Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Incredibly long queue at MIA immigration (Jan 2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties

My family and I arrived at Miami on Monday the 6th around 1800 and went to immigration. To my surprise, for non-US holders there were so many people waiting at immigration that there was a queue to get to the queue to immigration! This pre-queue started at the back of the circular windows looking down and was not organized except for only groups of people let through the doors to immigrations when there was space (understandable). Once inside, the normal, fenced queue to immigration things were more controlled. Staff took queue-cutters seriously and sent them to the back of the line (thank you letter to MIA airport sent). In the end it took about 1h 15m from arrival to the first queue until we where at the immigration booth, but I saw the queue growing behind me so there must have been people worse off. In total it took slightly less than 2h from deboarding the plane until we had exited customs.

I usually enter at other USA airports and haven't seen such a US immigration queue before. My thoughts on this:
  1. Is this normal or was it due to people not travelling through the northern airports (that had winter delays) and the fact that this was the end of the winter holidays?
  2. As a visa-waiver passenger I pay:
    • $7 immigration fee
    • $17,50 US international arrival tax and
    • $14 ESTA fee
    ie. a total of $38,50 of fees directly related to US immigration, on top of the fees to APHIS and US customs. Shouldn't I be able to expect queues like this avoided?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gnopps;22129492[*
As a visa-waiver passenger I pay:
  • $7 immigration fee
  • $17,50 US international arrival tax and
  • $14 ESTA fee
ie. a total of $38,50 of fees directly related to US immigration, on top of the fees to APHIS and US customs. Shouldn't I be able to expect queues like this avoided?
No, it's called taxation without representation

Of course, for the country whose seminal event leading to its establishment is the Boston Tea Party, and where many people believe in exceptionalism, this situation it is hypocritically embarrassing to the max, let alone self-defeating (the share of global tourism heading for the US is shrinking).
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Unfortunately, not in Miami; Miami arrivals when a tranche of international flights arrives is not a zoo, because we should not insult most zoos like that.

The best way to arrive in MIA is to possess Global Entry.

For those who do not qualify for a Trusted Traveller programme, the best way to enter the US is - at any other airport than Miami.

N.B. As this is not airline-specific, it will relocate to the appropriate forum. /Moderator
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
Unfortunately, not in Miami; Miami arrivals when a tranche of international flights arrives is not a zoo, because we should not insult most zoos like that.

The best way to arrive in MIA is to possess Global Entry.

For those who do not qualify for a Trusted Traveller programme, the best way to enter the US is - at any other airport than Miami.

N.B. As this is not airline-specific, it will relocate to the appropriate forum. /Moderator
Yep, what JDiver said.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
well.. if he came in on American, then yes it is... as AA and the oneworld partners share one CBP portal.

Global Entry doesn't really help you in Miami unless you have only carry-ons. I've waited upwards of an hour to get my bags there... not sure why, but I've never received my bags in Miami less than 20 minutes after arrival AT BAG claim...
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: AA & jetBlue
The Feds have not staffed MIA like they should. It really is as simple as that. Put that with Miami being an entry point to some of the biggest immigration issues like human tracking and drug tracking the officers do take their time with each passenger.

I would imagine JFK and LAX have the same issues unless they are staffed better.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 11:19 am

If you fly into the US, definetly avoid any airports in FL as your first point of entry. Try one of the bigger HUBS like ORD, EWR or IAD. Though IAD is a miss or hit. Though usually those hubs are much better staffed then MIA or MCO. IAD is also seems a bit understaffed especially their transfer arrival. So far ORD and EWR have been well staffed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.