Pick up spot at FLL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 2:04 pm
Ambassador: LATAM
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Pick up spot at FLL

Hey Florida travellers.

I am arriving at 6.12pm from BOG in MIA and a friend of mine will be arriving at 6.15pm from JFK in FLL. I will have to clear immigration, he will have cleared immigration in JFK and be a domestic pax by the time he gets to FLL. He is flying DL

We are both going to the same hotel in Palm Beach and I propose to pick him up in a rental car on the way past. I will have roaming activated but he will not.

Given the uncertainty of my arrival time in FLL having cleared immigration, picked up my rental car in MIA and driven up the I-95, can anyone suggest a pick up "strategy?" There is little point me telling him to wait outside FLL for maybe 90-120 minutes. Is there a nearby eatery where he can go and I can park up and run in and fetch him? Or would it be a better idea to send him on a shuttle to a hotel and then I go to the hotel?

I just checked the Tri Rail and it doesn't look like it is worth sending him down to MIA where I could meet him at the Car Rental Center or something. Is it worth me asking him to go one stop north to Cypress Creek on the 6.58pm train? That arrives about 15 mins later at which point I think I would be well on my way in the rental car. Would Cypress Creek Station be an easier place to find someone than FLL or nearby?

If anyone has any thoughts then please do share
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Hey Florida travellers.

I am arriving at 6.12pm from BOG in MIA and a friend of mine will be arriving at 6.15pm from JFK in FLL. I will have to clear immigration, he will have cleared immigration in JFK and be a domestic pax by the time he gets to FLL. He is flying DL

We are both going to the same hotel in Palm Beach and I propose to pick him up in a rental car on the way past. I will have roaming activated but he will not.

Given the uncertainty of my arrival time in FLL having cleared immigration, picked up my rental car in MIA and driven up the I-95, can anyone suggest a pick up "strategy?" There is little point me telling him to wait outside FLL for maybe 90-120 minutes. Is there a nearby eatery where he can go and I can park up and run in and fetch him? Or would it be a better idea to send him on a shuttle to a hotel and then I go to the hotel?

I just checked the Tri Rail and it doesn't look like it is worth sending him down to MIA where I could meet him at the Car Rental Center or something. Is it worth me asking him to go one stop north to Cypress Creek on the 6.58pm train? That arrives about 15 mins later at which point I think I would be well on my way in the rental car. Would Cypress Creek Station be an easier place to find someone than FLL or nearby?

If anyone has any thoughts then please do share
The train station would be easier as there is not much around FLL. You could use the cell lot but if he isn't reachable by cell that won't work. Actually one stop is Fort Lauderdale (city) but Cypress Creek will be less crowded.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The train station would be easier as there is not much around FLL. You could use the cell lot but if he isn't reachable by cell that won't work. Actually one stop is Fort Lauderdale (city) but Cypress Creek will be less crowded.
An alternative it take one of the hotel shuttles from the airport to a hotel near I-95 or I-595. Pick him up there. Plus he can then relax with a beverage at the lounge, check his luggage if need be.
There are several. Sheraton near 95, a bunch off of 17th St Causeway, which is fairly convenient to the freeway. Let me know if you need help with a choice of one.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:36 pm
Ambassador: LATAM
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks both of you, I have since explored the hotel idea myself so he can go up there, have a drink and eats and maybe even use the wifi. I figured Crowne Plaza was the best bet to save me doubling back on myself, it looks to be near the Sixt rental office. So I can come off at the 595 and get back on along SE24th St

Unless you have a better hotel suggestion. Obviously it's best to use a hotel shuttle where they don't mind you using the bus and having a drink there without staying

I see I can do even less driving around with the Sheraton, I had only looked at a zoomed out map and didn't realise it pretty much has its own junction
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Either of those two would be my choices. I would go with whichever one has the better shuttle times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.