Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Hold my booking

I think I have not noticed this before:

https://www.finnair.com/fi/gb/hold-my-booking
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: AY LUMO
25€ holding fee for long haul flight. I have seen similar service as a free service. DY?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:28 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Since the fee is only applicable if you cancel - it is better viewed as a timed cancel-fee.

Today, if you are in the right jurisdictions, you can cancel within 24h without penalty. If you cancel after 24h you will pay according to the rules.

Tomorrow, if you use the "Hold my booking" feature, you will instead pay 25€ for cancel within 0-72 hours. If you cancel after 72h you will pay according to the rules.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by intuition
Tomorrow, if you use the "Hold my booking" feature, you will instead pay 25€ for cancel within 0-72 hours. If you cancel after 72h you will pay according to the rules.
I think according to the text in the link posted above that this is the wrong perspective.
The booking will be held for you for 72 hours – if you do not complete your booking within that time, it will expire automatically and the holding fee will be charged
So you don't cancel but you have to confirm your booking.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
OK, I didn't see they required confirmation. However this:
A holding fee ... will only be charged if you do not complete your purchase within the 72-hour time limit.
So there is no fee for holding the booking. There is only fee for cancelling, although that cancelling will occur automatically. In my eyes it is still an fee for extended cancellation rights, not for holding.

For instance, if I need to hold the ticket (ie defer the payment) for 3 days due to lack of credit, there will be no fee.

If I need to simply hold a booking because I am not sure about it, it will IMHO be better to purchase the ticket without the hold-function and invoke the 24h cancellation policy if needed.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Today, if you are in the right jurisdictions, you can cancel within 24h without penalty
I thought that AY offers 24h free cancellation regardless of Point of Sales or route.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:56 am
Moderator, Finnair

They might. I wasn't sure.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
They do, just cancelled on of my light tickets - accidentally bought TMP-HEL-LHR-HEL-TMP instead of the usual LHR-HEL-TMP-HEL-LHR tickets.

Wonder if this means 72+ hours for €15/25 (expires midnight after 72h) and then 24 hours free cancellation after that.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
My mom cancelled CDG-HEL-CDG within 24h window a few weeks back. Unless a certain other Nordic legacy airline, Finnair is not boasting free 24h cancellation in their advertisements, but they do allow it.

IIUC, it applies to all European carriers.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by aapee
Wonder if this means 72+ hours for €15/25 (expires midnight after 72h) and then 24 hours free cancellation after that.
I'd assume using the "hold booking" would void any 24h policy. But who knows.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by Courmisch

It does not. DY, for instance, has a 4h cancellation policy.

-- Added
They apparently have a second policy, too. If you claim you made a mistake (name spelling, booked wrong day, wrong destination et.c) you have a "cancel and rebook" right within 24h. I.e IF you book the correct ticket (a new one, at the current price) they will refund the non-refundable.

Last edited by intuition; Jun 29, 2016 at 12:51 pm
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
No! Try that at Vueling, Easyjet or Ryanair!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Ryanair doesn't refund, but they're actually very good if you want to make changes within the 24 hour period.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Now I read their mail and the 72h hold is not very lucrative.

Not valid for less than 21d until bookings. No special campaign fares. Etc...

However, this 72hold is not an enhancement after all since there was nothing before

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.