Community
Wiki Posts
Search

And Hifly is back again! (HEL-MIA)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
And Hifly is back again! (HEL-MIA)

I was just checking my reservation on AA's "my reservations" when I noticed that my MIA-HEL segment is now operated by Hifly 343...

And it sure is, here is the message from Finnair: https://www.finnair.com/us/gb/flightinfo

According to www, the flight is operated with Hifly A340-300, which sure has far from fancy business class seats based on the information on Hifly's website. Still, AY's website claims that business class has fully flat seats..

I'm traveling on AA J-award tickets, so now I'm wondering how it'll work if I want to get rebooked to other OW flights, do they treat award tickets as revenue tkts, or are they only trying to find award space on other airlines (which most likely will be impossible as it is the busiest season of the year)?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:20 pm
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
So AY seems to have a shortage of aircrafts, (DEL also cancelled between July 5th-10th.

9H-SUN has 24J/271Y and looks like lie-flat or angled-flat. CS-TFX and CS-TFW look a lot nicer, but they are A340-500 and AY informed that the plane type is A340-300.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Thanks for the warning!

Checked my MIA-HEL flight on July and the plane type had changed from 330-300 to 340-300. Called Finnair and got myself re-routed. Flying back with AA 777-300ER and then AY A350-900 from LHR. Can't wait to see the J cabin of the 300ER and compare it to the A350-900 right after that.

I asked the call center guy if he could book me on an AY codeshare on the AA flight because I want the AY+ points and after a little wait (maybe asking his manager?) he was able to do that. Kudos for Kajaani!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:36 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by HJP
So AY seems to have a shortage of aircrafts, (DEL also cancelled between July 5th-10th.
Capacity and metal is ok for July, there is something else behind this "operational" hassling.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Fix your *€%&# booking page, Finnair!

Originally Posted by Finnair.com
When you buy tickets through finnair.com, the operating airline is shown on the ‘Select Flights’ page.
No. It doesn't.

Because YOU chose to remove this information from the 'Select Flights' page and move it to an obscure click-to-pop window. Anyone who booked this, even after this announcement, I hope you bash them for not clearly displaying vital information.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 28, 2016, 12:51 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Angry

So on routes where there are direct codeshares and AY metal flights, like LHR or NRT, there's no way of knowing who operates (unless you know the schedule by heart) since there's not even a flight number visible at this step. How on earth have they succeeded in making such a bad booking engine? They've really gone out of their way in trying to get rid of as much information as possible.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:34 am

Programs: AY Platinum (oneworld Emerald), Bonvoy/Radisson/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
So on routes where there are direct codeshares and AY metal flights, like LHR or NRT, there's no way of knowing who operates (unless you know the schedule by heart) since there's not even a flight number visible at this step. How on earth have they succeeded in making such a bad booking engine? They've really gone out of their way in trying to get rid of as much information as possible.
It's only one click away, it clearly says "Click to open details". Of course it would be better not to have to click even once, but the info is available.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:51 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
The intended way to know is that there is a little icon displaying the tail fin of each operating carrier.
However, Finnair did not make icons for all operating airlines. This means that the only visual cue is flights were no icon is displaying - then you know it is a bad flight.

And of course, you can click on every option in the list to discover flight numbers and operators. But that is hiding vital information IMHO. The Finnair statement is false. The operating carrier is not shown. There is an option for savvy bookers to find it, but is isn't shown.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They are showing it in the GDS:

Code:
TN07JULMIAHEL                                                                   
** AMADEUS TIMETABLE - TN ** HEL HELSINKI.FI                   07JUL16 14JUL16  
 1AY:BA6098  147  MIA   HEL 2  2230    1530+1 0 09MAY16 27OCT16 333 10:00       
 2  *AY 008  147  MIA   HEL 2  2230    1530+1 0 07JUL16 15AUG16 343 10:00       
 3AA:AY4031  6    MIA   JFK 8  1400    1700   0 CONNECT JFK     757             
     AY 006  6    JFK 8 HEL 2  1740    0850+1 0 09JUL16 20AUG16 333 11:50       

>doay008/07jul
DOAY008/07JUL                                                                   
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO*              AY   8    9 TH 07JUL16                    
APT ARR   DY DEP   DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT   TTL                  
MIA          2230  TH JCDIYBHKMPT/HS      343        10:00                      
                      LVSNQOZRGWX/HS                                            
                      E/HS                                                      
HEL 1530  FR                                               10:00                

COMMENTS-                                                                       
 1.MIA HEL   - AIRCRAFT OWNER HI FLY TRANSPORTES AEREO                          
 2.MIA HEL   - OPERATED BY HI FLY FOR FINNAIR                                   
 3.MIA HEL   - MEMBER OF ONEWORLD                                               
 4.MIA HEL   - ARRIVES TERMINAL 2                                               
 5.MIA HEL   -   1/ MOVIE                                                       
 6.MIA HEL   -   2/ TELEPHONE                                                   
 7.MIA HEL   -   4/ AUDIO PROGRAMMING                                           
 8.MIA HEL   -   7/ DUTY FREE SALES                                             
 9.MIA HEL   -   9/ NON-SMOKING                                                 
10.MIA HEL   -  10/ SHORT FEATURE VIDEO                                         
11.MIA HEL   -  12/ IN-SEAT POWER SOURCE                                        
12.MIA HEL   -  15/ IN-SEAT VIDEO PLAYER/LIBRARY                                
13.MIA HEL   - SECURED FLIGHT                                                   
14.MIA HEL   -  ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE                                    
)>
Interesting is that BA hasn't updated their codeshare operator (and aircraft type) yet:

Code:
DOBA6098/07JUL                                                                  
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO*              BA6098    9 TH 07JUL16                    
APT ARR   DY DEP   DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT   TTL                  
MIA          2230  TH JCDRIYBHKML/HS      333        10:00                      
                      VNSOQG/HS                                                 
HEL 1530  FR                                               10:00                

COMMENTS-                                                                       
 1.MIA HEL   - COMMERCIAL DUPLICATE - OPERATED BY                               
               FINNAIR                                                          
 2.MIA HEL   - AIRCRAFT OWNER FINNAIR                                           
 3.MIA HEL   - OPERATIONAL LEG AY 0008                                          
 4.MIA HEL   - ARRIVES TERMINAL 2                                               
 5.MIA HEL   -   9/ NON-SMOKING                                                 
 6.MIA HEL   - SECURED FLIGHT                                                   
 7.MIA HEL   -  ET/ ELECTRONIC TKT CANDIDATE                                    
 8.MIA HEL   -  CO2/PAX* 517.72 KG ECO, 1,035.44 KG PRE                         
 (*):SOURCE:ICAO CARBON EMISSIONS CALCULATOR                                    

CONFIGURATION-                                                                  
               333  C 999   M 999                                               
>
As per EU directive 2111/2005 airlines have to disclose the operating carrier and owner of the aircraft, so its puzzling why AY doesn't take good care to display it in the web/online booking process.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:16 am

Disappointed with Finnair

I was booked in business HEL-MIA, and was disappointed to hear of the service substitution at such late notice. After a bit of online research, it is clearly a downgrade by Finnair. When you read that Thomas Cook Airlines travellers complaining about Hi Fly, even in their business class, you know you are not in for a good experience. No power outlets, minimal inflight entertainment, no advance meal reservations, unfriendly crew, etc. I've never experienced a situation where a full-service airline wet-leases what is clearly a sub-standard operator for a scheduled mainline route.

Having booked through AA, their systems are still not reflecting the change of operator, but luckily for me, AA was brilliant in providing alternate transport on a scheduled carrier.

When calling Finnair to find out details, the sales agents were polite and apologetic. They weren't however able to provide much background. One claimed they were advised on Monday that the service would be flown by HiFly for July into August.

What I don't get is that they did the replacement just one week before the HiFly service was to begin. You would think decisions like this take a lot more time to organize - contracts, crews, operations, etc. Could it be that Finnair made the decision much earlier, but left it till last minute in order not to deter people from booking the flights if they knew they would be flying on old planes with sub-standard service?

Regardless of the reason, this is poor customer care on Finnair's part. This was going to be my first trans-continental business class flight with Finnair, and I now realize that you can't book Finnair with confidence.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Originally Posted by MikeLonW7
I was booked in business HEL-MIA, and was disappointed to hear of the service substitution at such late notice. After a bit of online research, it is clearly a downgrade by Finnair. When you read that Thomas Cook Airlines travellers complaining about Hi Fly, even in their business class, you know you are not in for a good experience. No power outlets, minimal inflight entertainment, no advance meal reservations, unfriendly crew, etc. I've never experienced a situation where a full-service airline wet-leases what is clearly a sub-standard operator for a scheduled mainline route.
Very probably also this is caused by severely delayed deliveries of new A350s from Airbus, making them run out of planes. Obviously they should have received one more new plane in July, but just like all the previous ones, this one seems to be badly delayed as well. Don't know how early or late they get delay information from Airbus, but it seems that not very early. Of course it is very poor planning from Finnair side not to know by now that Airbus A350 delivery schedules are totally unreliable and they should have taken this into account. Very probably this is the reason also for cancelling all flights to Delhi for a short period in July.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Purjelentaja
Very probably also this is caused by severely delayed deliveries of new A350s from Airbus, making them run out of planes. Obviously they should have received one more new plane in July, but just like all the previous ones, this one seems to be badly delayed as well.
No, they are not running out of planes. And If LQC stays for a while, they have lot of capacity.

And delivery of LWG was not planned for July.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
No where is the J sale on this hifly plane if everyone is cancelling bring on the sale for some nice MR flights
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by kauppias
No where is the J sale on this hifly plane if everyone is cancelling bring on the sale for some nice MR flights
Wrong answer
no J sale expected, a majority of people who have booked this "LOL" (Light Business Concept) flight just do not care. It is just a business class flight as any other KBV, HKT or similar "LOL" segment. Tons of holidaymakers, families and similar non-FTer's who do not have a faintest idea what the carrier change will mean in this context.

Some seasoned FF's will surely change their schedule but AY can easily cover most of the losses by offering more or less pricey upgrades to ecomony class holidaymakers and sell even more economy seats.

EDIT: even though MIA flights are not supposed to be LOL flights anymore (since ~May ?) the clientele is more or less LOL during the peak of holiday season

Last edited by ff_flyer; Jun 29, 2016 at 3:56 pm
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by ff_flyer
Wrong answer
no J sale expected, a majority of people who have booked this "LOL" (Light Business Concept) flight just do not care. It is just a business class flight as any other KBV, HKT or similar "LOL" segment. Tons of holidaymakers, families and similar non-FTer's who do not have a faintest idea what the carrier change will mean in this context.

Some seasoned FF's will surely change their schedule but AY can easily cover most of the losses by offering more or less pricey upgrades to ecomony class holidaymakers and sell even more economy seats.

EDIT: even though MIA flights are not supposed to be LOL flights anymore (since ~May ?) the clientele is more or less LOL during the peak of holiday season

What a fitting name LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.