Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeeming Finnair AY+ points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:49 pm

The Finnair Plus rules state (section 4.2) that an award can be given "to a close relative or to a person belonging to the same household" – is there more specific information (or experience) as to who are considered "close relatives"?

In particular, I'm planning to upgrade my parents (close enough, I'd say?) on a flight I wouldn't be on myself – has anyone done this, would it be an easy thing to pull off?

Thanks for your help!

PS. Finally registered, after months of lurking :-)
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by jmmi
The Finnair Plus rules state (section 4.2) that an award can be given "to a close relative or to a person belonging to the same household" – is there more specific information (or experience) as to who are considered "close relatives"?

In particular, I'm planning to upgrade my parents (close enough, I'd say?) on a flight I wouldn't be on myself – has anyone done this, would it be an easy thing to pull off?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome jmmi, good to see you around!

"Close relative" in my experience is anyone so close that they would give you their PNR for you to upgrade For the specific question - I did upgrade parents several times, without any issue.

You can do it all online, just log in to your account first and go to "upgrade flights" in the Finnair Plus section. Plug in the PNR of your parents, click-click-click and they're set (of course, hoping there's availability - you can check that, too online)
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:04 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the FT and AY+ Forum!

I have upgraded colleagues etc. with no problems. Hey, I see them more than some members of my family, so...
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Welcome jmmi

I have been able to upgrade even someone not relative by simply asking. My understanding is that you can upgrade anyone from the street if there is space in cabin, even if the rules talk about relatives only. Never hurts to ask anyway
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:40 am

Wonderful, thanks for the info (and the warm welcome)!

Happy to hear the rule is interpreted this liberally. I have been struggling to figure out how to spend points – it suddenly got a lot easier...
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Wonderful, thanks for the info (and the warm welcome)!

Happy to hear the rule is interpreted this liberally. I have been struggling to figure out how to spend points – it suddenly got a lot easier...
Upgrading is indeed angreat way to spend points make friends etc without paying excess taxes and fees

Last edited by kauppias; Feb 2, 2016 at 2:15 pm Reason: I hate typos :)
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I m not sure if the question fits - but may be you can help. I want to book awards to Argentina or Chile - how to proceed? Call AY, send them an email? Is there any chance of getting such an award (C or F)? What would be the max. advance time?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:24 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
An outline for how to do it:
You first need to find availability yourself, then call AY to book.
Sign up with awardnexus (use FT handle to get free service) and follow their guide how to find routes and availability.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
Originally Posted by intuition
Sign up with awardnexus (use FT handle to get free service) and follow their guide how to find routes and availability.
I can t really use awardnexus, the search is too limited, and I m not allowed to do the better search. Is there any way to get around this? Im locked in with my FT handle.

Anyhow - even the limited search brings up plenty of results - Thank you.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Do a search from your BAEC account. To avoid YQ, consider AA or IB.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 4:41 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by intuition
That's easier of course, but AY+ will also check availability for you, if have dates and destinations in mind.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:39 pm

Hi all,

AY+ newbie here. I've got about 64k AY+ points sitting around which are about to expire, so looking to spend that stash wisely. Would appreciate your input:

1) If I upgrade an upcoming HEL-TYO leg for 50k points, can my cousin upgrade me on the other leg with his AY points? If the website shows upgrade availability for a flight, will the upgrade clear right away or is there a waitlist system in place regardless?

2) Can I use AY points to upgrade flights on other OW carriers?

3) Are there J award tix sweet spots? Dubai seems to be only 59k rtn?

Thanks again!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:09 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
1: Probably and yes . When tool says zero, then you can put request on waitlist. AY has tighten up the rules a bit but cousin can ask nicely and it might work
2: no

Last edited by intuition; Jan 13, 2017 at 11:31 pm
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Given that there is upgrade availability, the upgrade can be done online without having to contact customer service, no need for waitlisting either. The system immediately confirms the upgrade.

Dubai is a shorthaul destination, flown with an A321. Hardly a sweet spot with just a regular Euro-J (middle seat blocked) and a poor quality meal. The best value for points on the AY+ program is definitely in the upgrade possibilities.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:35 am

Thanks very much for all your quick replies. I hadn't realise the DXB service was operated on a SH plane, so thanks for that.

One final question: if I do decide to upgrade one of my upcoming LH legs, will I still earn AY+ points for the SH feeder and the original class of service on the LH leg?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.