Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Cancelling Finnair Plus membership and re-registering

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling Finnair Plus membership and re-registering

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by lento
You can open new account. I have two accounts for several years( with two different email addresses), one for collecting miles from personal flights and other for miles from business related flights as required by my workplace. From Finnair's point of view both are personal account.
Originally Posted by SPBanker
This. I am in the same boat. Or plane.
I hope this requirement does not widespread to many companies since it is just complication and dispersed the status points so that in fact you are losing status benefits which also benefit employer indirectly (points accrual from leisure/private flights).
Or do you mean AY calculates those two account's points into one in terms of status accrual?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:01 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I assume this is due to tax law. If employer pays for travel and lets you use the points, it is an taxable income. Some companies therefore demands that all points earned are company property. I have seen this travel policy in many companies, even thought it might be difficult to police.

Allowing two accounts makes status more difficult, but at least that means you get to own the points you earn on personal travel.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:20 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by FFlash
I hope this requirement does not widespread to many companies since it is just complication and dispersed the status points so that in fact you are losing status benefits which also benefit employer indirectly (points accrual from leisure/private flights).
Or do you mean AY calculates those two account's points into one in terms of status accrual?
No, they don't.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by intuition

Allowing two accounts makes status more difficult, but at least that means you get to own the points you earn on personal travel.
So easy it is when all trips and status is personal. Or what?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the move to the right place, Beckoa.

Finnair customer service adviced me to make a new account and then they would transfer my few thousand points from the current account to the new one in this case. Lifetime points couldn't be transferred but that's okay, because I didn't have a lot of them anyway. Now I have a new account and the old one was deleted, so everything is in order .

Thank you everyone for your answers! This is a great forum / community.

Purjelentaja, nice to know that also you have found it best to travel via Prague when travelling to Asia . Finnair has a double points campaign at the moment, so I will almost get a business class return tickets worth of points to Japan with just one trip.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by intuition
I assume this is due to tax law. If employer pays for travel and lets you use the points, it is an taxable income. Some companies therefore demands that all points earned are company property. I have seen this travel policy in many companies, even thought it might be difficult to police.

This has been tried many times and almost universally abandoned as a result of protests and the sheer difficulty of applying this properly.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:38 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
So easy it is when all trips and status is personal. Or what?
Hehe, yes we live under the perfect conditions!

But I meant if AY+ didn't allow 2 separate accounts then all points, personal or company earned, would go to the employer in those cases.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:55 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by LondonElite
This has been tried many times and almost universally abandoned as a result of protests and the sheer difficulty of applying this properly.
That may very well be true, but it certainly is taxable in Sweden. If you privately use points earned from travel paid by employer, you are obliged to report this. The employer are obliged to debit you income tax on the value of the perk and also pay employer taxes. The fact that people may not report the event doesn't mean tax law has been abandoned.

The risk of getting a remark in a tax audit is enough for most employers to add the restriction to your travel policy. Then, if employee fails to report personal usage of points, it is only the individual who committed the tax fraud and not the employer.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
As far as I rememeber, Vero took Nokia and a few other (then) large Finnish employers to court over the tax liability of loyalty programs. That initially resulted in a gas factory where the employee had to keep track of which points came from business and personal trips respectively, and convert spent points to taxable value.

I reckon it was overturned in appeal.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:31 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Courmisch
As far as I rememeber, Vero took Nokia and a few other (then) large Finnish employers to court over the tax liability of loyalty programs. That initially resulted in a gas factory where the employee had to keep track of which points came from business and personal trips respectively, and convert spent points to taxable value.

I reckon it was overturned in appeal.
Yes. In Finland it is not the employers' responsibility to track this, so everything is between the individual employee and tax authorities. I wonder how many people declare the points they use to authorities as taxable income? And what's their taxable value?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by SPBanker
I wonder how many people declare the points they use to authorities as taxable income? And what's their taxable value?
The guideline I was given (before the court appeal) consisted of comparing the list price of the equivalent product. For upgrade, list price of upgraded-to class ticket minus the cost of the upgraded-from class ticket. Gas factory, I told you.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:01 am

I don't bother about tax. As company Y-policy I upgrade all my long-hauls and use more points that way than I have earned from company-paid tix. I rack tons of more points through credit card and own longhaul (business, sure) tickets and promos. There is nothing left over for Vero.

BTW I would not have Plat card without my own things, at most I would say Silver. So, our company is saving quite bit on various costs that would incur in my travels if I didn't get them for free with status. Maybe company should credit me back something
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by FFlash
I don't bother about tax. As company Y-policy I upgrade all my long-hauls and use more points that way than I have earned from company-paid tix. I rack tons of more points through credit card and own longhaul (business, sure) tickets and promos. There is nothing left over for Vero.

BTW I would not have Plat card without my own things, at most I would say Silver. So, our company is saving quite bit on various costs that would incur in my travels if I didn't get them for free with status. Maybe company should credit me back something
If you upgrade your business related flights then perfect. If you happen to upgrade your personal trips using company miles, then there is something for vero.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by lento
If you upgrade your business related flights then perfect. If you happen to upgrade your personal trips using company miles, then there is something for vero.
Yeah. I rack barely 50k points on cheapo-Y company tickets so I barely get 1 longhaul upgrade per year, at most. In turn, I rack up some 200k points out of my own pocket through careful planning of own trips to maximize. After all, I am sure I have used all of company points and some of my own for business travel, so it should be clean.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:31 am

Welcome to FT, Pako Arjesta. As you can see, we´re a fun bunch. About the only place where you don´t get laughed at when telling you´re starting your trip with an extra HEL-PRG-HEL. You definitely should come to one of our meetings to hear intresting stories. What happens in FT DOs/meets, stays in...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.