Wiki Posts
Search

Quickest method between FLL/CUN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Quickest method between FLL/MIA

I'd like to schedule a long weekend trip to Cancun for me and my wife in February or March as cheaply and efficiently as possible using WN points (+ our CP) and UR points. I was thinking we could fly WN into FLL, drive to MIA, and fly AA (using Avios) to CUN (total cost of 16k WN and 18k UR for both of us).

If we don't travel with checked luggage, and given the ~30 min. drive time between the two airports, what would be a safe estimated time between the connections? There seem to be a lot of WN arrivals in FFL that coincide with AA departures from MIA about two hours later (and vice versa on the return - ~2 hrs between the MIA arrival via AA and the FLL departure via WN). I'm thinking this would be cutting it too close, especially considering the international flight/customs...? What would be a reasonable amount of time?

Last edited by dajoip; Jan 5, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
You could also try flying into Tampa (TPA) and catch the AA flight from there. You still have to go through MIA but it would be as a connection so no driving between airports (and cost of a car rental/taxi). Tampa is a much better airport for customs ect than MIA or FLL. You could even look into flying into MCO and then AA from there.

AA also flies nonstop from ORD to CUN.

You don't say where you are flying FROM so hard to know.

Last edited by MoreMilesPlease; Jan 5, 2014 at 3:40 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
You could also try flying into Tampa (TPA) and catch the AA flight from there. You still have to go through MIA but it would be as a connection so no driving between airports (and cost of a car rental/taxi). Tampa is a much better airport for customs ect than MIA or FLL. You could even look into flying into MCO and then AA from there.

AA also flies nonstop from ORD to CUN.

You don't say where you are flying FROM so hard to know.
My thinking was that MIA-CUN RT for two only costs 18k Avios, half the amount of either TPA-CUN or MCO-CUN. I was hoping to utilize our WN CP and limit higher-priced UR redemptions. Also, availability is much better out of MIA than out of TPA or MCO, which is a big deal since I'm trying to pair it with a WN itinerary.

We fly out of GRR.

Last edited by dajoip; Jan 5, 2014 at 4:26 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Delete
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:29 pm

Two factors are at play:
  1. Missing the Connecting Flight: If you miss the connecting flight (for any reason), will you be able to easily get on the next flight. I don't fly enough to have an opinion on how AA or WN will handle that situation.
  2. Traffic: You don't mention the time of day when you'll be transferring between FLL and MIA. I live in Fort Lauderdale (about 10 minutes directly north of FLL) and used to work part-time in a building that was adjacent to MIA. If I was scheduled at 5am, I never worried about traffic. But, if I had to be there at 9am, my travel time increased by 3 or 4 times.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Two factors are at play:
  1. Missing the Connecting Flight: If you miss the connecting flight (for any reason), will you be able to easily get on the next flight. I don't fly enough to have an opinion on how AA or WN will handle that situation.
  2. Traffic: You don't mention the time of day when you'll be transferring between FLL and MIA. I live in Fort Lauderdale (about 10 minutes directly north of FLL) and used to work part-time in a building that was adjacent to MIA. If I was scheduled at 5am, I never worried about traffic. But, if I had to be there at 9am, my travel time increased by 3 or 4 times.
I don't know the answer to #1.

For #2, the flights I'm looking at right now would put the 2-hr transfer window at noon-2 on the outbound, and 2:30-4:30 on the return.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by dajoip
I don't know the answer to #1.

For #2, the flights I'm looking at right now would put the 2-hr transfer window at noon-2 on the outbound, and 2:30-4:30 on the return.
You'd probably be fine in either direction around noon. The other time frame is creeping into rush hour. I wish I had more experience with the drive. Unfortunately, most of the time I've driven back to the FLL area was closer to midnight.

You might consider calling/emailing a shuttle/limo company. They would have a much better idea on traffic between the airports. I use Go Airport Shuttle out of FLL. They are the "official" shuttle service at FLL. You might be able to find someone cheaper...but, I like the fact that there is a person outside of each terminal when I arrive.

http://www.go-airportshuttle.com/

Even if you don't book with them, they should be able to provide a better idea when it comes to traffic and transit times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.