Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Fri, Sat or Sun: least horrid day for Harry Potter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, BA, AA

We will be in Orlando the weekend of August 14. The Universal Orlando/Harry Potter is a must-do, but we will have to go on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

Which day has the smallest crowds, and is it better to go first thing in the morning, or to wait until late afternoon/evening?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:20 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I can't say definitively, but I would guess that Friday would be the best day given that locals may be at work then, but at the parks on Saturday/Sunday.

As for the best time of the day, I would say that if you are staying at an onsite hotel and can get into the park early, then go then. You should have an extra hour before the general crowds are let in. But if you aren't staying onsite, I would think your best bet is later in the afternoon/evening. This wouild be due to all the onsite guests getting into lines before you can even get into the park.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by hhoope01
But if you aren't staying onsite, I would think your best bet is later in the afternoon/evening. This wouild be due to all the onsite guests getting into lines before you can even get into the park.
One of my daughter's friends works at Universal, and she said that *lots* of people rush straight to HP land when the park gates open, and that it dies down (relatively speaking) later in the day, so this is probably the best plan. Hopefully by August it might have eased off some too.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Insider info is great... Thanks!
Old Jul 4, 2010, 8:07 am

Saturday will be the worst day to visit any theme parks, since you'll have the local crowd along with all the tourists. Sunday evenings aren't too bad (relatively speaking) since many tourists start or end their trips on that day, and so thus are busy trying to get in or out of town as oppose to playing in the park. Plus, the local crowd isn't going to be staying out late on a work night.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
For sure, avoid saturday.
I would try friday
Old Aug 4, 2010, 1:06 pm

Apologies, but I whole heartedly disagree with the poster above. On July 5th-6th the lines at Harry Potter only got progressively worse throughout the day, to the point where Universal staff had to hand out numbers for the people in line as they were simply gridlocked in that area of the park.

My advice:

1 - Stay at one of the three on site hotels (Hard Rock or one of the two Loews properties). They are not cheap, but include two key features, a "fast pass" type option (which will not be valid for Harry, but most everything else at the parks), and allow for early entrance to the park.

2 - Get to the park early early early. If you do stay on site, they will let you into the park at least an hour before official opening time, others have reported even earlier than that.

3 - Go directly to the Harry Potter world and ride the rides. When we first got there at approximately 9am, our wait time was +/-15 minutes. The wait wasn't bad as most of it was inside (read A/C) and had lots of interesting 'wizard looking' things to see. We got off the ride and immediately went back on and had a similar wait time. By 10a the lines were literally double what they were before, and by noon the line had to be three hours, minimum.

I have no idea if the lines got better towards the end of the day, but the park as a whole slows down between 5 and 7p and picks back up depending on what time they close.

Also note they allow no bags or backpacks on the Harry Potter ride. There are free lockers you can keep them in while you ride, and they are fairly strict about no bags, including womens' purses. This could easily add 10 minutes to your wait time. Fanny packs (sorry Brits!) appear to be allowed without too much grumbling.

There are also incredible lines (30-45 minutes) to get into the souvenier shops in Harry Potter land. I have no idea why, as there is no way I would stand in line to get the chance to look at things to buy.

If you want to try the "Butter Beer" look for a waitress near the big barrel cart, it will be faster than standing in line. The folks standing in line are either getting a refill (cheaper, and the waitresses won't bring refills) or ordering something else.

The "Express Pass" option is not in place for the Harry Potter rides, but does work for most of the other rides in the park. This pass is free (included in your hotel rate for up to 5 people in your room) if staying on site, and can be purchased in the park for (I think) $30 per person. It made a huge difference during the day, not so much during the early hours. Also, the Express Pass is valid on your day of check in and out. Thus, one night hotel = two days of Express Pass. If you have an American Express Platinum card, the Loews Portofino is a FHR property and their rates include cold breakfast buffet and a $100 food/beverage credit. Not bad if you can get a rate +/-240/night.

I currently live about a 3 hour drive from Orlando, and I am taking the family on a Monday/Tuesday trip.

But to directly answer your question, my advice as to the best times would be:

1-Early early Friday AM
2-Early early Sunday AM
3-Early early Saturday AM
4-Rest of Friday
5-Rest of Sunday
6-Rest of Saturday

Hope this helps and have fun!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
A bit late, but this may help others, we just returned and found that this really helped to choose a park for a given day. We found that Harry Potter Forbidden Journey was best on the Sunday morning at approx 1000 (we made a late decision and ordinarily I would like to have got there at 0900) and although it advertised a 30 min wait it was actually 15 - including getting the locker for your backpack.

Butter beer is well worth it !

Queuing for an hour and a half for the Oleanders shop and the wand show is an absolute waste of time unless your sprog is picked to take part in the show. Other than that, give it a miss imo.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, TAM Fidelidade, Delta Skymiles
I was there 2 fridays ago and almost no lines in the attraction. I think it's the best option...
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vegasimp
I was there 2 fridays ago and almost no lines in the attraction. I think it's the best option...
Slowing down a bit I suppose finally.. all of the diehards have had their fill. Maybe a good opportunity to go down on weekdays.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
My family and I went yesterday. Forbidden journey was a 10 minute wait at 1000am, by the time we got out it was 20, and was 20-30 the rest of the day when I checked. This was the first time I have gone to a theme park on a weekday in years, and compared to how it typically is on weekends made it worth taking a vacation day. We hit both parks and walked right into most rides and shows. The only line we saw over 30 minutes was Olevander's wand shop show. I didn't see a time posted, but I would guess close to an hour.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I've got a 5 year old and 10 month old.. debating if its worth it to visit Universal this time around. Is Harry Potter worth the ticket for a young family?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 6:31 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Is Harry Potter worth it for a 10 month and a 5 year old?

I suspect the 10 month won't get much from any amusement park quite yet. I guess how much your 5 year old would get out of that section depends on how much into Harry Potter s/he is. S/he will probably be too small to ride the Forbidden Journey and the Dragon Challenge rides, but might be able to get something from the rest of the park area. Getting some butter-beer, walking around the stores, etc, may be fun for a 5 year old.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Is Harry Potter worth it for a 10 month and a 5 year old?

I suspect the 10 month won't get much from any amusement park quite yet. I guess how much your 5 year old would get out of that section depends on how much into Harry Potter s/he is. S/he will probably be too small to ride the Forbidden Journey and the Dragon Challenge rides, but might be able to get something from the rest of the park area. Getting some butter-beer, walking around the stores, etc, may be fun for a 5 year old.
Butter-Beer? For a five year old? Must be an appropriate beer product for a 5 year old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.