Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points Accrual Calculator

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Last couple of times I went on separate tix - AY to HKG in the pointy end, CX/KA or BR in cattle class to TPE. Of course didn't dare to take as tight a connection as on one PNR, so it was a bit less convenient. Still, huge savings on the ticket price and more time in the F lounge.

This time however, even HKG was crazy expensive on AY, so CX it is via AMS & HKG. ITA priced it out nicely (1,6k€) C+PEY by searching for Premium Eco and a real life agent booked it
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:58 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
5 years ago a GOT-HKG-TPE in J was somewhere between 1800-1900€. And that was an "ordinary" fare.
Today, the cheapest GOT-TPE is 2785€. Taking the same flights but ending the flight in HKG is 1845€. So a whopping 940€ for the pleasure of crossing the strait in J on one AY-ticket.

While the HKG-TPE tickets indeed are that expensive, this indicates to me that AY booking engine is just tucking on a full price ticket on top of the AY fare, ie CX does not allow AY to access combined fares anymore.
A CX ticket FRA-HKG-TPE is 2-300€ more than a FRA-HKG.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
What about other OW airlines, say BA from Europe or AA from USA to TPE? Is it really just AY, or is it everything except CX/KA?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:46 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
A quick search says a CPH-LHR-HKG-TPE with BA/CX in J is 180€ more expensive than a CPH-LHR-HKG.
Not very scientific but it seems to be an AY thing.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum
One reason for the HKG connecting flight prices going up might be Finnair's "strategy" of delaying the AY69 flight to the morning when something fails in LH operations. It must be expensive to reroute everybody after those delays.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, OWE
I'm looking to take trip to LA, and I'm not in a dire need for tier points, and might want to use two upgrades, I'm checking the HEL-JFK-LAX-JFK-HEL route.

The points calculator gives a ton of points if I select AA as the airline for the JFK-LAX leg...could AA put out such an amount of points in Y?

AA: 3958 points

AY: 990 points

The AA points are the with all booking classes...except with D/J/I it's 4958 points...

Also the HEL-JFK leg if AA selected it gives a lot more points, but with AY 2000 points.

Is this just the system not working, or am I missing something?
Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
For the time being all AA tickets earn at least 100% to AY+, so I'd say the calculator is probably correct.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:23 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
The calculator seems to be missing the business campaign fares completely, at least I cannot get it to show anything other than 200% for any business fare. The business campaign fares earn 150% and are offered also on partner codeshare flights so it would be nice to have these in the calculator.

Also, word of warning, depending on the route even finnair.com won't show the 150% accrual before booking the ticket...it just says "Finnair Plus Points: YES" but not showing any percentage.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
What business campaign fares? AFAIK, revenue business class earns 200% on AY marketing codes always - even in promotional I fare.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
What business campaign fares? AFAIK, revenue business class earns 200% on AY marketing codes always - even in promotional I fare.
Nope, not anymore. Business Campaign, booking into I class, so same as Business Saver, earns 150%.
Attached Images  

Last edited by NoWindowSeat; Mar 29, 2017 at 9:37 am
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
The calculator seems to be missing the business campaign fares completely, at least I cannot get it to show anything other than 200% for any business fare. The business campaign fares earn 150% and are offered also on partner codeshare flights so it would be nice to have these in the calculator.

Also, word of warning, depending on the route even finnair.com won't show the 150% accrual before booking the ticket...it just says "Finnair Plus Points: YES" but not showing any percentage.
Where did you learn that? Business Campaign have to my understanding always accrued same 200% as other business fares. They also book into booking class I, which accrues full business class points. Or has something changed very recently? There is no any kind of update on accrual tables.
Attached Images    
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:38 am

I hope you guys are correct, I edited my post above with a screenshot (sorry, in Finnish..) how finnair.com shows the info. I think it is ridiculous if business fares earn only 50% more than value whY..I truly hope this is just a mistake on the info behind the booking engine..
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
I hope you guys are correct, I edited my post above with a screenshot (sorry, in Finnish..) how finnair.com shows the info. I think it is ridiculous if business fares earn only 50% more than value whY..I truly hope this is just a mistake on the info behind the booking engine..
I really hope it is a mistake, too, as 200% accrual for all business class fares is very important point in keeping the business with Finnair. If earning only 150%, point of choosing some other oneworld carrier will become very close.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:02 am

It is also very stupid that you can book saver for less than campaign on the same flights having more flexibility and earning more points..if that info is to be trusted....as was the case in the above example.

I hate everything about the AY booking engine..started to use more and more other ways for my bookings..I also hate when it offers Y segments as a part of J trip..just awful implementation and UI all the way..
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
It is also very stupid that you can book saver for less than campaign on the same flights having more flexibility and earning more points..if that info is to be trusted....as was the case in the above example.

I hate everything about the AY booking engine..started to use more and more other ways for my bookings..I also hate when it offers Y segments as a part of J trip..just awful implementation and UI all the way..
"I also hate when it offers Y segments as a part of J trip."

Did you check carefully in your example above if any of the sectors was booked into Y and no I bucket available?
Has happened to me and didn't notice it until trying to adjust seats, a phone call solved the problem.
That may explain the booking engine displaying 150%, incorrectly naturally. Or there is an unannounced change lurking behind the corner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.