Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair removing complimentary service in short haul Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair removing complimentary service in short haul Y

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2014, 3:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Pre-ordered the beef, chicken korma, and pasta recently for 10EUR. Interestingy, its made by LSG in Germany, in the same facility that makes the deep frozen stuff for longhaul Y. The food quality was very good.

No image of the beef, my wife has an aversion of photographing airplane food
Old Dec 26, 2014, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Pre-ordered the beef, chicken korma, and pasta recently for 10EUR. Interestingy, its made by LSG in Germany, in the same facility that makes the deep frozen stuff for longhaul Y. The food quality was very good.

No image of the beef, my wife has an aversion of photographing airplane food
The facility in Germany that produces the Lufti food or the AY food for long haul? It would explain a lot about Y food these days if it is produced in one country, transported to another, and to be served on a flight.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 12:06 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

LSG has a few sites worldwide that make the food you are served in Y in various airlines. They are frozen to >-18C and gradually thawed just before delivery to the aircraft in the frames for the oven where it is heated inflight. The food I got had the 'EG' food stamp as per EC/853/2004 which is also on the economy food served in LH longhaul.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
LSG has a few sites worldwide that make the food you are served in Y in various airlines. They are frozen to >-18C and gradually thawed just before delivery to the aircraft in the frames for the oven where it is heated inflight. The food I got had the 'EG' food stamp as per EC/853/2004 which is also on the economy food served in LH longhaul.
I did not realise that the process had been this centralised, but it does explain quite a bit about Y food. From a production and cost perspective it does make sense, I am not sure it does for the flavours.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 2:34 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
A good freeze process and unbroken -18© delivery chain should preserve it close to perfect. I think the worse food killers are the airlines themselves. Either their heating process or delays.
For example, I think AY heats their bread pre takeoff, because if delayed, you get buns that has turned into toast. (or perhaps ovens are set to "thaw and heat" but buns have thawn by themselves during delay so the get overheated)

Also, the croissants (longhaul breakfast) can be very good, but most of the times they are very soggy. Either not heated enough or heated prematurely and laying cooling off somewhere before they manage to serve them.

IMO getting a decent tasting meal out is possible, but you need to run a tight ship and have full control over your timings. Many airlines are just not good enough in this department.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intuition
A good freeze process and unbroken -18© delivery chain should preserve it close to perfect. I think the worse food killers are the airlines themselves. Either their heating process or delays.
For example, I think AY heats their bread pre takeoff, because if delayed, you get buns that has turned into toast. (or perhaps ovens are set to "thaw and heat" but buns have thawn by themselves during delay so the get overheated)

Also, the croissants (longhaul breakfast) can be very good, but most of the times they are very soggy. Either not heated enough or heated prematurely and laying cooling off somewhere before they manage to serve them.

IMO getting a decent tasting meal out is possible, but you need to run a tight ship and have full control over your timings. Many airlines are just not good enough in this department.
I think it is often more about what they choose to serve. In my experience the curry the TG serves is usually quite good, and they are also well suited for reheating. Where as a chicken breast in a whole piece is more difficult to get good after reheating.

The timing will also count for a fair share of the outcome, and guessing the state of thawed for a delay as compared to refrigerated is probably not a benefit.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jan 2, 2015 at 3:43 pm
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:21 pm

Today on our way back the family enjoyed the pre-ordered meals again and I went for the thai green curry on board:

t seems they just reheat one of those ambiant meals you can buy in the supermarket in the convenience aisle. This one was from a Thai owned Belgian company called "Top's" http://www.topsfoods.com/

It was pretty spicy, and OK, but the reheated LSG stuff is better.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
oliver2002, is that for longhaul or shorthaul?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Those are shorthaul payable Y meals. For longhaul Y better eat in the lounge or at an airport restaurant, as an alternative maybe order a Hindu meal.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Shorthaul Europe of stage length >2h

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.