Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Finnair

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

New to Finnair

In November we are booked on OSL-HEL-SIN and BKK-HEL-OSL in Y.

From what I have read I am not expecting too much, just a very basic flying experience. HEL-SIN I am lucky enough to be on one of the old ex AF 340's so have to bring my own laptop for movies etc

On both ways not a lot of seats are pre reserved. Is that normal for AY about 4 weeks before departure? Or do suggest to book a seat in advance?
We will arrive in BKK the night before from DPS and stay overnight at the airport. Any possibilities of checking in luggage the night before?

Any other suggestions of regular AY flyers?

Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Oslo Dutch
On both ways not a lot of seats are pre reserved. Is that normal for AY about 4 weeks before departure? Or do suggest to book a seat in advance?
It is quite common that the seat map is quite free this early. I don't think it much reflects to the amount of people booked. Usually, if you check-in early, you have good selection of seats to choose from. But then again, I have not really paid attention to this lately as I get free seat selection anyway. If you have strong opinions on your seating, then pre-booking makes sense...

We will arrive in BKK the night before from DPS and stay overnight at the airport. Any possibilities of checking in luggage the night before?

Any other suggestions of regular AY flyers?
You might be able to check your bags through to the final destination. Make sure you have a printed boarding pass for the latter leg of your journey, or at least a document with all the information. To be honest, I have not been able to this myself but I know some people have been successful.

In general, you should be able to go to transfer desk in SIN and have the bags re-checked to the latter leg, without touching them yourself. However, Finnair transfer and check-in desks are generally open maybe 3 hours before the flight, so it all depends on your time of arrival to SIN. If the transfer desk is open (or the check-in counter) at the time you arrive to SIN, you should be able to re-check the bags. Otherwise, no.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:57 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
As there is no oneworld flight DPS-BKK, and since DPS isn't the brightest place in the world, I doubt you will be able to check bags through DPS-OSL. By all means do try, but be prepared if it won't work.

Status members can reserve seats for free and other have to pay, so that might be a reason why the seat map looks quite empty.

It might make sense to book a seat in advance if you want to make it a bit more comfortable. Sadly, the economy comfort hasn't launched at the time of your flights, so seats of interest is limited to exit row and bulkhead. Someone else has to answer if it is worth the money, I have never flow longhaul in Y.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:06 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
BTW, airport check in at BKK opens 4h ahead of take off. Outside of that window I don't think you will be able to drop bags.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:22 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Like intuition said, you most likely won't be able to get your bags checked through from DPS, it will depend on the carrier and it might work from carrier XX to AY, definitely more hard to get it done vice versa...however, many Asian carriers still have customer service mentality and interlining agreements in place.

DPS airport is, actually, relatively sophisticated place so worth a try.

This is crucial for your "one night in Bangkok" as with luggage you're stuck on landside at BKK until the next morning when AY CI opens. Then your options are more limited and I would recommend the Novotel for some sleep. BKK is a 24/7 airport with some pay per visit -lounges with showers etc. available, if you do not have access by other means but all this is useless without getting rid of the luggage first..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.