Miami Hotel prices

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Miami Hotel prices

Hey guys,

I was wondering if this is normal:

I was in Miami in August and stayed at the Winter Haven, Autograph Collection for 145$ a night. I am looking at the same hotel in January and prices are 500$+ a night!

I stayed at other hotels while I was in Miami in August as well and the prices of the hotels are all 2-3x the price now in January

I was wondering... is this normal for Miami? Come "winter" the prices skyrocket? That's quite the rise in price though...
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, it's normal. August is fairly low-season in Miami, but January is pretty much the height of it. August in southern Florida is usually hot and humid, with strong afternoon thunderstorms. There are some summer holiday people there (often Europeans) but I stay away from the place because it's nicer at other times of the year.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:45 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to the dedicated forum on Florida. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
You have to get much further north in Florida to see the seasons reverse. In Panama City, we're still a summer vacation destination. We do get a contingent of snowbirds but they're from so far north, a 60 degree day in January feels balmy. On a bad day, though, we might not get out of the 30's. Miami is much more like a Caribbean destination - it would be rare in January not reach 70 degrees or better. People come in January to truly escape winter. You have to really appreciate heat and humidity to come in August. So, yeah, a 2X or 3X multiplier sounds right.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The beaches in July and August are fairly vacant. We refer to the summer months as our winter months because we can't wait for them to be over.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The beaches in July and August are fairly vacant. We refer to the summer months as our winter months because we can't wait for them to be over.
Up here we have people who complain about every part of the year except a very brief spring. It's difficult to match your weather desires every day of the year no matter where you live. I happen to like heat and humidity and enjoyed July & August when I lived in South Florida, about 100 miles north of Miami.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.