Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Rumor - Increased Traffic at FLL Starting in March?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Heard a "rumor" from one of the UA staff at FLL this morning that I should anticipate a dramatic increase in traffic at FLL in March. Something to the effect of 10 flights and over 1,000 passengers before 1000? Was told that I should arrive earlier than normal and to anticipate very long security lines.

Anyone else heard this as well?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Sounds to me like typical Spring Break/Easter seasonal traffic.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Additional flights for spring break traffic from ORD,DEN, EWR, and CLE. When United started service to FLL in the early 1970's CLE was one of the first cities served, and it was not a hub.
I will be taking in March the 7:00PM nonstop on a Friday as I have done for several years. With the schedule cutbacks CLE-FLL is going to a 737-700 all year, no capacity at all is added in the winter/spring. Even RSW is a 737-800. The morning flight has been a 737-900 most of the past year. Understand the loss of the hub feed but alot of local traffic onthis route and every flight I have taken has been very full. You are also loosing Miami and West Palm Beach flights to not really any open capacity to consolidate.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Additional flights for spring break traffic from ORD,DEN, EWR, and CLE. When United started service to FLL in the early 1970's CLE was one of the first cities served, and it was not a hub.
I will be taking in March the 7:00PM nonstop on a Friday as I have done for several years. With the schedule cutbacks CLE-FLL is going to a 737-700 all year, no capacity at all is added in the winter/spring. Even RSW is a 737-800. The morning flight has been a 737-900 most of the past year. Understand the loss of the hub feed but alot of local traffic onthis route and every flight I have taken has been very full. You are also loosing Miami and West Palm Beach flights to not really any open capacity to consolidate.
Thank you.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
FLL just does not have the capacity to handle a huge influx of paxs. Seating areas are crowded and the TSA Pre Check lanes have become zoos with the TSA having seniors opted in. AFAIK only DL has a lounge so it usually means standing until your flight boards (AA EXP here). With Pre Check now a mess you can't count on arriving at the airport at T-45. T4 seems to be larger but you are probably flying Spirit and a crowded terminal will be the least of your travel issues that day.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
FLL just does not have the capacity to handle a huge influx of paxs. Seating areas are crowded and the TSA Pre Check lanes have become zoos with the TSA having seniors opted in. AFAIK only DL has a lounge so it usually means standing until your flight boards (AA EXP here). With Pre Check now a mess you can't count on arriving at the airport at T-45. T4 seems to be larger but you are probably flying Spirit and a crowded terminal will be the least of your travel issues that day.
"Dramatic" capacity increases won't be possible until the South runway extension project is completed. What's listed in the OP sounds like, as others have noted, seasonal maximums (spring break, easter/passover, height of cruise traffic,etc).
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:44 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I know this is a few-month-old thread but,

1) UA has a club in T1.

2) The largest Terminal is T1, and it is also the most modern.

-LPDAL
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The FLL airport has 4 separate terminals. When I lived there 30 years ago just had 1 terminal so I think they have done a good job rebuilding the airport. The traffic can be quite nasty especially in the winter and spring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.