Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

New to Finnair + Taking new AY10 ORD to HEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT SPG Gold

Hi guys! I am taking an AA award flight and have a segment on Finnair and see that it is on a new route from ORD to HEL. Does anyone know if this will get the new Airbus 350 or will it still be the 320?

Anything I should expect or do in HEL?

Trip is:

DFW> AUS > ORD > HEL > AMS in J

Stops in Paris and Brussels. (Is Brussels worth it or should we use the time in Paris?)

BCN > DUS > JFK > DFW in Y
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:57 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It will be A330s flying this route.

AY's first 3 A350s are scheduled to arrive in second half of 2015. Mind you, QR is launch customer and they have not yet announced when and where they will fly A350. It has not yet been delivered. Airbus are to deliver 8 A350s to QR, then 4 to VN and first then is AY in line.

At some point, I'm sure the North American routes will see AY A350, but I doubt it will be in 2015. But no one knows.

As for destination tips, you need to be a bit more specific. I'm pretty sure one can find good things to do in all of them, so it depends on what your expectaions are.
Perhaps also take a browse in the Destinations forum?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...ng-turkey-702/
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
It is A330 from Chicago to Helsinki and from Helsinki to Amsterdam A320 series or Embraer E90.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
It will be A330s flying this route.

AY's first 3 A350s are scheduled to arrive in second half of 2015. Mind you, QR is launch customer and they have not yet announced when and where they will fly A350. It has not yet been delivered. Airbus are to deliver 8 A350s to QR, then 4 to VN and first then is AY in line.

At some point, I'm sure the North American routes will see AY A350, but I doubt it will be in 2015. But no one knows.

As for destination tips, you need to be a bit more specific. I'm pretty sure one can find good things to do in all of them, so it depends on what your expectaions are.
Perhaps also take a browse in the Destinations forum?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...ng-turkey-702/

Awwww I was hoping for some new A350s since I am leaving Oct 8th (almost year from now!)

As far as destination tips, I just meant flying on Finnair and the stop over in HEL. Not sure if any hidden gems or must dos from some of the more seasoned FTers.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:41 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
In Y or J?
AA plat will allow you to select seats free of charge, so if Y make use of that and get seated in Economy comfort, similar to your main cabin extra.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition
In Y or J?
AA plat will allow you to select seats free of charge, so if Y make use of that and get seated in Economy comfort, similar to your main cabin extra.
We are J for ORD > HEL > AMS

I heard the J on the HEL > AMS will be pretty bad as it is not a real J
Old Nov 24, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by flybytech

Seats aren't that nice (just regular seats with blocked middle seat) when travelling within EU but meals are nicer than on similar AA domestic flight in F.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:20 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by flybytech

It all depends on your definition of "real J". You'll get hot meal service with drinks of choice on designer China/glassware. But sure, 6 abreast on a narrowbody is what it is, even with middle seat blocked.

As far as "real J" goes in Europe, it is true some airlines have downgraded the service radically or even abolished J altogether but AY isn't one of those.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:47 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by miikkak
Seats aren't that nice (just regular seats with blocked middle seat) when travelling within EU but meals are nicer than on similar AA domestic flight in F.
What..? Are you seriously saying that you think AY meals in short haul J are better in AA dom. First?

AA has got meal windows so offerings are slimmer outside those but when the flight is within the window the lunch/dinner offerings are way above anything served on short haul J on any carrier in Europe. Some dom. F AA dinners are actually better than AY long haul ones..just to get the facts in order.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
What..? Are you seriously saying that you think AY meals in short haul J are better in AA dom. First?
I would probably agree with the above most of the time. We did JNB-LHR-HEL recently and I can say that AY's short-haul J meals were better than BA's long-haul J.

My current favourite would be QF long-haul J, something different and focus on quality, not quantity. They tend to have great staff as well and the breakfast in chinese takeaway-style boxes is great idea. Way better than your traditional omelette.

CX J is good in quality but they are traditional.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver

AA has got meal windows so offerings are slimmer outside those but when the flight is within the window the lunch/dinner offerings are way above anything served on short haul J on any carrier in Europe. Some dom. F AA dinners are actually better than AY long haul ones..just to get the facts in order.
AA might have better meals on longer flights but HEL-AMS is less than 900 nautical miles. According to AA.com on flights less than 900 nm they serve warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches. Fresh fruit is served on most flights. Have I missed something?

Of course it's personal opinion whether real meal or sandwich with nuts is nicer...
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:22 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by miikkak
AA might have better meals on longer flights but HEL-AMS is less than 900 nautical miles. According to AA.com on flights less than 900 nm they serve warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches. Fresh fruit is served on most flights. Have I missed something?

Of course it's personal opinion whether real meal or sandwich with nuts is nicer...
Ok, understand, so this was a question about the meal windows. Can I ask how many times have you been on AA dom. First on a full dinner flight as the message you are giving to the AA/US pax. about AY dinners is quite far from the truth with this above AA comparison?

You should have said you compare AY dinners against AA snack flights which are outside the dinner/lunch windows either due to flight length and/or dep. time.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Not true anymore!

Ok, understand, so this was a question about the meal windows. Can I ask how many times have you been on AA dom. First on a full dinner flight as the message you are giving to the AA/US pax. about AY dinners is quite far from the truth with this above AA comparison?

You should have said you compare AY dinners against AA snack flights which are outside the dinner/lunch windows either due to flight length and/or dep. time.
Since AA "enhanced" their domestic meals as of September 1, I can assure you both that AY business class meals intra-EU wipes the floor with the garbage AA is offering these days as lunch or dinner in domestic F. If you don't believe me, go to AA Forum and see it yourself, there are several threads with pictures. It's pretty bad these days on AA...!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.