Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Fazer becomes the lounge operator at HEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat

Finnair has chosen Fazer to run all three lounges (catering and customer service) at HEL as of July 1st, 2017.

I'm quite excited as I do believe this will result in higher quality food and possibly even customer service. Previous operator Starfood Finland has, in my opinion, been quite mediocre.

Head of Ground experience implies enhancements at the Premium lounge: "In our Premium lounge we will, for example, have a Fazer chef preparing meals for customers from fresh seasonal ingredients in front of the customers"

Last edited by lkrt; Apr 13, 2017 at 9:19 am
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Interesting - let's hope for improvements! And I'm sure many of us welcome a change anyway. I guess if played right this could also be a good marketing opportunity for Fazer at the same time.

Remembering my high school days, Fazer/Amica doesn't always stand for high quality and good taste, though, but I'm sure there's no reason to jump into any premature negative conclusions.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Lets hope so, but to be honest lately they have improved offerings at the schengen side atleast...

They really need more space there... perhaps a premium schengen side for OWE only ahem ahem no self serving interest here

The sparkling stuff there really needs to be replaced with something drinkable
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:38 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by loimu
Interesting - let's hope for improvements! And I'm sure many of us welcome a change anyway. I guess if played right this could also be a good marketing opportunity for Fazer at the same time.

Remembering my high school days, Fazer/Amica doesn't always stand for high quality and good taste, though, but I'm sure there's no reason to jump into any premature negative conclusions.
I have experiences from several workplace canteen/restaurants operated by Amica. Quality depends on the amount of €€ the company in question is willing to pay.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:18 am
R2

Originally Posted by SPBanker
Quality depends on the amount of €€ the company in question is willing to pay.
Exactly. And this is why I don't hold my hopes particularly high.

Head of Ground experience implies enhancements at the Premium lounge: "In our Premium lounge we will, for example, have a Fazer chef preparing meals for customers from fresh seasonal ingredients in front of the customers"
I'll be mighty surprised if the chef is there beyond the opening day ceremony.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:38 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by SPBanker
... Quality depends on the amount of €€ the company in question is willing to pay.
Exactly.
Very few operators win the contract by promising low quality food. There may be better and worse contractors, but in the end the prospect limits the ambitions by max € allowed.

Not saying this is a bad move, but if the contract was "to make more with less €" then it doesn't matter who won the contract.

Anyway, if premium lounge starts to serve actual meals (and not just deli-snacks) then that is a very good development.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, IC Plat. Amb., HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, etc.
Fazer is hiring the chef.

Also available are lounge services manager and supervisor if one of you wants to make a difference.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Doesn't Fazer have a policy where food is produced in a central kitchen in Estonia due to lower labour cost and then brought over by freight transport? Will this also be implemented at HEL lounges?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by mosburger
Doesn't Fazer have a policy where food is produced in a central kitchen in Estonia due to lower labour cost and then brought over by freight transport? Will this also be implemented at HEL lounges?
Umm... no? At least in all Fazer restaurants I've eaten at they've made (almost) everything on the spot from scratch.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:48 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mosburger
What is your source for this?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I sure hope this will drastically improve the (horrific) food in the Schengen Lounge.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I sure hope this will drastically improve the (horrific) food in the Schengen Lounge.
Though I have only visited in the early morning lately I have found the food offerings now to be improved at the schengen lounge. Still nothing superb but quite decent...
Especially compred to before
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AY+Plat
I haven't visited very recently the one in schengen area, have they replaced tuna salad with something ?

Originally Posted by lkrt
Umm... no? At least in all Fazer restaurants I've eaten at they've made (almost) everything on the spot from scratch.
I don't know if the lounge will receive cafeteria quality food or restaurant quality but in their cafeteria where I eat everyday nothing is made there except pizza. The quality depends on €€€. One cafeteria charges 5€ and the other nearby for the same company charges little less than 9€ and difference in quality is representative of price.

Last edited by lento; Apr 14, 2017 at 11:59 am
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:35 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by kauppias
Though I have only visited in the early morning lately I have found the food offerings now to be improved at the schengen lounge. Still nothing superb but quite decent...
Especially compred to before
Originally Posted by lento
I haven't visited very recently the one in schengen area, have they replaced tuna salad with something ?
I'd say that schengen offerings has improved at lest in one way - it isn't just salad anymore.

Here is the hoot food I got the other week. Now you tell me
a) can you guess what it is
and
b) does it look like a yummy quality meal
Attached Images  
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by intuition
I'd say that schengen offerings has improved at lest in one way - it isn't just salad anymore.

Here is the hoot food I got the other week. Now you tell me
a) can you guess what it is
and
b) does it look like a yummy quality meal
a) Probably Jansson's frestelse.

b) Doesn't look presentable at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.