Iberia wetlease to MIA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Iberia wetlease to MIA

AY is leasing more capacity for North Atlantic as of early January:

http://www.finnairgroup.com/mediaen/...l_2399097.html

EDIT: initially announced for January only, but there is a conditional sentence...
"The pilot trainings will continue during the spring of 2017 and may require Finnair to extend the period of the Iberia wet lease beyond the month of January."

Fairly new airplanes with 1-2-1 configuration in J.

Last edited by ff_flyer; Dec 9, 2016 at 2:43 am
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Will the IB A333 sit in HEL all the time or position back and forth?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Well, I'll get to fly IB from MIA to HEL then. According to seatguru, the seat I have picked (6A) seems okay on IB as well. I don't think there's any point in rerouting, but this sure starts to become annoying. Buy AY, get whatever. I wonder if there will be some compensation, like there is for J travellers who end up on HighFly.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by ffay005
... I wonder if there will be some compensation, like there is for J travellers who end up on HighFly.
I don't see any reason for that... While HiFly is obvisouly providing a sub-par product for the AY price, the IB A330 at least sounds like a solid alternative (3 years old bird). No personaly experience with IB so far, but it might even turn out to be a better option than AY's A330s.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Well, I'll get to fly IB from MIA to HEL then. According to seatguru, the seat I have picked (6A) seems okay on IB as well. I don't think there's any point in rerouting, but this sure starts to become annoying. Buy AY, get whatever. I wonder if there will be some compensation, like there is for J travellers who end up on HighFly.
Window seats on even rows (2,4 and 6) seem to offer more privacy while middle seats on odd rows are distinctively for honeymooners.

No compensation IMHO, the hard product is better than HiFly and actually very modern, updated J class.
Nada economy comfort available though.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:15 am

When looking at my reservation for January, it now shows Iberia for Finnair and A330-300. My seat remains unchanged, 6A (and MMB tells me it's "maksettu paikka" and doesn't let me change it even if I wanted to... Oh well, I'm happy with the seat, so it's not really a problem, but...

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
I don't see any reason for that... While HiFly is obvisouly providing a sub-par product for the AY price, the IB A330 at least sounds like a solid alternative (3 years old bird).
Me neither. While "buy AY, fly IB" is no pleasant surprise, the product isn't actually worse in this case.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by florens
Will the IB A333 sit in HEL all the time or position back and forth?
If it positions to MAD, it'll be interesting to see whether they will sell seats or if it's just a ferry flight.

With all the outsourcing they do, I have never understood why AY and IB won't agree on IB operating the MAD service. For AY, it means that one plane will fly only two segments in 24 hours, 14 of which it stays on the ground at MAD. Surely IB could fly the route more efficiently while giving AY the opportunity to fly 4–6 segments instead of 2.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:43 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
I don't see any reason for that... While HiFly is obvisouly providing a sub-par product for the AY price, the IB A330 at least sounds like a solid alternative (3 years old bird). No personaly experience with IB so far, but it might even turn out to be a better option than AY's A330s.
IB business class is quite nice.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

If it positions to MAD, it'll be interesting to see whether they will sell seats or if it's just a ferry flight.

With all the outsourcing they do, I have never understood why AY and IB won't agree on IB operating the MAD service. For AY, it means that one plane will fly only two segments in 24 hours, 14 of which it stays on the ground at MAD. Surely IB could fly the route more efficiently while giving AY the opportunity to fly 4–6 segments instead of 2.
Not positioning to MAD, airplane will stay on ground between MIA flights which means mostly 24 hours idle between flights. They would need 1-2 extra crews if they operated something else between MIA.
Cabin crew on MAD flights have been outsourced to Spain for ~3 years now and IB is selling codeshare HEL-MAD and the timing of current AY flights matches perfectly the Asian waves departing HEL at 17:00 and arriving back at 15:30. Hard to say if flying more segments is always feasible but I reckon AY has done the maths.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:04 am

The MIA IB lease continues until 1 May 2017 but from 1 Feb on, it'll be a damp lease with the CC from AY: press release
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
I have AY8 flight (F) in February. I have selected 4L for the overnight flight. Now my MMB has changed as IB for AY, A330-300, and the seat selection is the same 4L.

Do you have experience on the seat preference in IB 330, will it be the same as for AY 330? I have preferred 2/4/6A for day flights and 2/4/6L for overnight flights.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:25 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
More like AY 359 from the SeatGuru maps. 2/4/6A and 2/4/6L should be ok. Side-table between seat and aisle.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ukki
I have AY8 flight (F) in February. I have selected 4L for the overnight flight. Now my MMB has changed as IB for AY, A330-300, and the seat selection is the same 4L.

Do you have experience on the seat preference in IB 330, will it be the same as for AY 330? I have preferred 2/4/6A for day flights and 2/4/6L for overnight flights.
Check my post #5 upthread.
There is no difference between the legroom and seats on Iberia 4A and 4L as in AY A333. Your selection is just fine for a single traveller.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Check my post #5 upthread.
There is no difference between the legroom and seats on Iberia 4A and 4L as in AY A333. Your selection is just fine for a single traveller.

Thank you for the prompt response!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:05 pm

Does anyone know whether the IB plane used on the AY MIA route has wifi? If yes, is it complimentary and unlimited for J pax like on AY planes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.