Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY lounge at LHR ; boarding psss says No.1 lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY lounge at LHR ; boarding psss says No.1 lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by ffay005
Now that you mention it... I actually had a similar conversation with the check-in agent at the Y counter. There were only two counters manned 2 hours before SDT, and since the Y counter had no line, that's where we went. The agent handed out the BPs and gave directions to the AF lounge. I said we were probably going to the CX lounge, to which he replied that I wouldn't be able to guest anyone in. I gladly replied that my traveling companion is AY Gold so it won't be a problem and left the agent looking quite baffled.

I'd assume the agents have little knowledge of lounge access rules. AY probably only trains them to direct people to the cheapest lounge with which they have made an agreement, and the agents won't visit the lounges as pax so why would they know...
I went to the AF lounge with a guest (at least, there was decent Alsace white ). There was a whole group of 8-odd Finnish speakers in there too.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
I actually liked the VIP section service, freshly cooked food, and afternoon tea selection at the No. 1. lounge. But now that Yo Sushi is gone from T3 (...?!) I will need to get my noodle soup from the CX lounge.

*edit: haha, I actually got censored (above).
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:28 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
You used the forbidden 'World Trade Federation' acronym? :-D
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by intuition
You used the forbidden 'World Trade Federation' acronym? :-D
Yup. But I really did refer to the Watergate Task Force.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: AY+ Plat Lumo
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Just checked in for flight to HEL
Boarding pass says I am invited to use the number one lounge at LHR
This is odd!
Surely I am better of using one of the one world lounges?
Had a quite long break in commenting here, but have been reading all the time.. But my BP said CX lounge last Friday (Sept. 22nd), maybe AY has changed the lounge in LHR? Excellent service and food served in the CX first lounge. (flying Y)

Last edited by GeeTee77; Sep 26, 2017 at 8:59 am
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: finnair plus platinum
Cathay Pacific lounge at Heathrow

Few videos about my visit at Cathay Pacific first class lounge at London Heathrow, 28.Sept 2017

Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by intuition
IME many check-in agents are "forcefully" directing pax to the contract lounges. I can't count the number of times I've been told "we use this lounge, do you know where it is?" and I reply "nah, I'm just going to go to CX first lounge". They usually looks baffled and say something like "No, Finnair uses <insert crappy contract lounge name here>".
Ha! Agent at SIN did the same thing to me. Gave me detailed instruction of the location of dnata lounge. I just nodded ... uh huh ... uh huh ... ok. I still went and stayed at QF lounge (until closing time).

Btw, does anyone know why AY choose to send its passengers to these other lounges when there are OW-airline lounges nearby/at the same terminal? I've seen this at SIN, BKK, HKG and ORD and from what people are saying above, sounds like the same thing at SFO. Is it really a cost issue?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:17 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Well, they need the contract lounges anyway for the statusless J pax. Perhaps those agreements are based on a certain volume, or they have one base cost and one per pax cost and that makes them wanting to keep volumes up.
Or it might even be an training issue - instructions and training focuses on the contract lounge as that is the fail safe option.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Well I know I'm in the minority here, but I have enjoyed the No1 lounge at Heathrow a lot, even more than the CX J lounge. So much in fact that I gave up on my plan of lounge hopping and stayed at the No1 lounge the whole time. But maybe I' more of the leisure traveller type.

I have also been to the No1 lounge at Gatwick which is not nearly as nice.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AY Platinum
The No1 lounge at Heathrow is excellent, no shame there.

(Or at least it was when I went there. Haven't been there since the CX F lounge opened.)
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
so the statusless J pax of AY at HKG and SIN are not allowed into the CX and QF Lounges?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by warakorn
so the statusless J pax of AY at HKG and SIN are not allowed into the CX and QF Lounges?
Indeed, much like with BA J statusless @hel. They are directed to Almost@home, not Finnair lounge.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
They are allowed, however, not encouraged.
In HKG QF lounge is the contract lounge.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by warakorn
At SIN, CX uses the same dnata/contract lounge as AY. If you're talking about the new CX-operated lounge that's supposed to be open later this month, it will be at T4. Not sure if it is worth the hassle to go there (unless you're a die-hard lounge hopper ) as there's no skytrain between T1/2/3 and T4 - only shuttle bus.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Are any OWS or OWE travelling LHR to HEL this Sunday? I'm travelling with two Finns who have no status and will be in T3 from around 16:00-18:00, so if there are any kindly fellow travellers that could guest in my ++1 it would be so much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.