Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

oneWorld awards using Finnair points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 1:22 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

When it comes to burning points I'm a rookie. Maybe the oneWorld forum would be a better place to ask but I'll try here first:
  1. Where to search for OW award availability? (is there an easy trick like joining a certain FF-program just for the searches, or is paid services the best option?)
  2. Any routes/airports/airlines to favour or avoid, when it comes to taxes/fees and such?
Old May 26, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: LH SEN
I have used ba.com Executive Club "Using Avios" search engine for checking availability. Year ago I booked HKG-ORD-HKG in CX F for some 213 € + 300k AY+ points (cx.com priced the same flights for around 19 k€. ). More lately booked EWR-HKG-SIN-HKG-JFK in CX J, 242 € + 220k AY+ points.

Not a "real" oneworld award combining several OW carriers but something else than AY anyway.
Old May 26, 2014, 3:57 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Various FF booking engines plus expertflyer should give you a pretty good picture what is available. Booking with AY is easiest over the phone, have you rough plan with optional routes/dates available and you should be fine.

You can also put the booking on hold for few days before ticketing so you can plan further / do changes.
Old May 27, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by esledo
I HKG-ORD-HKG in CX F for some 213 € + 300k AY+ points (cx.com priced the same flights for around 19 k€. ). More lately booked EWR-HKG-SIN-HKG-JFK in CX J, 242 € + 220k AY+ points.

Another OW rookie here. Above quote sounds like value, being F, compared to AY J award of 200/250k? Sounds like spending AY J may not be the best value/points option after all? Well, I just wonder about ex-HEL anywhere. Looks like I gotta do some studying next time redeeming long-haul.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by FFlash
Another OW rookie here. Above quote sounds like value, being F, compared to AY J award of 200/250k? Sounds like spending AY J may not be the best value/points option after all? Well, I just wonder about ex-HEL anywhere. Looks like I gotta do some studying next time redeeming long-haul.
For example if you buy a BA award ticket to North America with points it includes the HEL-LHR flight on AY metal. So 275K points + ~300€ taxes for BA F from Europe (incl. Helsinki) to North America.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Interesting. More "taxes" on BA J/F when you book with Avios
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:51 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
So I have had a look at this, and expertflyer does not show award availability on JL, BA, CX or QR. QF and AA is included, but AA is not really helpful for my pattern and QF mostly connects with Emirates, so I guess it will be difficult to find awards from here to asia/australasia with expertflyer.

From comments above I understand BAEC can find availability on BA and CX at least?
And it does allow me to search from an empty BAEC account?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Is it worth burning points on OW rewards if you can use them on AY upgrades, whose availability can be checked before making a booking and can be done to any econ fare, even the cheapest one?

On SQ for instance you cannot check availability beforehand and you can only upgrade from expensive econ fares.

Of course it's a different story if you need to fly on a route not operated by AY...
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by intuition
From comments above I understand BAEC can find availability on BA and CX at least?
And it does allow me to search from an empty BAEC account?
Yes, both correct.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 1:21 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aster
Is it worth burning points on OW rewards if you can use them on AY upgrades, whose availability can be checked before making a booking and can be done to any econ fare, even the cheapest one?

On SQ for instance you cannot check availability beforehand and you can only upgrade from expensive econ fares.

Of course it's a different story if you need to fly on a route not operated by AY...
Very true. AY upgrades are good value. Trouble is, I'm seeing signs of upgrade availability drying up. If I need to book 6 months in advance, and only fly tuesdays to be able to get upgraded then it wont work for me. I usually manage to burn my vouchers but no points in a year.
I hope I'm wrong, but if Finnair is changing the rules, I need to prepare a different strategy.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
I want/need to burn some of my X.XXX.XXX AY points, and I seek over and over again (on ba.com), just I don t find any awards in the next 12 month to an destination of my choice (US West Coast, Australia, South Africa or Buenos Aires). Can anybody point me the way?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:42 am

AY told me upgrade awards were not possible on other OW carriers, if I understood it right?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:44 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by JoWa
AY told me upgrade awards were not possible on other OW carriers, if I understood it right?
That is correct.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:17 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ed Size
I want/need to burn some of my X.XXX.XXX AY points, and I seek over and over again (on ba.com), just I don t find any awards in the next 12 month to an destination of my choice (US West Coast, Australia, South Africa or Buenos Aires). Can anybody point me the way?
I never got ba.com to work reliably for me, and now the availabililty search says "Sorry, the map to check flight prices and availability is not working at the moment."

So I'm doing +1 on Ed's question and asking where to search for avilability? (when expertflyer and ba.com is ruled out as per above)
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black, A-Club Platinum, Hilton Silver, SPG Gold, Rica Gold, EBB
Cx award with finnair plus points

Does anyone know how many Finnair plus points is needed to book a trip hong Kong- Taipei in first.
In avios it's 14500 avios one way.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.