Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

J minicabin turned into Y increasingly often

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J minicabin turned into Y increasingly often

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
As OWS I have never seen the minicabin open up on the seat map. My recommendation would be to ask at check-in.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 6:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Plt, AY, M&M, FB G, CX Gold, AX Plat, CC gold, Le Club plt, Scandic 2nd floor
Originally Posted by Laajo
I have been told that minicabin pre-reservation can be allowed e.g. only for certain tier level passangers e.g. for Emeralds. In case you are OWS this may be the case. And they may still open the minicabin reservation just before departure for anybody and/or give seats to minicabin during airport check-in.
Well, I called to AY+ service number and asked about those seats to be assigned for me. I tried everything... Answer was that they don't pre-assign those seats to anyone before check in and I should ask that at the airport again. However, they managed to find me seats with the baby cot from the row 21.
I wonder why they didn't gave me those seats earlier when making the reservation? I was asking those seats the, but they said they are reserved blaa blaa blaa...

At least now we have good seats and still possibility to check at the airport for the minicabin seats.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 7:09 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Eh? It is not unheard of keeping baby cot seats blocked, so that those who do need them can be assigned them, without the need of moving other pax.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've picked some of those mini-cabin seats myself on economy class tickets -- including some that were award tickets -- and done so during online check-in. I was AA Emerald/Sapphire or BA Emerald/Sapphire at the time.

I probably still have my AY boarding passes for some of the HEL-JFK flights where I've had benefit of this. [Not sure why the following would take place, but on the service connecting NYC and HEL, I have only had this work out on the flights going into JFK but not the flights going out of JFK and into HEL.]
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I suppose you were OWE. As I wrote earlier I cannot do this as OWS.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
I am Finnair Silver with the rest of my family just base tier members (two of them kids) and I was able to check-in online and put all 4 of us in the C mini-cabin.

This was less than 2 weeks ago.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by remymartin
I suppose you were OWE. As I wrote earlier I cannot do this as OWS.
There's a chance that I was Emerald with both AA and BA at the time of some of these flights, but I would be sort of surprised if I wasn't using a Sapphire account at least some of the times where this happened.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Is there any chance there could be a connection between the booking/fare code and the possibility of getting those C seats?

When I was able to secure those seats it was after I had changed our return date, which cost about 40% of the total cost of the tix and probably bumped me into a different (and more expensive) fare class.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by aster
Is there any chance there could be a connection between the booking/fare code and the possibility of getting those C seats?
Yes, with Pro -ticket you are priority for those C seats in Y class.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
I had the opportunity to get one of those seats this week JFK-HEL. Felt almost like an upgrade. I had a cheap Y ticket and while OLCI showed those seats as part of the Y cabin, they were all marked non-available. I politely asked at the check-in desk, where I was about 1,5 hrs before departure time, and got one of those seats – I have asked before, too, but no luck then.

Overall, AY tends to value money more than status so someone flying statusless on an expensive Y ticket is probably more likely to get one of those seats than someone with status (especially OW status) and a cheap ticket.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:59 pm
Suspended

When I was able to secure those seats it was after I had changed our return date, which cost about 40% of the total cost of the tix and probably bumped me into a different (and more expensive) fare class.

Yes, but I've also gotten these seats on (AA-issued or BA-issued) award tickets quite a few times.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by ffay005
Overall, AY tends to value money more than status so someone flying statusless on an expensive Y ticket is probably more likely to get one of those seats than someone with status (especially OW status) and a cheap ticket.
If it was up to me I would upgrade according to the highest paying econ fare. So someone on an expensive full-fare, flexible ticket would stand the highest chance of getting into the C mini-cabin. Such an added "bonus" would also make getting a pricier ticket more enticing, though of course there would be no guarantee of getting bumped.

When I flew almost 2 weeks ago and got those 4 seats in rows 6 & 7 the entire C mini-cabin was filled with Y pax (you can tell when it comes to meal-time or drinks being served). So it might be a good idea to book one's flights on dates where Y class is over-sold but C is relatively empty.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, BW Plt, AY, M&M, FB G, CX Gold, AX Plat, CC gold, Le Club plt, Scandic 2nd floor
Originally Posted by intuition
Eh? It is not unheard of keeping baby cot seats blocked, so that those who do need them can be assigned them, without the need of moving other pax.
Well, that's why I wanted to have those seats as I am travelling with an infant..
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Saturne-79
Well, that's why I wanted to have those seats as I am travelling with an infant..
I was pleasently surprised that I was recently able to choose seats 21A-C online at the time of reservation on AY5 with an AA ticket (will be travelling with an infant). I am OWS.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I am Finnair Silver with the rest of my family just base tier members (two of them kids) and I was able to check-in online and put all 4 of us in the C mini-cabin.

This was less than 2 weeks ago.
I hope this will work for me as well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.