass through the checkpoint. They can be anywhere as it's their responsibility to find illegal aliens.

The following link is their appearance policy, you will see different pictures of their uniforms:

https://nebula.wsimg.com/81946546684...&alloworigin=1

Unfortunately, they may ask questions you feel maybe discriminatory but are asked to determine if someone should be where they are. They stop someone who looks like they may be doing something suspicious, however if you were doing nothing wrong, as you were, they let you through. There are signs entering the airport that by entering this federal facility, you are consenting to any inquiry or search requested by federal officials.

Note: I don't work for any government agency, but have to transport people after dealing with customs in MIA and they have gotten frustrated with the process.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Sounds like the Border Patrol agents of Customs, however they would be the same uniforms as the Customs agents that interview you as you pass through the checkpoint. They can be anywhere as it's their responsibility to find illegal aliens.

The following link is their appearance policy, you will see different pictures of their uniforms:

https://nebula.wsimg.com/81946546684...&alloworigin=1

Unfortunately, they may ask questions you feel maybe discriminatory but are asked to determine if someone should be where they are. They stop someone who looks like they may be doing something suspicious, however if you were doing nothing wrong, as you were, they let you through. There are signs entering the airport that by entering this federal facility, you are consenting to any inquiry or search requested by federal officials.

Note: I don't work for any government agency, but have to transport people after dealing with customs in MIA and they have gotten frustrated with the process.
I am getting more confident that it was border patrol/customs officer. While they have lots of powers, they do not have the right to ask the questions I was asked. I did call different agencies who agreed it was a serious complaint but they were stymied as to who needed to address the issue because of the problem in identifying the agency and officer involved. I am not sure that the phone numbers provided lead to people who work in the airport itself and who would automatically know who would be physically present in specific locations. Hence my dilemma. Now I am hesitating between TSA and border patrol/customs but what is weird is that one of the shoulder patches shown on the uniform in that border patrol uniform manual has both.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
They were asking personal information not relevant to the purposes of any of the agencies at the airport; questions that federal employees are usually specifically trained NOT to ask because they are illegal. There is no identifiable connection between the questions asked and any potential agency. Because complaints must go to the proper agency and I only transited through MIA I was hoping that someone would have gone through international baggage pick up/customs and flight connections area and may know whether those stationed at the perimeters are border patrol, TSA, police, security, or some other agency I am unaware of. There are only two exits (connections and destination) and I took the connections exit from customs area. Only one person was stationed at the corridor since it is narrow and I am guessing to prevent people wandering into the international customs area rather than interrogating people like me who were exiting.
Again, all of this makes sense to you because you were there and witnessed it. Nobody else was (other than the agent/officer in question). Can you provide some specifics? That really might help provide a great deal of clarity.

The fact that you have concluded that the questions were not relevant to any of the agencies at the airport does not mean that they were not and it also does not mean that someone else here has not experienced those questions and can then identify the individual's employing agency.

So, what exactly were you asked?

Specifics may get you something useful. Or not. At that point you have hit a dead end.

If you can't make a specific complaint, you know where that leads.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

I am getting more confident that it was border patrol/customs officer. While they have lots of powers, they do not have the right to ask the questions I was asked. I did call different agencies who agreed it was a serious complaint but they were stymied as to who needed to address the issue because of the problem in identifying the agency and officer involved. I am not sure that the phone numbers provided lead to people who work in the airport itself and who would automatically know who would be physically present in specific locations. Hence my dilemma. Now I am hesitating between TSA and border patrol/customs but what is weird is that one of the shoulder patches shown on the uniform in that border patrol uniform manual has both.
TSA said it would escalate if it were them but thought it was simply untrained airport staff and another office downright said it was illegal. So please accept the fact that it is illegal no matter which agency asked. Nor could any of the agencies I contacted figure out what agency was responsible based upon the questions asked because they are completely irrelevant to the purposes of any law enforcement agency in the airport. When I first called them I hadn't looked at the airport map and could only say it was right after baggage drop/customs and they assumed that it couldn't be anyone other than local police or an airport worker even though I told them that it was a person in uniform with a badge and that I wasn't in the main terminal areas.

Last edited by oaken; Mar 20, 2016 at 11:19 pm
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Why is it so difficult to tell us what questions they asked?
I am curious to know what questions you think are illegal for CBP to ask.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Border Patrol wears a different uniform than CBP officers that greet you when you arrive at the airports, seaports and land borders.

you can see the difference in uniforms in this photo.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...ategy-2020.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.