Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

MIA Miami Airport layover - what to do to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MIA Miami Airport layover - what to do to?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
There is a hotel (landside) above the Concourse E ticketing areas - it is called, cleverly enough, the Miami International Airport hotel:

http://www.miahotel.com/

I haven't stayed there in over 16 years, so can't give a meaningful report, but you could always check Trip Advisor for basic information. The main attraction is not having to exit the terminal building to reach the hotel,
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Thanks guys. Hotels require an overnight stay. There's no facility to just use the room for a few hours (like I've seen in Singapore). So far, it looks like buying lounge-access is my best bet.

I'll wait and see if there's any more ideas...
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage; HHonors; US Air Dividend Miles
Just because the hotel requires an overnight stay doesn't mean you have to stay overnight. If you can get a decent rate (whatever decent is to you) then get the room (early check-in if possible) and rest and then go ... they can't tell you when to check-out ... just when to check-out by ...

That being said ... a hotel is a commodity and as such, *ASK* at the front desk if they have a day rate ... i can't imagine you're the first person to need/request such, especially at a gateway airport.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage; HHonors; US Air Dividend Miles
update on MIA hotel

The couple on the plane with me just confirmed that the airport hotel at MIA *will* do a day rate. It's $95 and is no reservations or phone calls. Gotta go and ask for it. But ... That might be worth it, your mileage may vary.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Originally Posted by Imissbraniffandchaparral
The couple on the plane with me just confirmed that the airport hotel at MIA *will* do a day rate. It's $95 and is no reservations or phone calls. Gotta go and ask for it. But ... That might be worth it, your mileage may vary.

Perfect. that's exactly what I was interested in. I'll call 'em up. Thanks!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Imissbraniffandchaparral
Just because the hotel requires an overnight stay doesn't mean you have to stay overnight. If you can get a decent rate (whatever decent is to you) then get the room (early check-in if possible) and rest and then go ... they can't tell you when to check-out ... just when to check-out by ...

That being said ... a hotel is a commodity and as such, *ASK* at the front desk if they have a day rate ... i can't imagine you're the first person to need/request such, especially at a gateway airport.
This kind of think is done by pilots who need to rest where they say get n on a red eye then go toa hotel and sleep for an 8pm flight.

What you can do s book a room at an airport hotel explain to them your situation and ask about a late check out around 3pm. Then the kids could take a nap and play in the pool the hotel has. They may have a special rate for you.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, COPA ConnectMiles Gold, LATAM Pass Gold
Early AM Long Layover in MIA

I´m arriving MIA from EZE on AA 900 on March 9, 2013 at 4:15 AM. I have booked a Cruise with Carnival leaving Port of Miami, but I can check-in no earlier than 12 PM.
Any ideas on what I can do with this layover? I´m guessing MIA shops will be mostly closed. Maybe its worth buying an Admirals Day Pass, but it seems that spending $100 (me and my wife) on a Day Pass might not be worth it.
Any thoughts?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by jpsantopinto
I´m arriving MIA from EZE on AA 900 on March 9, 2013 at 4:15 AM. I have booked a Cruise with Carnival leaving Port of Miami, but I can check-in no earlier than 12 PM.
Any ideas on what I can do with this layover? I´m guessing MIA shops will be mostly closed. Maybe its worth buying an Admirals Day Pass, but it seems that spending $100 (me and my wife) on a Day Pass might not be worth it.
Any thoughts?
You won't be able to access the AC as once you exit customs you will be landside. I'd suggest doing Priceline or Hotwire for an airport hotel where you can shower, change, relax and even get a nap in. You could also put your stuff in storage, rent a car and head to South Beach for breakfast and some touring.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, COPA ConnectMiles Gold, LATAM Pass Gold
Thanks newyorkgeorge!
I´ve thought of the airport hotel option as a good alternative... On the other hand, I don´t think that many shops and cafes would be open at 5-6 AM on South Beach or anywere else in Miami Beach...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:53 am
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Several branches of CVS and Walgreens are open 24h; look at their websites to find one that is convenient to you.
Most Walmarts are also open 24h - again, look at the website.

No fine shopping, to my knowledge, opens 24h, but the above are well suited if you need to load on toiletries or (I'm Brazilian ) still gets mesmerized by the overkill abundance of American retailers.

La Carreta (restaurant) branch at SW 8th St is also open 24h

In Miami Beach, several spots (mostly food and drink) are also open 24h. The ones that came to mind are
- News Cafe (Ocean Drive w/ 8th, I believe)
- Jerry's Deli (Collins Ave)
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Art Deco District on 6 hour layover

I have a 6 hour layover in MIA in early June (LGA-MIA-MGA). I'm arriving in MIA in the morning, and leaving in the afternoon. I'd like to leave the airport and have a look at the Art Deco district. Two questions:
1) How would I get from the airport to the Art Deco district using public transport? I don't think renting a car would make sense.
2) Is it realistic to to leave the airport if I only have 6 hours?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: Alaska & Hyatt
Miami Layover

I land at 640 AM & Leave at 1205 PM

I'm flying in from Seattle & flying out to San Salvador

will i have enough time to have breakfast on South Beach?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by dakid23
I land at 640 AM & Leave at 1205 PM

I'm flying in from Seattle & flying out to San Salvador

will i have enough time to have breakfast on South Beach?
Yes, it should take 20 minutes from MIA to SoBe. 1 hour for breakfast. During the week give about 45 minutes back. However, as you can see not much time. Is it really worth the cost.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: Alaska & Hyatt
it will be on a Saturday.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:10 pm

Cruise Traffic

I'm not sure how passengers departing from cruises affects local traffic and MIA. But, Saturday and Sunday mornings in Fort Lauderdale can be brutal. I'm a local and I won't drive anywhere near the port on weekends. Likewise, you couldn't pay me to depart FLL on a weekend afternoon.

I doubt that vehicle traffic will be an issue. It's possible that getting back through security at MIA might be a pain. Someone that regularly uses MIA might be able to confirm/deny my assumption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.