Community
Wiki Posts
Search

finnair nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

finnair nightmare

I flew with Finnair into Bangkok last month. When I initially got onto the plain I thought I was back in the 80's. The decor was dated, of poor quality and seriously lacked what most other airlines offer. The entertainment set was not entertaining. There was about a handfull of options to watch (not fun for a 12 hour flight) and the actual set it self was so bad you could hardly see the picture, the touch screen did not work properly or the remote. And I was not the " unlucky one" as many other on the flight had the same issue.

Once your on- you dont have much choice so off I went to Bangkok. Upon arrival I was waiting and waiting for my bag- to be told it is not coming and I can get it tomorrow from the airport! It wasnt until I was about to leave that the customer service worker provided me with a 70euro cash passport card. With this my reaction was ' ok- not so bad, good compensation- have taken responsibility for thier mistake. WRONG.

The following day I flew to Laos- with my bag only to put my card in an ATM machine and to be told ' insufficient funds' - about 4 times. I tried another machine and another - same message. I messaged Finnair via facebook - 2 days later a response. Initially they tried to be helpful in stating to try different things, then they informed me that their records show I have withdrawn the funds already.

I did not as the ATM would not let me. All in all there have been over 30 emails with zero compensation. Some of the worst customer service I have received- One email the employee told me ' theres nothing more I can say'. Another told me there is no option to discuss issues like these over the phone as they do not have a number for complaints.

Overall- with this link -http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/Finnair and many other alike affirm the reasonS why not to fly with this terrible company. I will NEVER fly Finnair again AND INTEND TO SHARE THIS EMAIL WITH ASMANY WEBSITES AND PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE. With the quality of service and the condition of theirplanes I would think that any one would have to be desperate to use Finnair.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finna...complaint.html

https://www.facebook.com/finnairsuom...29783120392812

How to complain about Finnair customer service

Resolver is a completely free complaint-resolution tool that puts the British consumer directly in touch with the customer service providers who can resolve their complaint.
By providing you with all the tools and contact details needed to raise and manage your complaint, we put you firmly in control of your issue.
Using resolver you can:

•Keep all your correspondence in one place
•Go straight to the correct contact point within an organisation
•Make use of a series of simple templates to help make raising your complaint as simple and quick as possible
•Receive reminders when you get a response from a company or organisation
•Get an automatic notification when it's appropriate to escalate your case to the next management level within a company
•Package up and send off the whole history of your complaint to an ombudsman or other regulatory body if necessary

BY SEARCHING IN GOOGLE : Finnair Complaints you are able to see the amount of unhappy consumers there really are!

To date (2.10.15)- I have not had a reply from Finnair after emailing them ona daily basis for 6 days. IF YOU FLY WITH THIS AIRLINE AND ANYTHING GOES WRONG BE PREPARED FOR THIS KIND OF CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 2, 2015 at 1:04 am Reason: Remove names of airline employees per rule 21
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Please remove employee names, your bad experience is certainly NOT THEIR FAULT!

While AY has very SLOW customer complain response, I have personally felt they allways take complaints seriously and do take action. I am not a AY fan but do find them adequate for transport��

As for the bkk planes they are old leased AF birds with no future, and their age is showing... I was just on them a few weeks ago.

Last edited by kauppias; Oct 1, 2015 at 11:02 pm
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: AY Gold
Don't worry, the old ex-AF planes will soon be replaced by shiny new A350s The first one for BKK is expected to fly by Christmas.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Of course it was LQF or LQG, but joking aside, how many people during these years must have been thinking exactly this without posting here?

I hope the person who approved the decision to not refurbish them reads this forum. You should be ashamed of yourself. The cost to benefit ratio of this cost saving measure is the most atrocious I have seen in a long time.

For years, Finnair has had two utterly sub par aircraft flying around. When frequent flyers end up on them, they feel insulted. When non-frequent flyers end up on them, they think Finnair is terrible. The regulars will avoid flying Finnair on certain routes, and the newbies will start avoiding Finnair altogether. And they will say this to their friends:

I will NEVER fly Finnair again AND INTEND TO SHARE
There's also the matter of good first impressions. If someone likes you, they're much more likely to forgive or even ignore your mistakes. Do you think this customer would be this bothered by delayed luggage if they'd had a good flight? Unlikely.

I refuse to believe that the cost of new seats for two temporary aircraft exceeded the revenue you have lost and will continue to lose. The most exciting thing to me about the A350 is that OH-LQF and OH-LQG will leave the fleet this winter.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by heatsink
I refuse to believe that the cost of new seats for two temporary aircraft exceeded the revenue you have lost and will continue to lose. The most exciting thing to me about the A350 is that OH-LQF and OH-LQG will leave the fleet this winter.
Basic arithmetics

A single business class seat in an airplane can cost somewhere between $30,000 and $80,000, according to a New York Times report.

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-bus...00-2013-8?IR=T

Let's say 50 seats per plane, 100 seats for the pair, for argument's sake at $50k a pop - 5 mills spent on two old birds with only a few years left on them. The BKK route is mainly a leisure route, too.

Potential business lost - possibly some, probably negligable lost profit vs the $5m outlay.

I do HEL-BKK twice a year. Would I like the new seats? Absolutely. Would I go via FRA or ZRH for better ones? Probably no (some time ago I did, now getting too lazy for that)
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
5 mills spent on two old birds with only a few years left on them. The BKK route is mainly a leisure route, too.

Potential business lost - possibly some, probably negligable lost profit vs the $5m outlay.
But those old birds are used on SIN -route too and SIN is old birds -only.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
So to sum up the nightmare was just about an older plane and the luggage being delayed by 1 day?
Quite many people have each day this kind of nightmare. What would you have called your experience if you would have had to fly to Laos without your luggage?

And this compensation which did not work?
If I were AY I would conclude that as a rule nothing can be handed out at all at the local site.

And concerning the speed of Finnair's customer support: yes, that can be painfully slow.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:31 am

Let's say 50 seats per plane, 100 seats for the pair, for argument's sake at $50k a pop - 5 mills spent on two old birds with only a few years left on them. The BKK route is mainly a leisure route, too.

The business seats aren't as bad as the economy seats. They could have gotten away with replacing only the economy cabin. I have no idea what an economy class seat costs, though.

We also have to account for the opportunity to reuse the seats as spares afterwards. The A330's are staying in the fleet. (Obviously you don't need two aircraft's worth of seats, but...)

And you're underestimating the time they were used for. IIRC, OH-LQF joined the fleet in late 2010. Losing just 10 sales per month at an average price of 1000e adds up to over 600 000 euros during 2011-2015.

Last edited by heatsink; Oct 2, 2015 at 8:36 am
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:03 am
Suspended

The business seats aren't as bad as the economy seats. They could have gotten away with replacing only the economy cabin. I have no idea what an economy class seat costs, though.

We also have to account for the opportunity to reuse the seats as spares afterwards. The A330's are staying in the fleet. (Obviously you don't need two aircraft's worth of seats, but...)

And you're underestimating the time they were used for. IIRC, OH-LQF joined the fleet in late 2010. Losing just 10 sales per month at an average price of 1000e adds up to over 600 000 euros during 2011-2015.
As opposed to what? Not buying any airplanes and losing 200+ seats? Or buying a new airplane for a lot more? Either one of those options adds up to a lot more than 600k.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards

The usual complaints are about the C seats. (of course the Y seats are worse, even a new Y seat is worse than an old C seat)

You calculate 600k € lost revenue. For argument's sake let's accept that - how much lost profit does it translate to? I'm no expert, but let's be very generous and take a 20% profit margin. A total of 120k extra profit on a 500k investment over 5 years? Try to sell the project to your boss

Don't forget, that has been a period of serious cost cutting.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I do HEL-BKK twice a year. Would I like the new seats? Absolutely. Would I go via FRA or ZRH for better ones? Probably no (some time ago I did, now getting too lazy for that)
I will fly BKK-HEL in J in January. The options were an early morning departure on A350 and an 11 am departure on A340. I chose the latter so I can sleep a couple of hours more... The A340 is not THAT bad, and I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunites to try the A350 later.

While I do agree that age shows and that the old A340 birds are disappointing, I would like to remind our European friends that you get what you pay for. AY is usually among the cheapest options from Europe to Asia. If you pay for a Lada, you can't expect a Lamborghini.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by katy131
To date (2.10.15)- I have not had a reply from Finnair after emailing them ona daily basis for 6 days. IF YOU FLY WITH THIS AIRLINE AND ANYTHING GOES WRONG BE PREPARED FOR THIS KIND OF CUSTOMER SERVICE!
You aren't exactly doing your case anything good by spamming their inbox. Just wait for their reply in patience. It might get two months to get and, if you aren't a frequent flyer, will most likely be a set-reply apology with no compensation offered.

I wonder what happened with the card you got. It would probably have been a better idea to spend it at shops instead of using an ATM. I very seldom check in luggage, and then only on the inbound after doing too much shopping, so every time my bags get lost they just bring them home the next day or so, no compensation.

To make something useful out of the rant, have many ppl here got such cards? What kind of amounts? Have you had problems using them?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:07 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by ffay005
To make something useful out of the rant, have many ppl here got such cards? What kind of amounts? Have you had problems using them?
I got one of these cards from AY as part of a compensation package when in May the first leg of my trip to SFO (HEL-LHR) was overbooked and they've re-routed me via JFK. Had 400€ on it and used it only after I've returned to HEL (~2 weeks later). Could withdraw the full amount without any problem.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:34 am

Don't forget, that has been a period of serious cost cutting.
I agree that this is probably the reason.

You calculate 600k € lost revenue. For argument's sake let's accept that
Actually, the 10 customers per month was just an example to show how quickly it adds up. I'd argue it's higher, though. I've heard people complain about it outside this forum, and that's pretty rare.

Not all of the complainers will book something else, of course, but the numbers we're talking about are really low compared to the total number of customers, so it's not unrealistic.

how much lost profit does it translate to? I'm no expert, but let's be very generous and take a 20% profit margin. A total of 120k extra profit on a 500k investment over 5 years? Try to sell the project to your boss
It's hard to talk about profit, because when you start adding people to an almost full aircraft, expenses aren't going to go up much. I have no idea how to calculate this. It probably won't make a huge difference, though. Any errors we make in estimating the average price of a sale are likely to be more significant. I might be off by hundreds of euros using 1000e as my example.

Really, it comes down mostly to what an economy class seat costs. I admit I don't have an answer for that, unfortunately.

Last edited by heatsink; Oct 3, 2015 at 1:52 am
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by mpkz
As opposed to what? Not buying any airplanes and losing 200+ seats? Or buying a new airplane for a lot more? Either one of those options adds up to a lot more than 600k.
Eh? Obviously we are talking about the cost of replacing the seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.