Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Flight overbooked - chances of being kicked off?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight overbooked - chances of being kicked off?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 1:47 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Generally speaking, if they're looking for volunteers, it's kinda "free for all" game. If next days flight is also very well booked, they might put you on an alternative carrier, otherwise they'll prefer their own metall. And whoever they choose, that will depend on what you're asking.. the less, the better your chance
In my experience, when they have called for volunteers at the airport, signs and leaflets have all said they are looking for people "who can postpone their trip to another day". Indicating 'own metal' is not just a preferred alternative.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
"NOTE: Are your travel plans flexible? This flight is overbooked and therefore we are looking for volunteers to change flight if needed. You can volunteer in the online check-in"
It seems to be that the AY system is pushing out that message, as soon as occupancy hits 90%.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition
In my experience, when they have called for volunteers at the airport, signs and leaflets have all said they are looking for people "who can postpone their trip to another day". Indicating 'own metal' is not just a preferred alternative.
Sounds that way to me too. But if they aren't going to throw in a hotel in the deal, then who in their clientele would be attracted by such an offer? €300 and sleep at the airport or go through the hassle of a last minute hotel booking with no wi-fi?

Anyway, I'm starting to think I won't volunteer even if they had overbooked J. But I'll ask at the check-in counter tomorrow just to get to know whether the message they sent was in error or not.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
It seems to be that the AY system is pushing out that message, as soon as occupancy hits 90%.
I wouldn't think so. On my Euro-legs, the planes tend to be filled to the brim, especially in Y. J might have some empty seats, like 1–3. But it's very seldom that I get the overbooked message.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by intuition
I've seen both - yes, more often than not they'll try to accomodate you on their own planes.

But if they're desperate for volunteers - especially on flights not being daily - they'll offer more.

For an airline, anything is better than having to IDB pax.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 5:54 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
... But if they aren't going to throw in a hotel in the deal, then who in their clientele would be attracted by such an offer? ...
I assume they are looking for people who can go home overnight. I've watched the process in CKG. The amount is just about the same that the travellers paid in the first place, so I assume it is attractive for locals if you have flexible plans.
One guy at CKG volunteered and was rebooked 2 days later. He had won his ticket in a local Finnair sweepstakes, so in reality he not only flew for free but he got paid to fly for free.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
I wouldn't think so. On my Euro-legs, the planes tend to be filled to the brim, especially in Y. J might have some empty seats, like 1–3. But it's very seldom that I get the overbooked message.
For my weekly route which is HEL-BMA and back I get a notice in my app at check-in almost every second week. I would make a nice extra every month accepting a later flight the same night from BMA or ARN. They usually offer 250 so I could earn anywhere between 250-750 EUR/month. Don't know if it' cash though.

For other short-haul flights I get a note every few months, and points upgrade deals by SMS as well.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:51 pm

Sitting at one of the smallest lounges I've ever seen, namely Louis Tavern at the F-gates (BKK). Check in agent verified that only Y is overbooked. Now I only wonder why AY sent me an email with false information...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:27 am
Moderator, Finnair

Sitting at one of the smallest lounges I've ever seen, namely Louis Tavern at the F-gates (BKK). Check in agent verified that only Y is overbooked. Now I only wonder why AY sent me an email with false information...
So that when you board, and the J cabin is full of NSFUs ('Not Suitable For Upgrade') you will know why the service is slow and the ambience is aurinkomatkat-like.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
They want you to get paranoid and ignore the fact that they sell OLCI upgrades for few hundred euros.
If you are on J, I'm pretty sure you can use the much better CX lounge. There are several Louis Tavern lounges and all of them are mediocre at best.

Intra-Euro hardly seen J full at all but that's another story in Y. Finnish Sardines is all that I can say.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
They want you to get paranoid and ignore the fact that they sell OLCI upgrades for few hundred euros.
If you are on J, I'm pretty sure you can use the much better CX lounge. There are several Louis Tavern lounges and all of them are mediocre at best.
Last time in BKK I was told to use the CX lounge (instead of the usual Louis Tavern) I normally use either the CX or the QF in BKK, but that's because of OW status. Plain J pax go whoever AY has contract with, I think.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 3:38 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Last time in BKK I was told to use the CX lounge (instead of the usual Louis Tavern) I normally use either the CX or the QF in BKK, but that's because of OW status. Plain J pax go whoever AY has contract with, I think.
Did you mean the JL lounge? I've not seen a QF lounge there and oneworld.com confirms that.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by remymartin
Did you mean the JL lounge? I've not seen a QF lounge there and oneworld.com confirms that.
QF lounge was closed some time ago.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:34 am

Yeah, I'm AY Silver and flew in J, so Louis Tavern it was for me. Didn't mind, though. The lounge was not crowded and they served a basic breakfast. I'm gonna get Gold in September and with the Gold card, I'd be sure to try out other lounges.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Yeah, I'm AY Silver and flew in J, so Louis Tavern it was for me. Didn't mind, though. The lounge was not crowded and they served a basic breakfast. I'm gonna get Gold in September and with the Gold card, I'd be sure to try out other lounges.
If you are flying J, CX will let you in. Not sure about JL, but CX will.
The CX noodle bar beats Louis Tavern any day. Still miss the old BA and QF lounges at BKK, good things don't last
If you fly QF, give a shot at the EK lounge. I find them very good too.

But then Louis Tavern is still better than Admirals Club or other US lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.