Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

When will AY install 10 seats abreast on A350?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels

The cabin of the A350 is slightly wider than on its competitors. Whereas Airbus suggests a comfortable-sounding 9-abreast Y seating, 10-abreast is very much possible on this plane.

At this introductory stage, AY offers 9-abreast Y seating with seats that are a bit wider than what we are used to.

However, in my opinion, it's just a matter of time when AY introduces more narrow seats and ten-abreast, perhaps "due to requests from our customers".

What do you think? Will they move to 10-abreast seating and if so, when will this happen?

My guess is that maybe the first five birds come with 9-abreast and the sixth has 10-abreast. They would then, at some stage, change the interior of the first planes, too.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
My initial thought - no way!

Finnair already has the second most dense configuration of all so far announced . C46 Y251, making the plane on par with the largest plane they've ever flown currently fly. 10 abreast in econ would mean 324-325 seats in total.

From a layman's perspective they ought to remove J-minicabin if they permanently need more Y space.

But who knows. Maybe the average-Korhonen looking for 60€ flights to BKK will dominate the market. Emirates will soon deploy their 605 seater A380 on CPH-route, so apparently people wants longhaul travel to be like busrides.

Last edited by intuition; Oct 7, 2015 at 1:19 pm Reason: baaad choice of words!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
The paid for / complimentary for elites Main Cabin Extra on AA's new config 777-200 is 10 abreast. It looks like that atrocious configuration is spreading! It may well be, we will see more stingy configurations also on AY.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by intuition
C46 Y251, making the plane on par with the largest plane they've ever flown. 10 abreast in econ would mean 324-325 seats in total.
The Great and Beautiful MD-11 had 403 seats while flying as a charter version.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: AY Gold
.. making the plane on par with the largest plane they've ever flown.
Still a long way to go to their 407-seat charter version MD-11 in 1990's
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:15 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I meant Airbus fleet...

They usually do not fill the 297 seat A330.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

The MD-11 had 9-abreast seating in the first Y cabin and 10-abreast from row 41 onwards.

One more guess: 9-abreast in Y+ and 10-abreast in Y. This way they wouldn't have to discard the seats that come with the first planes...

Am I being too pessimistic here?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

My initial thought - no way!
But then again – why would they offer anything above the very bare minimum?

When all the oohs and aahs have quieted down, the average Y passenger won't even notice – let alone the press.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:20 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Well, since they do have the tightest J cabin of all (10 J seats more than QR has in the same space) I guess I would feel comparatively better if they stuffed econ pax into 16" wide, 16" pitch ...

But seriously, AY has not chosen the LCC way, they try to compete on different quality factors. Because they know they cannot win on price alone.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Well, since they do have the tightest J cabin of all (10 J seats more than QR has in the same space) I guess I would feel comparatively better if they stuffed econ pax into 16" wide, 16" pitch ...

But seriously, AY has not chosen the LCC way, they try to compete on different quality factors. Because they know they cannot win on price alone.
They havent go e the LCC way? Thats exatly what I thought they were doing with the buy on board menu, light fares without luggage etc
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:32 am
Moderator, Finnair

Perhaps you are familiar with the swedish saying "there are gradations in hell"? You can always ask Remymartin how he feels about SK and if AY has gone LCC in comparison! :-D
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:45 am
odo

Originally Posted by ffay005
Am I being too pessimistic here?
I would say yes.

10-abreast A350 would be roughly same as 9-abreast A330/A340 and we haven't seen those either.

A350 is designed for the 9-abreast layout and 10-abreast is really tough squeeze. I would be surprised if anyone else besides AirAsiaX got the 10-abreast seating on their A350's.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Odo is right. The A350 is not in the same situation as the 787. The A350's standard config is pleasant, but not *too* pleasant.

Cramming in an extra seat is much more tempting on the 787. And we are very lucky the one quality conscious operator is the one that flies to Helsinki
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Finnair Plus Gold(OWS), IHG Gold(Plat Ambassador soon maybe), Accor Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I'm all in for it if we get 60e Bangkok trips lol.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: AY, LH, KL, SK, D8, Marriott, Melia.
AY A350 J doesn´t look inviting. I´m comparing to CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.