Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for Lost Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Compensation for Lost Luggage

I had a trip on Finnair from the US to Croatia on May 12, with a layover in HEL. Unfortunately my luggage did not arrive with me in HEL. I was not well prepared for such turn of events, and had to buy some replacement clothing and personal items. Four days later I finally tracked down my lost bag. With no one answering the phones at the destination airport, I decided to drive back there in person, and found my luggage in the Lost & Found room. The attendant there acted very disappointed that I showed up to claim it.

After about a month worth of the claim process, Finnair agreed to reimburse me 70 EUR + half of the remaining expenses. They requested my bank account details, and were supposed to wire the compensation. Well, that was over a month ago, and nothing happened since then. I did send them reminders at least once a week. They responded to a few with some nonsense, then stopped communicating altogether.

Would anyone here know if there are any deadlines applicable to this process?
I would also appreciate any recommendations for my next steps, as the process with Finnair seems to have reached a dead end.
TIA.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

So not a single advice on where to turn to for help?
I also scanned messages on other resources on this subject with equally discouraging results. Apparently Finnair has a reputation for being a deadbeat in its home country too, and getting away with it due to the lack of effective small claim courts in Finland.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What do they say when you call?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
What do they say when you call?
That department does not have a voice number. Damage claims are handled on their website under "Feedback/Claims", including document submissions.

They played dumb for a bit (e.g. they'll inquire with their "Payment Department" etc). In the last 3+ weeks there have been no responses at all.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Those 3+ weeks fit nicely with Finnish summer vacations. Latest mid-August they should be back in business.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar
Those 3+ weeks fit nicely with Finnish summer vacations. Latest mid-August they should be back in business.
No kidding! Seems rather inappropriate to close shop in the middle of busy travel season. Also, if that's the situation but they had communicated with me clearly, I'd have no objections.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would still call. You don't need to speak with the department in question as the issue is already resolved. You have a customer service inquiry relating to payment. That is a finance matter and likely a different department.

So, call and simply state that you are missing an expected payment and wondered where it is.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
So, call and simply state that you are missing an expected payment and wondered where it is.
Ok, it was worth a try. But the friendly lady at Finnair CS said she has no access to such info, and not able to transfer me to the finance guys. Sent me back to the website "Feedback/Claim" function. She also chuckled and said "they're definitely not all on vacation" (meaning Finnair just figures it doesn't have to pay).

Perhaps there's an outside entity with some leverage over Finnair. Otherwise they're giving me pretty honest signals not to bother.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.