Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Positioning flight alternatives for AY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Positioning flight alternatives for AY

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
The FAs are quite unfazed - I make a point upon exiting the first flight to tell them with a smile/wink "I'm coming back with you, don't leave without me". They might say something along the lines "you didn't spend to much time here" to which you can answer as you like.
But I am on the other side of the curtain now...? Except I will probably have fooled them with my Finnish, only to fail to grasp their slangi joke
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Courmisch
But I am on the other side of the curtain now...? Except I will probably have fooled them with my Finnish, only to fail to grasp their slangi joke
Been there, done that in both versions - out in the front, back in the back or out in the back, back in the front

(once they took me for a courier - so it means that it still exists! I thought it was a 70-80's thing)
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Hello

I am located in Helsinki. If I take ARN-BKK-ARN finnair flight which stops in HEL in both direction, am I allowed to discontinue my journey in HEL while returning ?
If yes, do they let me get my bags in HEL ?
Thanks.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:34 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
If by "discontinue" you mean dropping out of your trip, never to take the last HEL-ARN segment, it is not allowed. Technically, the airline can claim you stated false information at the time of purchase and demand you paid the price for the trip you actually flew.

Having that said, there are many reasonable excuses for doing so and in practice I haven't heard anyone (in the nordics) being persued by the airline.

You can always book the trip with a long layover in HEL. Then fly the remaing HEL-ARN for say a weekend trip, and return to HEL on a one way ticket with the airline of your choice.

If you have a ticket with long layover in HEL it is much esaier to get your bags checked only to HEL. Shortchecking on a ticket withou layover may not be allowed. I tried once and was denied.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by intuition
If by "discontinue" you mean dropping out of your trip, never to take the last HEL-ARN segment, it is not allowed. Technically, the airline can claim you stated false information at the time of purchase and demand you paid the price for the trip you actually flew.

Having that said, there are many reasonable excuses for doing so and in practice I haven't heard anyone (in the nordics) being persued by the airline.

You can always book the trip with a long layover in HEL. Then fly the remaing HEL-ARN for say a weekend trip, and return to HEL on a one way ticket with the airline of your choice.

If you have a ticket with long layover in HEL it is much esaier to get your bags checked only to HEL. Shortchecking on a ticket withou layover may not be allowed. I tried once and was denied.
Yes the intention is never to take the last leg. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:41 am

Find an option where the last HEL-STO segment is scheduled the day after BKK-HEL: any flight to ARN or BMA within 24 hours should be possible. Then it is easy to convince the check-in staff that you need your bag in HEL "for the night".
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: AY LUMO
FTer flies all segments.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:58 am

On Basic tickets, you can only have a stop-over in HEL in one direction IIRC. So flying all segments may be challenging.

Not an issue in J, but then booking 2 stop-overs is incredibly difficult in my experience: Finnair.com refuses to do so outright. Expedia fails to find the Finnair options (even if asked to). eBookers is hit-and-miss.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:34 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might want to run it through a spell-checker, before actually printing it
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Courmisch
On Basic tickets, you can only have a stop-over in HEL in one direction IIRC. So flying all segments may be challenging.
Not really - take the outbound as a turnaround in ARN and have the stopover on the way back in HEL.

And yes, all segments should be flown - segments and points should not be wasted. With a bit of planning the last segment can be the positioning flight for the next l/h.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:50 am
Moderator, Finnair

You might want to run it through a spell-checker, before actually printing it
I hope you weren't thinking of these

instead of
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...on/english/fly
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:25 pm

Not really - take the outbound as a turnaround in ARN and have the stopover on the way back in HEL.
Not everybody can afford to make the turn-around flights just before the "real" journey. In Business, you can make two stop-overs (but they are challenging to book). I think in Basic, you cannot.

That said, you should always book Y flights to continental Asia in Value anyway. Not sure how it goes then.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to praise the merits of AY ex-EUR

EUR-HEL-HKG-TPE/HKG-HEL-EUR in C snatched for ₤1495 (2100€ or so) whereas starting in HEL Y (!) sells for 2500€ (eco-saver out, value in) Stopovers of several months in HEL included.

From the same starting point BKK is sub-1500€ in C.

These don't seem to be any campaign fares but normal I fares and same plane turnarounds are easy, if one wants that.

Daisy chain these and no need for separate positioning flights.

(regulars of this topic would know my favourtie ex-EUR stations )
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
PRG perhaps?

I have been looking at options to fly ex-EUR to PVG next spring to get to taste A350 J (won't have possibility for that earlier) and the fares ex-PRG are really tempting, around 1420 € r/t at the moment. Positioning flights from GVA are also not a problem, thanks to Swiss' competitive pricing (98 EUR r/t).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.