Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Is it worth purchasing Finnair points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it worth purchasing Finnair points?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 7:45 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by aster

Speaking of the upgrade checker, have they fixed it already or are there still browser issues when using it?
I still have trouble with it. Not sure what the reason is. Sometimes cannot see availability when logged in, but accessing link without giving credentials works. Or maybe it is just random, sometime works sometimes doesn't.

Also the flakiness with reporting some days as "no more seats" and some days as "Your flight could not be found" is still there.

Old Oct 18, 2014, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Has anyone checked out the 40% bonus offer on buying AY points?

Due to the current site upgeade when I click on "Buy points" the page that loads up just has the words "null." Does anyone recall the price for 40,000 (+bonus 40%) miles?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aster
Has anyone checked out the 40% bonus offer on buying AY points?

Due to the current site upgeade when I click on "Buy points" the page that loads up just has the words "null." Does anyone recall the price for 40,000 (+bonus 40%) miles?
the normal price for 1000 points is 12,5 .
Old Oct 19, 2014, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
56,000 miles for 500 Euro then, that doesn't seem to bad. Especially considering you can get a Europe - SIN 1-way biz upgrade for 60k miles...
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:50 am
Original Poster

I take it the promo never gets any better, so if someone needs to purchase some miles then now is the time to do so?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
A bit OT question but related to buying points:

Could someone check how much taxes and fees it costs to redeem business award on AY HEL-SYD round-bounce?

I tried on AY webpage but it did not let me enter further than showing availability for 320k points. I am short some 50k and looking for options how to get my better half with me to the aussies. If redemption cost is low, I might buy points, but if very costly, then I rather stash a stack of cash.

EDIT: please those who snatched THAT deal, please do not remind me of getting those points there, I missed it!!! GRRRRRR
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:41 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Isn't that the same taxes as on an revenue ticket? If so, 527

Taxes/fees HEL-SYD via HKG:
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:46 am

I hope it is the same as on revenue ticket that's why I asked...

I guess your quote was a "dummy award", intuition? Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:48 am
Moderator, Finnair

No, sorry, that was a revenue ticket!

I don't keep so many point around in my AY+ account so I can check. (Silly AY demanding points in the account before allowing to search for awards)
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:17 am

Seems to be 320 000 pts + 482,34 EUR. This was for next year 03.04.2016 - 17.04.2016 and with QF flight number for the furthest leg.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 12:34 pm

Thanks theBro! This is good enough bang for the buck for me
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by FFlash
A bit OT question but related to buying points:

Could someone check how much taxes and fees it costs to redeem business award on AY HEL-SYD round-bounce?

I tried on AY webpage but it did not let me enter further than showing availability for 320k points. I am short some 50k and looking for options how to get my better half with me to the aussies. If redemption cost is low, I might buy points, but if very costly, then I rather stash a stack of cash.

EDIT: please those who snatched THAT deal, please do not remind me of getting those points there, I missed it!!! GRRRRRR
You might want to look at AA - they sell now (August) 100k miles for ca. 2000 USD and you pay about 20 bucks YQ to SYD. I think it's 90k miles to SYD with LOTS of routing options.

I'm in the same shoes as you are (taking the better half down under), so I'm on the brink of pulling the trigger. As an alternative I'm thinking of taking the AA Plat challenge, and credit my upcoming Asian flights to AA (with the 100% elite bonus it's very lucrative)

OK, I see that you are only short 50k AY points, so actually it's less cash going the AY+ route.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
You might want to look at AA - they sell now (August) 100k miles for ca. 2000 USD and you pay about 20 bucks YQ to SYD. I think it's 90k miles to SYD with LOTS of routing options.

I'm in the same shoes as you are (taking the better half down under), so I'm on the brink of pulling the trigger. As an alternative I'm thinking of taking the AA Plat challenge, and credit my upcoming Asian flights to AA (with the 100% elite bonus it's very lucrative)

OK, I see that you are only short 50k AY points, so actually it's less cash going the AY+ route.

One could buy a new Opel car and get 50000 ay points for "free" 😂👍
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:03 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
EUR-SYD with AA Miles:
90k in Coach
120k in Business
160k in First
In this case coach shouldnt even be an option.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by HJP
EUR-SYD with AA Miles:
90k in Coach
120k in Business
160k in First
In this case coach shouldnt even be an option.
It never is!

Thanks for the correction, 120k AA is still a good deal, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.