Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair and Flybe to part ways

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:18 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Finnair and Flybe to part ways

Flybe is to give up their stake in flybe nordic. Finnair to see massive losses.

Flybe and Finnair have agreed to restructure the ownership of their jointly owned Flybe Nordic venture, and Flybe has agreed to sell the shares that it holds in Flybe Nordic to a potential new majority shareholder or to Finnair for the price of one euro. The sale of the shares is conditional only upon approval being received from the competition authorities.
“The financial performance of our joint venture has not developed according to the expectations of its shareholders. We haven’t been able to arrive at a common view to resolve the profitability issues, and therefore the companies have agreed to discontinue the cooperation. Finnair aims to find a new majority shareholder and a business model that would enable the development of regional flying in a financially sustainable way,” says Pekka Vauramo, Finnair CEO.
Finnair’s balance sheet includes a 9.9 million euro subordinated loan issued to Flybe Finland in 2011. Finnair has written down the value of its Flybe Nordic AB shares following the realized losses of Flybe Finland.

Finnair also has advance payment and other operational receivables from Flybe Finland. Due to Flybe Finland’s ownership change and the need to restructure its operations, it is possible that a part of these receivables cannot be collected. Finnair is also considering giving working capital financing to Flybe Finland. Finnair estimates that the resulting financial impacts will not exceed -20 million euros. The exact overall impact will be communicated when the ownership structure is defined.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Read the press release this morning. Holy cow, that is going to hit AY hard. Essentially their entire strategy of outsourcing everything other than the Airbus operation is now at stake.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:15 am

Sad news for Finnair. Good luck finding another partner. Finnair is buying Flybe´s share for one euro. Who want to offer more? Any airline moguls out here?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:31 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Wow, those calculations and projections went a bit awry...
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Should we collect some money on FT and offer 1,50?

I mean we sure have the knowledge of what the customer wants!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 4:48 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by tsastor
Should we collect some money on FT and offer 1,50?

I mean we sure have the knowledge of what the customer wants!
Well, with those shares comes the ownership of the debts too, so ...

Originally Posted by SPBanker
Wow, those calculations and projections went a bit awry...
I am quite surprised, was under the impression unit costs had fallen and they were heading the right way. Traffic performance numbers were up.

What will happen to the fleet renewal for shorhaul now? If flybe unit cost wasn't low enough, how can AY finance new metal?
And the growth strategy on longhaul? It is dependent on a growth in feeder traffic.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
if Finnair now will take over Flybe routes, at least I hope ex-TLL redemptions on AA and BA will be available, right now TLL does not exist for other Oneworld carriers, but AY.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:48 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

I do not think AY will take over any routes.
If, and that we don't know, Flybe does not find a buyer for their 60%, AY will buy it for 1€. It will still be "Flybe Nordic AB" and its subsidiary "Flybe finland" operating as far as I can understand.

Last edited by intuition; Nov 12, 2014 at 10:55 am
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
I doubt they will be called Flybe after the deal is through. Maybe Finnaviation or Aero or even Kar-Air?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Do they still own the Finnish commuter airlines brand?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
FinnaBe WannaFly?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Maybe FlyBe, maybe not. Ehkä otin, ehkä en.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Richey66
Maybe FlyBe, maybe not. Ehkä otin, ehkä en.
I think the British outfit is sometimes called Flymaybe
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I think the British outfit is sometimes called Flymaybe
Indeed it is, and for good reason too! ;-)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I didn't understand why they insisted on operating as an independent airline with no alliance benefits rather than as an integrated express operator like American Eagle. For me, they were as unattractive as any other non-allied airline, and I didn't fly with them once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.