Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair to reduce in-flight drinkservice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties

Though bad news, these are kind of charming. AY will no longer offer several brands of alcohol in economy class, but rather on brand per alcohol type. So when other European airlines are taking away just about everything, AY just takes away the choice. Something I as an eco-passenger certanly can live with

http://www.finnair.com/web/finnair/s...6&pageid=-8734
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I've only flown AY twice and that was on the LGW-HEL route (in Y). The service was out of this world and my lasting memory will be of the fact that they seemed intent on drowning you in brandy after the meal service.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Here's the same URL without the "sessionID" so it should work for everyone:
http://www.finnair.com/web/finnair/s...6&pageid=-8734
Old Feb 15, 2005, 6:44 pm

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb
You are right Tony, the amount of brandy and whiskey they manage to squeeeeeze into a glass is just mind bogling!
Next step for them (and SK for that matter) should be to go to an etiquete class somewhere (France) and learn how much brandy one should put in a glass.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by miles4all
Next step for them (and SK for that matter) should be to go to an etiquete class somewhere (France) and learn how much brandy one should put in a glass.
No, no no... They are just following the Nordic etiquette on that - they are Nordic based airline after all
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by miles4all
You are right Tony, the amount of brandy and whiskey they manage to squeeeeeze into a glass is just mind bogling!
It wasn't the amount they put in that concerned me - it was the number of times the glass was refilled. I had a terrible cold and the cognac seemed to be acting as quite a good decongestant. I kept knocking them back, they kept filling up the glass. It's what you might expect up at the front, but on our 99 tickets it was brilliant (as was the service on that whole flight, btw).
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:30 am

Programs: UA*G, SK-EBB, DL-G, IB-Silver Marriott Gold , HHonors Gold, SHG Gold
Originally Posted by harri
No, no no... They are just following the Nordic etiquette on that - they are Nordic based airline after all
Interesting that they were the only European Airline to rank in the top-10 (i think number 3) ranking of international FAs in a French business travel magazine that I picked up in one of the lounges. The rest were all asians. Finns do have their roots in Asia dont they....?
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by MADflyer
Finns do have their roots in Asia dont they....?
Woah, and we look so oriental anyway so that must be true
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by harri
Woah, and we look so oriental anyway so that must be true
Well, language-wise at least, Finnish (and Hungarian for that matter) has more to do with Asian than European languages.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 4:23 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by graraps
Well, language-wise at least, Finnish (and Hungarian for that matter) has more to do with Asian than European languages.
Say what?!?

Sorry but, language-wise at least, this is complete bollocks.

Finnish and the other Finno-Ugric languages have neither more nor less 'to do' with Asian than with European languages.

cheers,

Henry
(M.A., Linguistics)
Old Feb 19, 2005, 9:33 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
thread hijack in progress

OK, most people agree that the Finno-Ugric languages form a subfamily of the Uralic languages. And there are quite a few Uralic speakers east of the Urals (Samoedic languages), i.e. in Asia, let alone all the Ugric speakers like the Khanty and the Mansi.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:12 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Latest rumours tell that AY will discontinue the free drink (alcohol) service totally in Y later this year, June 1st was mentioned as the date. I have no facts to back this up but this is the general feeling among people who are supposed to have some sort of inside knowledge.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 4:49 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Latest rumours tell that AY will discontinue the free drink (alcohol) service totally in Y later this year, June 1st was mentioned as the date. I have no facts to back this up but this is the general feeling among people who are supposed to have some sort of inside knowledge.
True. Beer and wine will remain free while whisky/cognac/liquor will not.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA*G, SK-EBB, DL-G, IB-Silver Marriott Gold , HHonors Gold, SHG Gold
EU / US divide

One funny development on this issue. I have noticed on several USA based FF threads that they are complaining about all the drinking on EU carrier members of their alliances.

Have noticed this most on CO OP when complaining about the free-slowing booze on VA flight. They dont like Richard Bransons' marketing in the UK and feel it atracts the "wrong sort."

Just another in the long list of growing cultural divides between the US and EU.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
I travelled HEL-CDG a couple of days ago on AY A321. Although delayed, the flight was great with friendly FAs, decent hot food and comfortable seats. The new drink service was noticable in that they couldn't serve a G&T in economy..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.