Community
Wiki Posts
Search

South Florida bucket list

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 8:23 am
Original Poster

South Florida bucket list

My wife and I have one final year left of living in West Palm Beach. We have been here for 2 years but have not been able to experience much due to her being in a medical residency, me traveling for work, and we have a 1.5 year old girl.

Now that the little lady is older, my wife is a senior resident (at least 2 weekends off a month!), and we have 1 year until we move away we want to make a bucket list of things to do.

For fun I thought I would ask the board for suggestions. Kid friendly and non-kid friendly suggestions are welcome. I'm doing this for fun so if you are not interested in contributing no problemo!
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: IC RA
Get over to Wellington and catch a polo match.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:53 pm

Have you done the Keys at all?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Investor 11
Get over to Wellington and catch a polo match.
Actually did that for the first time this year and it was a blast. I actually live in Wellington about a mile from the fields. We had a friend who setup a tailgate and everything. Great suggestion and ill throw it on the list because its worth a repeat.

I did Key West for one night. I think we will put an entire weekend in Key West on the list.

Disney with my daughter is on the list.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:26 pm

Key West for either Fantasy Fest or New Years Eve. Not if you're prudish.

Key Largo for scuba diving. Snorkel around Ft. Jefferson, Dry Tortugas. Actually, snorkel anywhere in the Keys.

Hemingway house, Truman's white house, butterfly sanctuary all in Key West. And catch the Cat Man on the quay at sunset.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: IC RA
Originally Posted by stils
Actually did that for the first time this year and it was a blast. I actually live in Wellington about a mile from the fields. We had a friend who setup a tailgate and everything. Great suggestion and ill throw it on the list because its worth a repeat.

I did Key West for one night. I think we will put an entire weekend in Key West on the list.

Disney with my daughter is on the list.
I no longer live there, but grew up in Wellington. You did it right with the tailgating. The other option is to buy into one of the all you can eat and drink tents.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:53 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, please follow the thread to the Florida forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott, SW, United
Some locations to think about;

Everglade's National Park
A overnighter in South Beach (if you can find a sitter)
Little Havana, Miami
Old Jun 11, 2013, 3:21 am

Polo was my #1 too.

For my #2: Is the bar in the Breakers hotel with the tropical fish swimming around under your drinks still there? A great spot for crab cocktails for lunch.

#3 is dinner at Chuck & Harolds. People watching at its best!

#4 - definitely Key West

#5 - a space shuttle launch. Drat it's too late for that.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Capricorn
Polo was my #1 too.

For my #2: Is the bar in the Breakers hotel with the tropical fish swimming around under your drinks still there? A great spot for crab cocktails for lunch.

#3 is dinner at Chuck & Harolds. People watching at its best!

#4 - definitely Key West

#5 - a space shuttle launch. Drat it's too late for that.
I like the breakers bar idea. We met someone for dinner but his wife was pregnant and we had an infant so we went to the Italian place which was kind of a zoo with kids etc. I saw the bar thiugh which was cool. That'd be really fun to do a non-peak drink there and maybe bring the kiddo. Or if we can get a babysitter have some more fun.
A google search of chuck and Harold's says maybe it's closed.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Chuck and Harold's is long closed. The owner when down with his ship in the Perfect Storm, the same one the movie was made about.
The restaurants were swallowed up by Landry's who turned perfectly great restaurants into crap.

Bucket list with the kids, especially in the summer is the Venetian Pool in Coral Gables.
Air Boat Ride as well. I prefer the one in Cooper Town, but have not been out there in years, so others may have ideas.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Chuck and Harold's is long closed. The owner when down with his ship in the Perfect Storm, the same one the movie was made about.
The restaurants were swallowed up by Landry's who turned perfectly great restaurants into crap.

Bucket list with the kids, especially in the summer is the Venetian Pool in Coral Gables.
Air Boat Ride as well. I prefer the one in Cooper Town, but have not been out there in years, so others may have ideas.
The Venetian pool looks awesome! Minimum age is 3 years old though so we won't be making it there before we move unfortunately.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Not sure if you've made it to Key West yet, but Dry Tortugas was one of my top travel experiences this year. I still fantasize about it.

Also, Biscayne National Park and John Pennenecamp State Park in Key Largo for snokeling/glass bottom boat tours.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Not sure if you've made it to Key West yet, but Dry Tortugas was one of my top travel experiences this year. I still fantasize about it.

Also, Biscayne National Park and John Pennenecamp State Park in Key Largo for snokeling/glass bottom boat tours.
Just looked into Dry Tortugas. Looks fantastic. I have been to Pennecamp,and it was great too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.